FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restaging - from Stage IV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lindsay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lindsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restaging - from Stage IV
    Posted: Oct 06 2017 at 5:01pm
Hello all,
My MIL is doing incredibly well with treatment for stage IV, triple negative...she tested BRCA neg as well. After one treatment, her 10cm tumor was not able to be felt anymore. After four treatments, she had a near complete response according to radiology reports, from multiple tumors in both breasts, multiple lymph nodes involved, and some tumors in her legs to almost complete healing - all but the bones, and even they are showing signs around the outer edges of the tumors. I hope I am explaining all of this in a way that makes sense.

Cisplatin plus her clinical trial (Veliparib or Placebo) are kicking the cancer out, and she is able to tolerate treatment exceptionally. Her bloodwork is all great, with minimal side effects. She has now had five treatments, and her oncologist mentioned (and wrote in her report) that they are fairly certain they will restage her after the next two treatments, barring any negative side effects that would prevent her to continue. 

Is this common? She was Stage 4 from the get-go, so this has been a roller coaster. I know no one knows when their time will come, and I am not asking for a timeline. Rather, I am wondering if people ever drop down from stage IV to stage III?  I am confused as I thought any cancer that has spread to the bones is stage IV. TN seems so unpredictable that I'm wondering if it can be eradicated as quickly as it can grow. For what it's worth, she is at THE Mayo Clinic for treatment. We are all learning through this, but some things are harder to wrap the brain around. 

Thanks,
Lindsay  
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2017 at 5:32pm
Lindsay,

Interesting, I have never heard of restaging from Stage IV.  I thought if no cancer was detected after treatment, then it would be in remission (no evidence of disease).  Keep us posted on how your MIL is doing and what Mayo says about her staging.  The best news is she's responding to treatment with minimal side effects!  

Donna

Edited by 123Donna - Oct 06 2017 at 5:33pm
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Lindsay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lindsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2017 at 5:35pm
Thank you Donna. I was not at the appt where it was discussed, but that's how I understand from the oncology notes. Either way, all good news. Of course, we continue to hope for no evidence of disease. Hope you are well!
atlhoosier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlhoosier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2017 at 10:31pm
WOW! That is such amazing news!!  I wish your MIL continued healing!  Do you by chance, know the # of the study she is on?
DX Jan 2014, 37yo
TNBC, Stage 2A, 4 tumors, BMX Aug 2014, clear margins

2017 - Mets to lung (single nodule) & sacrum
1st line(current): clinical study w/ taxol & reparixin (may be placebo)
Lindsay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lindsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2017 at 12:35pm
I am not sure, sorry - I can try to look it up. I know if she's not getting the placebo, but trial drug is Veliparib. 
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2017 at 10:06pm
Lindsay,

Is this the study?

Cisplatin With or Without Veliparib in Treating Patients With Stage IV Triple-Negative and/or BRCA Mutation-Associated Breast Cancer

This study is currently recruiting participants.
Verified May 2017 by National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Sponsor:
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier:
NCT02595905
First Posted: November 4, 2015
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Lindsay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lindsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 9:45am
Yes, that's it! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic