FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting to hurt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kathudd12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kathudd12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting to hurt
    Posted: Aug 24 2017 at 9:34pm
I was diagnosed in January with Stage 2 TNBC, 11 days before my 43rd birthday. I started 4 rounds of AC on January 20th and then 12 rounds of Taxol on March 17th. Other than fatigue, I never had any illness, vomiting, or nausea! I feel very lucky to had went through chemo with no problems!! I finished chemo June 9th. Had a lumpectomy July 17th with 2 nodes removed. Was told by breast surgeon that I was cancer free. It felt wonderful but short lived. My oncologist isn't so sure. Although the nodes showed no cancer, the ACT didn't destroy all the cancer and there was a 1.5 cm mass left. So now after my 30 rounds of radiation I will have to take 6 months of Xeloda. I am extremely upset about it. And now, I am getting extreme soreness and stiffness in my fingers, toes, legs, feet, elbows and neck.It hurts to walk, roll over in bed, sit in a chair or walk down stairs. Has anyone else had this problem after chemo?
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2017 at 8:02pm
You said:  " Although the nodes showed no cancer, the ACT didn't destroy all the cancer and there was a 1.5 cm mass left."

The fact that you have no cancer in the lymph nodes is a huge positive.

I've said this before, but a Pathological Complete Response to chemo before any surgery is only about 25% of the time, some here feel free to correct me...

My wife had her tumor killed 75%, it was near 4.5cm, then after chemo before surgery there was 1.25cm tumor that was, it seems chemo-resistant, they think it was the "metaplastic" component, but that's another long subject....so we take that as a victory, the tumor was removed, so we try and move on, that's why she had Taxol chemo after surgery and then radiation.

Please don't be upset that you didn't have a complete response before lumpectomy. It happens.

There are members her who have taken Xeloda and these side affects should be addressed within days to your oncologist, I think.

Edited by gordon15 - Aug 27 2017 at 8:05pm
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
barrycarrot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote barrycarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2017 at 11:44am
Hi Kathudd12.

I faired through chemo extremely well also with little to no sickness, tiredness, etc. I worked full time during it all. I did however get the terrible bone pain that you are describing. Only difference is that mine started right around the same time I started the Taxol. It was not a delayed reaction as yours sounds since you are done with it now. I have a pretty high threshold for pain and I still had to get pain meds. It hurt so bad and there was no relief - sitting hurt, walking hurt, laying down hurt.

Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor and get pain meds if you need them. It will help you through.

I don't have a lot of information on the extra chemo that they are recommending. I would have thought with your clear nodes and now the tumor being removed, that those are good signs. However, I also know that I personally wanted to take/do anything and everything I could to kill the cancer and prevent it from every coming back. I didn't (and still don't) ever want to go through that again so I would have taken it if they told me I need it. Again, just my personal way of thinking.

I truly wish you the best. Hang in there!

Carrie
Age 40, DX: 12/10/15 Stage 1 TNBC, BRCA-, 7mm tumor in left breast, no nodes, ACT Chemo 1/4/16 - 4/15/16, Lumpectomy 5/16/16, PCR (Praise God!), radiation 6/22/16 -8/3/2016
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2017 at 8:09am
Kathhudd12,

I also had problems with the stiffness/soreness after chemo, especially getting up first thing in the morning.  It's probably from the Taxol and neuropathy side effects.  It does get better over time.

It's good they are recommending Xeloda for you.  Please read about the study results in the link below:

Xeloda improves survival for some breast cancer patients who do not achieve a pathological complete response to chemotherap

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Bendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2018 at 6:55pm
I am 7 years in remission from TNBC and still have painful neuropathy in my feet. My doctor recons it won’t go now as it’s been too long.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic