FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

newly diagnosed- reconstruction vs. prosthetic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Joanay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joanay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newly diagnosed- reconstruction vs. prosthetic?
    Posted: Apr 21 2017 at 8:33pm
Hi Jana, I was also diagnosed on 3/10/17 with Triple Negative Breast Cancer and I had a double mastectomy on 4/14/17 and tested positive for the PALB #2 gene. The cancer has not spread and the recommended course of treatment is chemo for 8-12 weeks. Extenders were placed and I will be undergoing reconstruction after chemo. My mom and both here sisters died of metastatic breast cancer. Needless, to,say I am devastated. I am recovering well but in shock. I feel that I forget to ask the right questions and am very confused. Let's keep in touch. Joan
Libber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2017 at 7:23pm
Hello.   I know this is a tough decision for some. For me no question doing reconstruction. I had bilateral BC and bilateral mastectomy in March 2016. Tissue expanders inserted when mastectomy,y was done, followed by radiation on right side then permanent silicone implants Dec 2016. I am older than you,57, but couldn't consider not doing reconstruction.
I had no issues with infections nor will I need revisions. I had dose dense chemo prior to masectomys and followed radiation with 6 months of Xeloda. I am also Type 1 diabetes so implants were really my only option. I was stage 1 on both sides. TNBC with micromets in node on right and ER/PR+ her2- on left. Oh and now I am taking an AI inhibitor.

Important to have an excellent board certified plastic surgeon if you choose reconstruction. Please make appts and find one you are comfortable with in order to make the right decision for you.
barrycarrot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrycarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2017 at 4:22pm
Hi and welcome to the club that no body wants to join! I don't have any guidance on the reconstruction/prosthetic stuff as I opted to have a lumpectomy instead. I was stage 1 with no node involvement. Like you, I was young, 37 with no family history. I tested negative for the gene. I also have two daughters who are now 10 and 8. Just wanted to wish you the best along your journey. It DOES get easier and there IS life after diagnosis. Hang in there and let us know if we can help. Hugs!

Carrie
Age 40, DX: 12/10/15 Stage 1 TNBC, BRCA-, 7mm tumor in left breast, no nodes, ACT Chemo 1/4/16 - 4/15/16, Lumpectomy 5/16/16, PCR (Praise God!), radiation 6/22/16 -8/3/2016
jana_s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jana_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 11:01pm
Hello. I was diagnosed with Stage II B breast cancer on 3/10/17. It was already in my lymph node. 36 years old with no family history. Awaiting genetic testing to see if I'm a carrier as I have two daughters- 10 and 7, a 19 year old niece and 2 sisters. I've underwent my third round of A/C chemo on Monday. I've got one more round of it and then 4 rounds of taxol. I'm doing a double mastectomy when I'm done with chemo . I'm looking for stories of reconstruction versus prosthetic after surgery. I've heard stories of the cancer coming back even after double mastectomy and its harder to detect after reconstruction. However I'm only 36 and would like to keep some of my feminine looks if I can. Of course you always hear the horror stories when people find out you have cancer- myheairdresser's cousin by marriage blah blah had breast cancer.... plus I want info on triple negative cancer. Thank you for your time to read this! Any info is appreciated!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic