FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking help about chemo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking help about chemo
    Posted: Jul 16 2017 at 12:42pm
I am starting chemo next week after having a lumpectomy three weeks ago. I have decided to go with the most aggressive because of the triple negative . My oncologist hoped I would pick that route but my kids are worried about the risk factor
AllisonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 6:08pm
What risk factors are they worried about? Talk to your doctor about them and pass the information on to your kids, or, better yet, have one of your kids go with you to see doctor to ask questions directly.

What chemo are you having?
New Hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 6:22pm
regimen would be adriamycin and cytoxan every 2 weeks four times with a blood count shot the day after called neulasta followed by 12 weekly doses of taxol.

New Hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 6:24pm
Thank you for taking the time to write back . I have triple negative and stage 1B with clean lymph nodes, thank god. 7 unknown masses in my lungs that they could not get to as they were to far and without cutting my lung out have no idea what they are. So we are pretending they are sarcoidosis which I have.
AllisonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 7:15pm
You are having the exact same regimen I'm having. My doctors (surgeon and onc) believe this is the best regimen for shrinking tumor (I'm having surgery after chemo) and preventing recurrence. It is aggressive chemo but recommended.

What would you have differently that your kids want you to have?
New Hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 7:21pm
They wanted me to have the medium chemo. 73 percent instead of 76. Although one son is a doctor recommends the highest dose for a possible cure. I had lumpectomy but they did not get all the cancer cells so after chemo the doctor will go back and get the rest. They after chemo, surgery, then radiation.  I just met a guy who's wife died of breast cancer a few months ago and he doesn't know I have it. What should I do?
AllisonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 7:35pm
Only you can make that decision. However, if your doctor son thinks the higher dose is better, I would definitely take that into account. Given how aggressive TNBC can be with a high rate of recurrence, I'm not sure why a lower dose would be a better choice. What would be the reason for doing that?
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2017 at 8:01am
NewHope,

It sounds like you will be receiving the standard of care for chemo.  If you have concerns or question the dosage, do you have time to seek a second opinion?  Sometimes getting another opinion from a doctor not associated in the same practice will help give you enough information to make a comfortable decision.

Regarding just meeting a guy - you need to tell him.  He's going to find out soon enough, especially when you start chemo.  

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Postive3negative View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postive3negative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2017 at 8:07pm
Hi there, 
I am wondering what risks your kids are concerned about and how they are higher risks with the more aggressive chemo. All chemotherapy carries risks, with the most concerning being a high risk of neutropenia related issues (where even a head cold can be fatal because your white blood cell count is so low). All risks can be reduced with good management. Depending upon where you live, you may be offered medication to reduce the risk of neutropenia. In some areas this is ONLY offered with the more aggressive chemo, so asking questions is worthwhile. I became a massive germophobe during chemotherapy and basically stayed at home for most of it. Facebook became my favourite way of keeping in touch and when I did go out it was with sanitiser, eucalyptus spray and a good dose of nervousness about anyone with a sniffle. This seemed like overkill to a lot of people but I was also managing my anxiety! 
The other risk is peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage, particularly to hands and feet). I developed low level PN and three years after treatment I still have some problems with my hands and feet, but as my husband likes to observe 'at least you're alive to complain about it!' (not everyone understands his sense of humour but I love him for it). Once again, it's worth asking if the more aggressive treatment is associated with a higher risk. There's not necessarily a correlation. 
Making any treatment decision is difficult because we're often given a 'lesser of two evils' option with not a lot of help on which would be better. I found it really useful to get in touch with my values. My top priority was survival and being in the best physical health I could be. My lowest priority was physical appearance and anything cosmetic. This is just how I divided things and I know a lot of women are much more concerned with how they will look after treatment. There's no right or wrong in any of this. There's just what's right for you and your family. 

Find me on Wordpress at https://positive3neg.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic