FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

special diet for TNBC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jacklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: special diet for TNBC?
    Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 11:57am
Just wanted to share this link that was forwarded to me this morning about reducing the amount of methionine in our diets; wouldn't this be wonderful if we could reduce the # of TNBC diagnoses through diet?

I've been working with Jean for a while now and have made tremendous strides in feeling better. As many of you know, I've had ongoing health issues from my xeloda (capecitabine) experience; I'm thrilled that I'm finally starting to feel better. I hope this link helps someone here. Be well!!

Edited by Jacklin - Mar 15 2017 at 12:00pm
Dx: Nov. 27/15, TNBC, left breast & lymph, BRCA -; Chemo: Dec 4/15 - Mar 4/16; 4 DD A/C, 3 DD Taxol; BMX/ALND: April 26/16; Stage 3C; Radiation: June 10-July 15/16; 1 cycle Xeloda: Aug 15 - 28/16
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 7:02pm

Mediterranean Diet Can Help Reduce Risk of Certain Breast Cancers

Who doesn’t want to cut her risk of breast cancer? Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to preventing cancer and everyone is different. However, it is comforting to know that we can make some lifestyle changes in that direction. A few weeks ago, we learned that exercise may prevent the recurrence of breast cancer. This week, a Dutch study published by the International Journal of Cancer finds that the Mediterranean diet can reduce the chance of estrogen receptor negative breast cancer.

This type of cancer — which generally strikes post-menopausal women — usually does not have a very good outcome, since estrogen has no effect on tumor growth, thereby limiting treatment options. Yet every day, studies and techniques emerge to conquer this form of breast cancer.

A good diet is crucial to keeping your body healthy and reducing the risk of breast cancer. No diet can keep cancer away, but it can keep us healthy so we can fight cancer with more strength. Diet is something we have the control to change, and eating a diet high in vegetables and fish but low in saturated fats is, according to breastcancer.org, an excellent way to keep your body in optimum health.

The Dutch study involved 62,573 women ranging in age from 55 to 69. Over a time span of 20 years, more than 3,000 of the women were diagnosed with breast cancer. The study showed that post-menopausal estrogen-receptor-negative breast cancer was 40 percent less prevalent among women who closely adhered to a Mediterranean diet, compared to those who did not.

The Mediterranean diet has many variations, but at its core consists mainly of fruits, legumes, spices, herbs, whole grain, olive oil, vegetables and fish. Fruits and vegetables seem to be the essential key here. Eat red meat no more than once a month, if at all. Eat fish and poultry at least twice a week. Nuts are OK, but only in moderation because they are high in calories. Limit or do away with salt by using spices and herbs instead. Yogurt is also good, and so is exercise.

According to the Mayo Clinic, the Mediterranean diet is heart-healthy and reduces the likelihood of Alzheimer’s and cancer in general.  Just remember that no diet is cancer-proof. But maintaining a healthy body begins with what you eat, and having a healthy body provides you with the strength to fight breast cancer and other diseases.

http://breastcancer-news.com/news-posts/2017/03/11/mediterranean-diet-helps-reduce-certain-breast-cancer

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Sara0414 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sara0414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2017 at 6:01pm
I think Rose Penney eats a Mediterranean diet and she is Stage IV being NEd for 4 years.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2017 at 8:08pm
I "try" to follow a healthy diet.  After my 1st dx, I met with a nutritionist at the hospital and she shared this anti-inflammatory food pyramid chart.  It's a good guide:

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Jacklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2017 at 7:54am
It is a lovely visual, thanks for sharing Donna!
Dx: Nov. 27/15, TNBC, left breast & lymph, BRCA -; Chemo: Dec 4/15 - Mar 4/16; 4 DD A/C, 3 DD Taxol; BMX/ALND: April 26/16; Stage 3C; Radiation: June 10-July 15/16; 1 cycle Xeloda: Aug 15 - 28/16
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2017 at 6:00pm
Thank you very much for the link to the chart showing good food to eat for my wife.

I want to alert all those on the USA West Coast, that Fukushima meltdown has taken place in 3 reactors. It takes about 6 years for Blue- fin tuna to become mature for canning, so we are right at that point. Fukushima blowup was in 2011 . Blue- fin tuna migrate between northern California/Alaska to Japan and back again. We are not eating canned tuna now. Do what you want. Salmon go from Alaska east also, then come back.
Cod from Alaska is also suspect, in our opinion, until more testing is done on fish, along 3-4 points alont Pacific Coast, which is being done by non-Gov assets, since the Fed's think it's not important, and if Trump has his way, he will abolish it.

The Fukushima has 6 reactors. 4 have been damaged bad. When they constructed the complex, they diverted the runoff  from the mountains to both sides of the Fukushima reactors, but when the earthquake and tsunami hit, it diverted the drainage from the mountains, that was gorged on both sides of the complex, to draining right underneath the nuke plant.

With rains, and normal drainage, Fukushima, from everything I have read, the "river" is going under the power plant complex, and 3 reactors have "melted-down", where the molten core is melting underneath, the river from the mountains is mixing with this molten mass, and going to sea.

I am only pointing this out because Blue fin   tuna have showed tumors in recent samples on the West Coast of California/Wash/Oregon.

There is a giant coverup by Japanese authorities (all those reading this in Japan, feel free to contradict) because Japan garnered the 2020 Olympics, and they are moving residents back into irradiated areas around Fukushima, and cutting off the "welfare" payments, but only 20% of previous residents have taken them up on it, the know the contamination is high.

I am only pointing this out because my wife has enough problems, we are not eating ANY fish including canned tuna, until we see more data. The Gov IS NOT doing any research, Trump is worse.

We love fish, we are only buying "Atlantic" until further notice. We had Talapia last night from Costa Rica, I did some research, it's a fresh-water farm-raised fish, which seems ok.

http://havacuppahemlock1.blogspot.com/2015/02/extinction-event-on-west-coast.html

The explanation for oceanlife mass deaths is that the sea temp has risen, so that's a factor, but I am not convinced, it's not Fukushima

There is NO remedy for Fukushima. The reactor's cores have melted down into the ground 2-3 reactors, there is NO WAY to stop this, the Japs are covering it up because the Olympics coming up are more important than Humanity, from everything I read. All Japanese residents are welcome to correct me.

I want to add..., recently the Japanese government passed a law, that nobody in Japan can publish anything regarding Fukushima WITHOUT GOVERNMENT APPROVAL, or they go to prison. >
Dr. Helen Caldicott recently wrote (Feb. 13, 2017), “Prime Minister Abe recently passed a law that any reporter who told the truth about the [Fukushima] situation could be gaoled for ten years. In addition, doctors who tell their patients their disease could be radiation related will not be paid, so there is an immense cover-up in Japan as well as the global media.”

Edited by gordon15 - Mar 17 2017 at 6:13pm
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
Jacklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 9:26am
Morning Gordon, why do you only buy Atlantic fish? If I look at the ocean currents between Japan and North America, I see that the currents from Japan come along the Pacific side of NA. Can you help me to understand, I want to protect my health as well. Thanks!!
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2017 at 3:53pm
Jacklin:
I meant "Atlantic coast"  the ocean off the East Coast

Fukushima is releasing water into the Pacific Ocean and the best indicator now is Cesium-137
It has a half-life of 30 yrs, I think (Cesium-134 is less) Fish have been tested on 3-4 points on the Pacific Coast from Alaska down to California and Baja-Mexico.

When I said, I would prefer to buy fish from the 'Atlantic" I mean caught/farmed off the East Coast of North America.

Bluefin tuna are tested with mutations along the Pacific Coast. It takes six years for a tuna to get mature enough for canning, and the Fukushima reactors (3) melted down in 2011, so the tuna being canned now are from tuna that has eaten lots of smaller fish for 6 years. They migrate to Japan, and back to Alaskan Coast.

Wild Salmon from Alaska are also affected. They migrate east towards Japan, and back, like Sockeye,( I'm not sure which is a fresh-water Salmon wild-caught in the stores.)

The Japanese Government and USA circulate that the irradiated water coming out from Fukushima is "diluted"  so not to worry. Also officials are saying Cesium -137 affects the "entire body" so it is not concentrated. This is not true, it goes to specific organs and thyroid, and there is no known tolerance.

We are just trying to be prudent in eating fish, until we know what is going on in the Pacific Ocean. The "farm-raised tilapia" from Costa Rica is a fresh-water grown fish using streams for water source.  Farm-raised salmon packaging say "Atlantic salmon" but I don't know if those growers are using the Pacific Bay (not inland ponds)using nets, to raise those, or if they are segregated, or if "Atlantic" is a name, or an indication as to where it's from. Some "farm raised" fish is actually grown in a net in a ocean bay.

I just think it's good to know where edible fish is coming from, until we figure out the Pacific Ocean vs Fukushima. Oceanographers are saying the "krill" are dying in Pacific Coast , that is why we have had mass fish dying, the question is , is this because of warmer waters or radiation plumes?

Edited by gordon15 - Mar 20 2017 at 9:28am
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
Jacklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2017 at 7:41pm
Thanks for the clarification Gordon, must have been the brain fog on my part.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic