FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Assisted living/housing for stage 4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MILtn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MILtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assisted living/housing for stage 4
    Posted: Jun 20 2017 at 2:24am
Hello Everyone,

First off I want to say how grateful I am for the forum. Although I haven't posted, reading the posts here have been really informative and comforting. A bit of the back story, my mother-in-law has stage 4 tnbc with mets to both of her lungs. Her reoccurrence occurred in May 2016, just a few months after completing her initial treatment when she was stage 2. When her cancer reoccurred it hit fast and very aggressive. By June 2016 she was in the ICU, after about a month of hospitalization she moved to a impatient center for a few months. Prior to her reoccurrence she lived alone. Once she was healthy enough to be released from the impatient center she has been living with her sister. Her sister is planning to move early next year which will leave her without a place to live and her doctors do not want her staying alone. Although we have time before her sister moves we live in a very populated area where housing is very expensive and there are often wait lists so it's better for us to get a head start. Realistically what are the housing options for her? Assisted living? A nursing home? She is only in her mid 50s so that doesn't seem like the right fit but her chemo options are running out so its hard to know what condition she will be in at any given time. My husband is her only child and we are already caring for a 90 year old family member as well as our children so living with us isn't an option. Thank you for your time.
SusaninVA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusaninVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2017 at 1:22pm
Hi MILtn, my first thought is to contact a medical social worker.  All decent sized hospitals should have somebody in that role.  They are aware of many resources within the community which they serve.  I am so sorry to hear of her recurrence - hopefully, she can be placed near you and your husband so she can have family nearby.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic