FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Life Insurance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
parrynd1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrynd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Life Insurance
    Posted: Jun 21 2017 at 4:54am
I was wondering if anyone out there has been able to get life insurance post diagnosis? If so did you have to wait a certain amount of time post treatment to be approved? Was there a minimum age? Any information would be helpful.

I'm 29 and still in treatment for my TNBC stage 3a diagnosis. My boyfriend and I have been together for over 8 years now and were planning to get married when we got thrown into the cancer carnival. The more I think about it the more it seems like a bad idea to get married and have him be attached to all my student loans and possible medical or other debt in the future. Life insurance seems like such a great idea now, but from what I've read it's not only hard to get after a cancer diagnosis but they also seem to only offer it to people over 40. I know this topic isn't the most positive so I apologize in advance. I just want to do what I can to be prepared for any possible future if I can.

Thanks!
Dx 9/016 Age 28, 3c, Grade 3, 1/5 Nodes, BRCA -, KI-67 >90%, I-Spy 2, DD A/C, Lumpectomy w/ 3 nodes removed, TC, Rads
2/2018 recurrence + brain & lung mets, Craniotomy, SRS, IPI-549, Opdivo/Avastin
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2017 at 9:37pm
We (California)have life insurance with https://www.expertinsurancereviews.com/insurance-company-reviews/jackson-national-life-insurance-company-review/

When 10 yrs runs out I don't think we will be able to renew for my wife based on pre-existing condition now.

Edited by gordon15 - Jun 22 2017 at 5:56am
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2017 at 10:36pm
I work for a company that has open enrollment now for our benefits and I was told that I would not qualify for the STD, LTD or Life Insurance offerings at this time without a waiting period post diagnosis.  I was surprised by that.  I was told I could fill out the questionnaire, have it reviewed and then if approved it would be based on a lapse time period.  I am 56 and had stage 1a, grade 2 TN.  Just completed all my treatments on June 6, 2017 and open enrollment is 7/1/17.  I am in California.  So, I guess there is a waiting period.  Regarding marriage, I say go for it.  Life has it's ups and downs and I couldn't imagine doing it without my husband.  So, I would not forgo the marriage piece at all.  You need a partner in life and if he is a keeper, go for it.

Good Luck!

Penny 
DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

SusaninVA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusaninVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2017 at 10:21pm
Hi Parrynd1, I don't have any specific answers to your questions, but I encourage you to go ahead and apply for a policy.  The worst the underwriter will tell you is that you are denied coverage.  Hopefully, you could then ask how long should you wait before reapplying.  An experienced agent might tell you from the start how long you should wait before applying.  I think it is very wise of you to be thinking of these things.  Let us know what they tell you if you do apply for a policy.
parrynd1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrynd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2017 at 1:42pm
Thank you for all the input. I still have 3 months of chemo then 6~ weeks radiation so I think I'm still a bit early to apply, but I will update here for everyone when I have new or more information. I know they grade you on a system called SEER according to your medical records and tumor pathology. I am stage 3a with a grade 3 tumor and ki-67 of >90% with a partial response to standard of care AC chemo for the neoadjuvant treatment I've already completed soooo I'm hoping I fall in at least the standard (one of the SEER ratings) range and not substandard. The chemo I am on right now is to be better safe than sorry since my lymph nodes still showed cancer cells at time of surgery and the main tumor was still 30% alive from what I understand. I've read they also look at what your doctor has advised you to do and if you have followed through or not (appointments, treatment regimen, ect). We have so far, but it is something to be aware of for anyone else out there looking into this as well.

As for us and the marriage thing...I want to be carefree and say yes let's do it! But I also want to be cautious now more than ever and I want to protect my loved ones anyway I can. We have been together almost 9 years and I think now the marriage would be more for family than us. Although I'm not opposed to having a wedding without making it legal if you can do that? We can still hold a celebration of our love, lives, and say vows together with family. May not be the typical way, but we will make whatever life throws at us work!

Stay strong out there everyone 😊
Dx 9/016 Age 28, 3c, Grade 3, 1/5 Nodes, BRCA -, KI-67 >90%, I-Spy 2, DD A/C, Lumpectomy w/ 3 nodes removed, TC, Rads
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2017 at 8:02am

Beating the odds: How to buy life insurance after being diagnosed with cancer

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2017 at 2:03pm
Where do I find my SEER number?  I also see people referencing  ki-67 of >90% - and do not know mine or where to look for it.  Can someone direct me?

Thanks Penny 
DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

parrynd1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrynd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2017 at 8:43pm
My ki-67 was on my original pathology report, but your oncologist may also have that information.
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2017 at 8:53pm
All I see is a SBR score of 7

AllisonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 2:25am
Perry,
The other thing you should look at is getting a pre-nuptial agreement. While it is known mostly for keeping large fortunes in families in case of divorce, pre-nups also protect partners from each others' problems. I had a friend who got one when she got married because her husband had a fair amount of debt because of a bad divorce. The prenup protected my friend from ever having to be responsible for the debt her husband had pre-marriage including credit card (run up by ex-wife), alimony, and child support. You might want to look into that to protect your boyfriend from your student loans, etc. Won't matter if you can get life insurance or not. Then, you can get married worry-free!

BTW, I've had a life insurance policy since I was 25.

Allison
parrynd1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parrynd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2017 at 6:24pm
Thanks Allison I never would have thought of that!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic