FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First infusion done and I am still alive!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First infusion done and I am still alive!
    Posted: Jan 06 2018 at 11:05am
Well, I am so glad to say I made it through my first infusion.  It really was not bad at all.  There were some unavoidable delays, but hopefully things will run smoother the next time.  Only three more rounds of AC!

The pre meds seem to be working.  I do have a headache, but it is manageable.  I am tired, but I think that is just relief from having the first infusion over.  The oncology nurses said to take a compozine last night "to be sure" and today I start the Zofran at 5:00.  This morning I took another compozine just "to be sure" too.  LOL

We could not get the Granix injections delivered in time so my MO's nurse went ahead and did the Nulasta OnPro even though my MO is not fond of them.  She is just amazing!  I will probably do the Nulasta OnPro for the remaining three rounds of AC.  Then we will see about what to use with the Taxol/Carboplatin.

I am drinking lots of water, but still getting some bladder irritation.  The ON said that was a side effect of the Cytoxin.  Hope it goes away soon!  I feel like I am floating!

I am hoping to settle into a new "normal" routine in the next couple days.  Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and support.  You guys are amazing!

Ann
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2018 at 2:28pm
Ann,

So glad the first one is over!  I always thought the anticipation was the worst part of the cancer journey, whether it was diagnosis, testing, chemo, surgery or radiation.  

I think one of the side effects of Zofran is headaches.  

I'm so glad they have the Neulasta OnPro now.  When I got the Neulasta shot in 2009, you had to go back to the onc the next day to get the injection.  It's so much better that you can stay at home and rest.

On a side note - when I had Carboplatin (with Gemzar), I never had or needed the Neulasta shot.  Hopefully you won't need it either.

Keep us posted.  Yes, fatigue is probably the number one side effect. 

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2018 at 3:35pm
Thanks Donna! Have not had any Zofran yet. They said I can’t take that until this evening because it is just like one of the pre-meds. They said headaches we’re a side effect of one of the chemo drugs; I think it was Cytoxan. That seems to be gone now. For all I know, it just could have been stress! I start the Zofran this evening.

Carboplatin doesn’t start till March along with the Taxol. I know you can’t use Nulasta with that because the infusions are weekly.

I am just taking one day at a time and hoping side effects do not get worse!

Ann
Vickye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vickye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2018 at 2:58pm
I had horrible / debilitating headaches with the Cytoxan. ( not even migraine shots could ease) They increased the time by 30 minutes for the second session, but it still caused headaches. They finally increased it To a 2 1/2 hour Delivery and I took fioricet starting when I arrived for treatment and every 4 hours all day. I didn't have headaches the last 2 treatments. I start taxol on Friday. Ask them to slow down the delivery. It helped me tremendously.
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2018 at 6:40pm
Thanks Vicky:  The headaches were not bad and Tylenol did help.  I have Fuironal (sp?) if they get bad.  I was so anxious, I have no way of knowing what caused them but I will mention slowing down the Cytoxin next time.

Thanks for sharing this info!

Ann
Tlrtoffee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlrtoffee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 6:04pm
I do not know how to post withou replying to another members post.

I have received two opinions from two different oncologists. One at City of Hope who is breast oncologist for forty years who said he will only give me Carboplatin if I am BRACA positive. The other oncologist, a general oncologist with USC Norris, said he would only give me Carboplatin if I’m BRACA negative. Very conflicting information. I was misdiagnosed in July 2017 and diagnosed in December 2017. I’m very anxious to start chemo. I am believed to be Stage 2A, grade 3. A few studies I’ve read says that adding Carboplatin to Taxol second phase had shown great response no matter whether or not a person is BRACA postive or negative. My BRACA results should be back in a week to ten days. I can’t hold up my treatment but I know there is a golden window to do this right.

Lastly... I was told by one oncologist that PARP inhibitors are only being used for ovarian cancer as “the standard of Care.”

Finally, anyone familiar with Xeloda?

Thank you
Tlrtoffee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlrtoffee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 6:08pm
Carboplatin with Taxol or Taxol alone phase 2? I have two conflicting words of advice and treatment plans from two different oncologists. Newly diagnosed tnbc. Waiting BRACA results in a week to ten days.. Anxious to start chemo... supposed to start Monday. Need to get this right. Very concerned. Please advise.
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 6:56pm
According to Dr. Tiffany Traina at Slone Kettering (an expert on TNBC) YES to carboplatin in phase two.

Ann
Tlrtoffee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlrtoffee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2018 at 2:52am
Thank you for answering me. So yes to Carboplatin no matter what... it does not matter if I am BRACA positive or negative. Is that right? Just want to take this back to my oncologist.
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2018 at 9:23am
That is right. BRACA has no bearing on it. Carboplatin is especially indicated if you are looking for breast conservation. Google Tiffany Traina and you will find lots of info on Carbo.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic