FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chemo Bag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemo Bag
    Posted: Jan 03 2018 at 1:34pm
Thanks so much!  I wish I was at your point!  I will do 12 Taxol and Carboplatin after four rounds of dense dose AC.  Carbo will be with every third Taxol.  I cant wait till I am done on Friday.  I will feel much better I think.

Ann
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2018 at 1:31pm
Thanks, again, For great info.  I think you are absolutely right.  The emotional end is killing me.  I have issues with anxiety to start with and this sure does not help!  Thank heavens for Ativan!  I think I will feel much better after my first appointment is done.  Hopefully.

Ann
ClistaR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ClistaR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2018 at 12:39am
It's normal to feel very anxious. You will do fine, it isn't easy but it is doable. I'm doing 11 of 12 of my taxol tomorrow. Let me know if you need an ear. Smile
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2018 at 4:28pm
Thanks so much. Those are great ideas! I will find out a bit more tomorrow when I have Chemo Education. Hopefully anxiety will go down some once I can “picture” what things will be like. MRight now I am a basket case!
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2018 at 2:01pm
My first time my husband and I went out and bought a new tote for our chemo jaunts. We caught a sale and bought a really nice red one that is still our fave overnighter bag. I'd crocheted baby blankets over the years since I was a teenager, I decided to make an adult blanket for us. The week before chemo i went and picked out a lovely yarn, the softest stuff I could find. I ended up ordering more yarn online, I stopped when I finished treatment - it's a king size blanky :) my husband and dog are under it as I type this, lol. We'd put in snacks. When Taxol was on the days agenda I'd add sweaters (always ice your hands and feet during Taxol infusions to stave off neuropathy) DVDs (if you get a private room with a player), magazines, newspapers, puzzle books (I worried about chemo brain so I ordered crossword, sudoku, logic, etc. Books from PennyDell online). Houseshoes or fuzzy socks for that comfortable snuggly feeling. A lil plush pillow to help keep me comfy in the Chemo Recliner. Tablet or laptop during my most recent go round. There's usually a kitchen in the chemo area with a fridge offering bottled water, juices, coffee, hot water for tea and snacks like crackers, trail mix, cookies. I'd drink lots and lots of water - the equivalent of 10-12 bottles a day. It became a habit the first time that I still have today. Flush those chemicals thru your system! Think physical comfort and mental distraction - things to pass the time. I've done 20 infusions between the 2 times of treatment, they were all honestly NBD, in hindsight. It's mostly the emotional trauma of what you're doing that's hard! The chemo nurses were all amazing people, they took exceptional care of me Keep your notepad and pencil in there to take notes, as well as keep notes at home of questions you have for the Dr and nurses. I always had them give me a hard copy of my blood test results every appointment, I kept a notebook with pockets in my bag to keep those and anything else they have me (a nutritionist would come round and chat about what to eat considering my condition, like anemia. The metallic taste issues, etc. Ask to meet the one that works the chemo ward if one doesn't automatically show up). I'd write down each day what meds to take at what times and check off as I took each dose. I'd set timers on my phone. Taking all the meds in a timely fashion is crucial to keeping the side effects at bay! You'll be on the other side of this before you know it.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2017 at 6:14pm
Since my chemo start is coming up very quickly, I was starting to wonder what to put in my chemo bag.  I have been told it will take about 2 1/2 hours.  what did you veterans take with you?

Thanks,  Ann
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic