FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diagnosed last week

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diagnosed last week
    Posted: Oct 22 2017 at 1:37am
Hi Jacquie!  Thanks for sharing your story.  You will get through this - we will help you! 

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Jacquie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacquie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 4:21pm
I was diagnosed with TNBC approximately 3 1/2 weeks ago. It is Invasive Ductal Carcinoma and Invasive Ductal Carcinoma IN SITU stage 1 grade 3. I had a normal mammogram in April 2017 and accidentally found a lump while showering in late September. I happen to manage the Breast Care Center and General surgeons in my area hospital so was familiar with that diagnosis. I remember when hearing the words, unfortunately it is positive for breast cancer, I just cried and said I can’t die, my kids need me. My kids, 8 of them, and they all needed me in one way or another. My youngest 4 were home with my husband who has had two open heart surgeries and currently has an aneurysm in his aorta that is fused to his rib cage and needs to be removed in another state by a specialty hospital. He is disabled and was forbidden to work 4 years ago. I am the only income and now that was all in jeopardy due to my recent diagnosis. I immediately started thinking way ahead of myself? How will I work through this? What am I going to do? How will we pay our bills? Well my wonderful husband reminded me that our God was greater than cancer and I needed to have faith and take this one day at a time. As hard as that is for me, as I am a planner, I had to learn how to do that. My emotions were all over the place. I couldn’t stop thinking about my kids being without me. I then moved to the phase of, well what if I do beat this and it comes back? Where will it come back? What are the signs and how will I know? My husband would continuously remind me, one day at a time. Let’s get a plan together. That was our current concern.

We spoke with my surgeon, who recommended a lumpectomy as the lump was 1.5 cm and nothing was found in the other breast. My surgeon is the best and I know this because I work directly with him. He then recommended his friend as my oncologist. Who was the very best oncologist in our area. I saw the oncologist and and he agreed the lumpectomy was the way to go. It was set up just 4 days away. That quick, no time to think, or so I thought. I still was worried about the cancer coming back, I mean, I haven’t even gotten rid of it yet I still worried. My family wanted me to have a mastectomy. Don’t play around with it but they said. My aunt whom I’m very close to, just went through this just over a month ago. How coincidental?! I then remember calling my oldest daughter and telling her, I am going to have a lumpectomy. She just cried and cried. Literally at that moment, it was no longer about me but about my kids and what would be best for them. If I was able to do anything that could decrease my risk of it coming back (which they say a mastectomy does not do) I would do it. My thought was if I remove both breasts, that’s one less place it can come back if it was going to. Also, I was told I would need radiation after the lumpectomy and the planner in me had researched and found out reconstructive surgery is more difficult after radiation, so that was a concern if it came back. So there you have it, my decision was made. My dr called the plastic surgeon he knew as the best and I had a consult the next day. After that I chose to have a bilateral mastectomy. I realized at that appointment I literally had the best hand picked team of doctors/surgeons which immediately put my mind at ease. I never once second guessed that decision like I had the lumpectomy. I knew i had made the right decision.

My husband continued to remind me one day at a time. The only thing you need to be concerned with right now is them getting your pain under control after surgery. I had the surgery on Oct 4th. Very scary and very painful but it was done and over with. My pain after a several hours seemed to be under control, the best it could be. Now onto healing .. I am 2 weeks post op and pain is minimal. It is more like discomfort and getting used to the way my new chest feels. I asked to return to work and was allowed as long as I shortened my days and could tolerate it. So that is the plan for Monday. I meet with Oncology again on Wednesday and chemo should start shortly thereafter for 20 weeks. I’m ready to start so I can hurry up and finish lol but I worry about being sick and figuring out how I will go to work though it all for 20 weeks. I don’t know anyone that had cancer that had to go through chemo. My aunt was not Triple Negative so no chemo needed. I know I will lose my hair. That seemed to be another one of the hardest parts so far but I’m ready. I want to be done with this whole thing. Thank you for allowing me to share my story. ❤️
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 11:53am

Thank you for your message.  I am trying to think very positively.  Sometimes I feel like I am thinking so positively, I am not giving the "cancer" it's due respect and it will come back because I am behaving normally and not letting it take over my life (does that even make sense)?  In other words, if I dismiss it - it will surely come back and get me.  I know that doesn't seem rational and I really go in and out of fear.  I ran into someone that hasn't seen me in a year, and they noted my "new hair do" so I shared what I had been through.  The look on their face was super frightening.  She said " oh gosh, we just lost one one our very close friends to breast cancer (TN)."  It came back in her lungs.  I said, was she stage 1 when diagnosed, and she said "yes".  That scared me to death !!!!  The original DX was 10 years ago, so I am trying to calm myself down saying "2007 IS NOT 2017" and the TNBC is more known and the prognosis is better than 10 years ago.  That is what my mind is saying, my heart is not there yet.  Hard day yesterday hearing this for sure.  Then I open my computer and see your message of courage.  God is good to make me land on this page when I did this morning.  Anyway, thank you I really appreciate all my sisters (and brothers) on this page.

Penny   
DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

*Nancy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 11:15am
I was also diagnosed at Stage 1, Grade 3. I felt exactly like you described. Time seemed to slow to a crawl. I am now 7.5 years past Dx. Like my sisters before me have said, just take it one day at a time. The initial diagnosis and treatment stages are the worst part. But you can do it! Tell yourself that you are going to do it for your children. For me, that was my main motivating factor. My youngest was 14 at the time.
Dx March 2010, age 54, 5 mm tumor, Stage Ia, Grade 3, 0/3 Nodes, Ki-67 70%,

Lumpectomy April 2010, TC x 4, Rads x 33, Treatment completed Sept 2010, NED 06/17
SusaninVA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SusaninVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2017 at 2:41pm
Hi Angiepie,
Just like Penny said, you are going through the very worst part.  As soon as all the tests are done and you have a plan with your doctors, things should calm down.  I remember feeling unreal stress for an entire month until my surgery was done (and that was step one).  Thank goodness you know that this is stage 1, which should serve as a tremendous comfort to you.  When I was diagnosed in 2015, my son was 17 years old.  He learned how to do his own laundry amongst other things, and I think he really grew up that year.  Being scared to death is how I remember feeling, too.  I remember asking my nurse navigator, "Is TNBC a death sentence?"  She promptly said, "No" and I think, especially finding this at stage 1, you will have a decent prognosis.  (Mine was caught at stage 2 and I still have what I consider a decent prognosis.)  But it sure is scary, and you will probably surprise yourself with strength and resolve.  Please keep us updated.  This is a wonderful forum.
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2017 at 10:53am
I am right there with you.  I was shocked with my dx.  Your active and healthy lifestyle will serve you well through this.  Take it one step at a time.  I just finished treatment for stage 1, grade 2.  It took the 7 months of treatments before I finally turned the corner and am back to "normal".  My advice, one step at a time.  Build your plan and start your treatment.  You are at the very very worst part.  Hang in there!!!

Penny

DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

Angiepie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angiepie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2017 at 1:52am
Diagnosed with Stage 1, Grade 3 TNBC last week. Lots of appointments this week. Awaiting BRAC test results. and I am scared to death. I'm 49.5 (happy 50th to me!) with a 19 year old and a 17 year old. I'm super active and healthy so this has thrown me for a loop.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic