FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worried about weak response to A/C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yulibee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yulibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worried about weak response to A/C
    Posted: Mar 11 2017 at 10:12pm
Hello All, 

I'm a newly diagnosed 28 y/o with Grade 3 IDC, 3.5cm. I just finished my second round of A/C last week and am concerned that the tumor is not reacting. I feel pain at tumor site and see more pronounced dimpling, but cannot tell a difference by feeling it. My oncologist and surgeon both assured me that the ultimate goal is to prevent it from growing, which both of them feel is happening. Given the pronounced dimpling, I actually think it might be getting bigger, and am feeling frustrated with the lack of concern from both doctors. 

Have any of you experienced a slow but successful reaction from A/C and Cytoxan prior to starting Taxol/Carboplatin? I'm a bundle of nerves and know that my anxiety may be playing a role here, but don't know what the normal response should be. I know that I still have a lot of chemo left to start seeing a change, but am feeling very discouraged.

Many thanks,
Yuliya
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 6:33pm
You are very young, is it TNBC? Are you having chemo before any possible surgery?
My wife had adjutant chemo (before any surgery) the doctor did a ultrasound after one-third of the therapy, in my wife's case, it was after two (2) chemos, after that, the radiologist said it's "cystic" basically it had become more liquid.
If it's not growing, it's my opinion, from "grilling" lots of doctors, they want to continue to the full therapy, because, even if the chemo has made the tumor more liquid,(cystic), they don't know what the ultimate destruction of the cancer is until the (you) have a surgery and remove the tumor, then the pathologist can tell you what, if all (hopefully) was killed by the chemo.
I don't know what the "dimpling" is, but you can ask your oncologist to do an ultrasound, and ask him what he/she thinks, hopefully your insurance will cover that, if not, please post, as we have been thru the meat-grinder for insurance and possibly can give some advice...
My wife had TAC in 2008 for NON-TNBC in her other breast, actually AC is very lethal to breast cancer, but as I posted, A (Adrymycin) has a lifetime limit, because it "can" cause heart muscle damage.
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
yulibee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yulibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 8:59pm
Thank you for your reply. I have TNBC and am receiving chemo before my double mastectomy. I am scheduled to have an ultrasound after my 4th A/C. The surgeon did notice that the mess felt harder, so it doesn't appear to be turning cystic. It is attached to the pectoral muscle and she mentioned those tumors sometimes harden and retract when they "die". So frustrating that there's no standard! Great to know that I can come here for some advice of my insurance acts up!
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2017 at 4:20pm
I'm not sure what it means " after my 4th A/C. The surgeon did notice that the mess (you meant mass)felt harder,..."

and I'm sorry I don't have any personal information regarding, I don't know if your tumor is becoming harder, or cystic, with chemo-bombardment(my layman term) whether that is a sign but the pathologist looks at the results.

"It is attached to the pectoral muscle and she mentioned those tumors sometimes harden and retract when they "die".

Not familiar with these terms, since my wife has not had this condition... it sounds like you have smart doctors, it's better to listen to them over what I/we might advise, insurance is a headache, that's another subject.
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
alogsdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alogsdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2017 at 2:24pm
I too had a slow response to AC in the beginning. Then the size of tumor plateau and was told chemo was keeping it from growing. I truly believed this, as I know from the time I was diagnosed and the time I started chemo, my tumor had grown a 1 cm. I got the best response from Taxol.
alogsdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alogsdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2017 at 2:25pm
I too had a slow response to AC in the beginning. Then the size of tumor plateau and was told chemo was keeping it from growing. I truly believed this, as I know from the time I was diagnosed and the time I started chemo, my tumor had grown a 1 cm. I got the best response from Taxol. Don't get discouraged.
KimmieRonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KimmieRonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2017 at 5:32pm
Don't fret or feel discouraged. I went through 4 rounds of AC, and my tumor stayed stable. It did not shrink at all. However, I have been getting a much better response with the Taxol, after the same number of treatments. My recent MRI proves my tumor and satellite lesion are both shrinking. So don't lose hope!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic