FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First dose of Taxrene

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PinkWarrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First dose of Taxrene
    Posted: Mar 03 2018 at 9:20am
I am a new member. I was diagnosed with TNBC stage 2 in October tumor was 2.6 cm. I had my sential node biopsy in early November and lymph nodes were negative. I had four rounds of AC and my tumor had shrunk to 1.2 cm. Which I was so happy with. I started taxsol in Jan and after 2 doses of taxsol I had to stop because of my liver functions and my heart rate went really high also had a reaction while getting my infusion. So I was stopped on that and started on Taxotere. I had my first dose of that on Feb 12th and did great but a few days later I noticed that my lump was much bigger different feeling. My oncologist told me not to worry but I am of course and wondering how and why it would feel like that. One minute it feels hard they next spongey. Wondering if anyone has had this happen. Thanks. PinkWarrior
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2018 at 10:31am
Good morning,
I don't know the answer to your question for sure because I had a mastectomy first but if I'm remembering correctly I've read on the forum from mainsailset or Donna maybe that the tumor will change and get softer feeling as the chemo begins working. I'm no medical professional and they will correct what I think if I'm wrong.
I'm sorry you're feeling such anxiety and had such a bad time of the Taxol.
If they don't see your post over the weekend send one of them a private message.

Edited by cheeks - Mar 03 2018 at 10:32am
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2018 at 10:44am
Thank you so much I appreciate it. Never had anxiety in my life until this diagnosis

Thanks again
PinkWarroir
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2018 at 3:06pm
Pink warrior,
Anxiety is VERY normal in this situation. Please do not feel bad about it or think you are not being”strong” enough or as tough as usual. Be kind to yourself, allow the emotions you feel and talk about it to someone you trust not to judge. Come here and talk to us or a professional OR all of those choices you have. This is not a normal situation for any of us. Some women do take something like Ativan for a short period of time and I think that’s fine if my opinion matters at all.
I was recently diagnosed again after 9 years. A new occurrence in The remaining breast. Although I’m doing really well this time around my oncologist did prescribe me 2 Ativan for the biopsy breast MRI just so I could lay still enough and relaxed for those things! Do not like those MRI machines but I was okay.
I hope you have a good weekend and feel some peace and calm. Try to stay in the moment and say to yourself I am okay today. Looking forward creates anxiety for me so i really try to just take a deep breath, look at the blue sky, notice the birds and the trees and cry if you need to.

Blair
Lump found 11/08
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2018 at 6:47pm
PinkWarrior,

Anxiety is the hardest thing to get under control after a cancer diagnosis.  I never thought it was an issue for me until I was diagnosed.  Since then it can be a full time job keeping it under control.  Don't be afraid to ask your oncologist for something to help with the anxiety.  For me during treatment, ativan helped.  Others have found help with antidepressants.  I always found night time was the hardest part when I'd go to bed and close my eyes.  It seemed my brain wanted to go 100 miles an hour and never stop.  I had the hardest time turning it off and spent so many sleepless nights battling anxiety.  It's something all of us go through.  Many cancer centers offer free counseling to their cancer patients.  They work with you about cognitive behavior changes like meditation practices.  See if there is a Cancer Support Community close to you.  They also offer so many programs that are helpful.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2018 at 10:24am
Thanks for all the advice. I think most of the anxiety in the last week is wondering if this lump that magically got bigger over the last month is growing or if I have scar tissue in there. Very nerve wrecking.
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2018 at 10:44am
Has your oncologist felt the changes by exam? Or seen it by doing another scan? If not, and you really want it checked for changes tell your oncologist, insist if needed. It is your body and your life!

Blair

Edited by cheeks - Mar 04 2018 at 10:45am
Lump found 11/08
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2018 at 1:26pm
I agree with Blair.  I would ask them to do a scan or at least an ultrasound.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2018 at 3:38pm
I'd insist on an ultrasound as well. Since its causing you anxiety, I'd call tomorrow and say "I'm coming in TODAY for a scan, is there a time that's best?" Be firm. I had my first ever anxiety attack during treatment - awful! A Xanax now and then when it's bad helped me a lot. It's addictive so I'd only use them when it was particularly bad. I now ask for one whenever I'm getting a tedious scan- MRI, PET, CAT. I realized I was _miserable_ during them, Xanax makes me not care so much :) My doctor has no problem calling in a prescription for just a couple pills.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2018 at 5:03pm
Thank you all. I have an appt tomorrow to actually see my oncologist and have chemo.   So we will be talking about a lot of things.
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2018 at 9:24pm
Pink warrior
So glad to hear that you have an appointment soon. I hope that your anxiety will be relieved after seeing your oncologist. Good luck
Lump found 11/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2018 at 9:17pm
I had an appt on Monday with my oncologist and also had my second round of Taxotrene this time at full dose. We are hoping we see a response to my tumor by the measurement she has done in the office. If she doesn’t then I will get referred back to surgery get my bi lateral mastectomies and wait to see what final pathology results are. May need radiation and go on Xeloda for 6 months. So I pray a lot that my blood work is good and my tumor starts to shrink again then I can just get the last two chemos and continue to surgery. And on a side note I had neulasta this time around and the joint pain was awful the worse I have ever had. I did take Claritin just wondering if anyone else recommends anything else. Thanks
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2018 at 9:23pm
Hi PinkWarrior,

I had terrible bone pain from the Neulasta shot.  It was 24 to 48 hours of excruciating pain.  The Claritin helped, but only made it bearable.  Some people have more noticeable side effects from the shot than others.  I took it as a sign my body was working hard to rebuild the white blood cells.  

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2018 at 9:37pm
I had awful pain in my hips and legs, I took hydrocodone and helped a lot. If I had trouble sleeping from it I took Lunesta and it works like a champ for me. Now is the time to take whatever medications you need to get thru in the least miserable way - that's what my oncologist told me and she was right. I also went on antidepressant after about my fifth of 8 treatments the first time and they helped as well. I stayed in them for six months. You should talk to your doctor about all the side effects you are having, discuss your options. The more comfortable you are the more rest you get, and rest is what your body needs to get thru. I hope you are amazing results!
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2018 at 9:38pm
Thanks it was awful for sure. Could hardly bear to walk. I guess fixes one thing and gives you another.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2018 at 10:41pm
Pinkwarrior,

For what it's worth, a few years after chemo I had an infusion of Reclast (Zometa) due to osteopenia.  I had the same side horrible effects as the Neulasta shot.  The bone doctor said it was a sign my body was actively working to rebuild.  While painful, it was a good sign and side effect. A year later after the infusion she said I had higher than expected results.  So far no more infusions needed as my bone density improved and we are just monitoring it.  She said if I need another infusion down the road, we'll try Prolia as it has fewer side effects.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic