FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi all. I'm a new member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Judy15ws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy15ws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi all. I'm a new member
    Posted: Mar 01 2018 at 1:03pm
It's hard to believe that I received my diagnosis of triple negative breast cancer only 2 days ago! It was a terrific shock, having read the statistics that 80% of breast biopsies are benign and hearing from 2 close friends that their biopsies were benign. But then, most of my life, I've been "different" - although usually by choice! Confused I haven't yet seen an oncologist, and haven't gotten my hands on my pathology report yet. I've just been doing general research into TNBC since I spent the time waiting to hear the biopsy results mooning in the bliss of denial as I was convinced that I had only one of the many risk factors for breast cancer, and I had breastfed my 3 children for a collective total of 3 years. After difficult conversations with my two grown sons and one of my daughters-in-law about the biopsy results, I started mulling over how embarrassing, almost, it is for me to have breast cancer. I was an active lactation counselor for 20 years, wrote a short manual on breastfeeding still found in breastfeeding clinics here, and my master's thesis involved a topic on breastfeeding. Huh. If I had a dollar for every time I quoted a study on the protective benefit of breastfeeding against breast cancer...... Anyhoo, the good news is that it was caught very early, the lump is only 1.5 mm. It was caught by routine mammography, followed by ultrasound, followed by biopsy. So here's to early detection!
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2018 at 2:46am
Hi Judy,

Nice to meet you and I wish it were not under these particular circumstances.
I also have 2 grown sons and a daughter in law. These conversations can be difficult but if your children(adults) are like mine they love their mom very much and give great hugs, I hope so. They seem to handle things better when I'm open and honest with them and don't hold anything back including my tears if i happen to do a little leaking now and then.
You have a lot ahead of you, lots of information to absorb and decisions to make. I hope you have someone to go with you to your appointments. Please be sure to ask someone to go with you when meeting with the oncologist and surgeon. Get a second opinion.That's important.
My heart goes out to you.
I know you will hear from more of the wonderful people here in the coming days. Ask ANYTHING. No question is too big or small. I asked things when I first joined the site that I thought might be stupid questions...like what do those abbreviations mean you all are using?
Its been a few years since I've been active on the forum but I'm back again and it feels like home.

Blair

Edited by cheeks - Mar 03 2018 at 2:50am
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic