FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting Chemo soon at 70

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LouWM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouWM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Chemo soon at 70
    Posted: Aug 06 2017 at 8:12pm
Hi Gramma Sue. This is Nana Lou. How are you doing?

I am 74 with TN BC, stage 2a, in two lymph nodes. My tumor was 1.9 cm when I started chemo last Monday with taxol (and oral medical marijuana). Today is Day 7 and my tumor has practically disappeared. I am thrilled. I don't know if everyone's tumor disappears so rapidly, but I think not. I am scheduled for 16 weeks of chemo with taxol only for 12 weeks and A-C for four weeks. I think. If the oncologist can get Keytruda (immunotherapy) for me, he may add that because it triples the response. That is, three times more people respond to taxol treatment with Keytruda than without. But since my tumor is nearly gone already, it doesn't seem necessary to me. I would love to know if others have experienced such a rapid response from taxol.

If anyone is curious about the marijuana, I take 12.5 mg CBD orally twice a day in a gel lozenge form called a Trokie. At night, I take a Relax capsule with raw marijuana and a bit of RSO (Rick Simpson Oil) in it. The RSO is said to "cure" cancer, but I am taking the capsules just to sleep better, and the daytime meds for anti-anxiety. Nevertheless, I was stunned (and thrilled) to find my tumor nearly undetectable by palpation today. Lou

Edited by LouWM - Aug 06 2017 at 8:14pm
GrammaSue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrammaSue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 9:45pm
Hello. Sorry it took me so long to answer your posting. You are right, I've been busy with treatments.  I finished my first round of 8 treatments with A-C (Adriamycin/Cytoxan) and am now undergoing treatments with Paclitaxel. In two days I will receive the third of 12 treatments with that agent. 

I suspect you may have already started your chemo by now. I won't tell you not to be nervous because that is probably impossible. What I will tell you is that you can get through this. Like you, I was independent and didn't want to give my life, health and schedule over to regimented treatments but you really do get through it. Yes, I've found my circle drawn in a bit. I am not able to work with these weekly treatments and frankly, don't feel that I could. Dealing with the side effects is a full time job. What I can recommend is that you stay in close touch with your medical oncologist and the nurse-practitioner if your practice has one. Don't be afraid to tell them what is happening with you. If you're like me, you will probably be nervous about being considered a "whiner" if you report everything but you are NOT a whiner. The side effects are real and they can be abated with treatment. When I had mouth sores during my A-C, I was prescribed a solution called "magic mouthwash". The pharmacy wanted an exhorbitant amount of money to compound the mixture at the pharmacy so I called the NP at my MOs office and told her that due to our limited income (social security) that I couldn't afford to purchase it. She gave me the ingredients and ratios to mix my own. The only "prescription" part of the mixture cost less than 1/3 of what the pharmacy wanted to mix it. The other 2 ingredients were over the counter and I purchased the house brands of those to save money. For well under 1/2 the price I had my own mixture and still use it when needed. It was a lifesaver and it works like a charm. So don't be afraid to ask things, tell them what your situation is and see what they can do to help. 

The other thing that I had a hard time with was accepting help from others. At first, being the independent cuss, I didn't want to even think that I'd need any help at all. I was quickly dispelled of that notion after my second chemo. I had to admit, mostly to myself, that I DID need help. And help did come! People really feel good about helping others so in accepting the help you not only are getting the help you need but you are helping make others feel like they are doing good too. And of course, there may come a time where your help is needed and appreciated so pay it forward where you can. 

I wish you luck in your journey and ask that you keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. Us independent cusses need to hang together! :)  

Regards,
Gramma Sue
Kpowe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kpowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 11:14am
Hi GrammaSue: I know you are well into your chemo by now and hope things are going smoothe! I am 69 and scheduled to have my port installed 5/31/17 and begin chemo the next day. I had a lumpectomy with breast reduction 4 weeks ago. Actually having more discomfort with that now than anytime before! I too have always been pretty strong and thought I was coping really well with my diagnosis but now that chemo is approaching, I don't feel quite so strong! I think the biggest issue is having to give over some of my independence and rely on others to get me thru this. That is why this site is so important-knowing that other women have gone thru and are going thru this THING and have found the strength to do so with the love and care of others. I hope I can find the grace to do that as well!
Please update us on your treatments-I feel a true connection to you and the other lovely "senior" ladies on this site!
GrammaSue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrammaSue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2017 at 7:07pm
Well, I had a Muga scan and a CT scan with contrast today. I have to say, that was an interesting experience, especially with the iodine-based contrast at CT. What a weird feeling. 

Things are moving faster now. On Thursday I go to get the Mediport put in. The following Thursday is my first chemotherapy (provided all tests run today are OK). It seems that things are about to 'get real' real fast. I hope I'm ready for this....

I think it's seeing dates on the calendar, and getting information on the chemo drugs I'm to receive (Adriamycin; Cytoxan) now. Eventually they will add Taxitere (sp?) to the regimen and I'll get information on that drug when they introduce it. I'll be getting it every 3 weeks. 

GrammaSue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrammaSue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2017 at 8:35pm
Well congratulations first time Grandma! You will LOVE it, I just know it! There is nothing like grandchildren to breathe new life into grandparents...they just bring so much joy it can't be contained! Smile

I've figured out that NOTHING is typical when it comes down to chemo. I've probably spoken to 20 people who've been through it or who had loved ones who did, and not one story is like the other - not even close. I suppose that is something I will just have to accept and take it as it comes. 

I'll be returning to the doctors office on Wednesday and I have a list of questions for them. I did find out that the American Cancer Society can provide transportation to and from my chemotherapy appointments and that is a relief. I'm hoping I might feel up to driving myself, but I'll do the first one with someone else driving until I have an idea what to expect. I'm more concerned about being able to continue to care for my husband and his needs; it's kind of like having a child in the house in some ways only because there is so much he can't do for himself. Sometimes I think he's more fearful of that than he is about anything else. I can understand it...and then I can't. Ah well, things are what they are.

Thank you for your kind and supportive words. So glad I found this site.

GrammaSue
*Nancy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2017 at 7:34pm
GrammaSue,

I was 54 when I went through my chemo, so I apologize for not being exactly the right age for the type of response you are looking for. I think that chemo affects everyone differently. You might fly through it with little or no side effects. You might get hit with some bad ones. Unfortunately, you won't know until you go through it. I can assure you that physicians seem to do their best in trying to prevent side effects with proper pre-chemo and post-chemo medications.

The important thing is to be prepared. Ask for the help of neighbors, friends, other family members, your church. You may need meals prepared, light housekeeping, laundry done, trips to the store or the doctor or the pharmacy. Ask your doctor's office if they have resources that they can recommend. Whatever you can plan for now will be better than trying to figure it out once chemo has started.

I wish you well and hope the best for you.
P.S. I was drawn to your post because I just found out yesterday that I am going to be a first-time Grandma.
*Nancy
Dx March 2010, age 54, 5 mm tumor, Stage Ia, Grade 3, 0/3 Nodes, Ki-67 70%,

Lumpectomy April 2010, TC x 4, Rads x 33, Treatment completed Sept 2010, NED 06/17
aterry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aterry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2017 at 12:40pm
It is very overwhelming at first.  There are many decisions to make.  There's a lot of information to absorb.  Will you be getting ACT?  Reading the posts of others who've gone through (or are going through) chemo really helped me.  Reading the tips sections helps. The experience varies.  For some it is difficult and for others very manageable.  Everyone gets side effects but they differ from person to person.  I did not get major gastro intestinal se's, except for a couple of instances of constipation. I have had a brain fog on some days--it follows a cycle, post infusion--but many patients do not experience that.
GrammaSue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrammaSue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2017 at 6:59pm
Thank you so much for responding. Everything seems overwhelming right now.Confused
aterry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aterry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2017 at 6:37pm
GrammaSue, I wish you the best with your treatment and care giving.  I started chemo at age 67 in November.  I had 4 rounds of AC and I've had 5 out of 12 rounds of Taxol.   I've been tolerating chemo fairly well but there are challenges.  I don't think my age has been a major problem.  Will you be treated close to your home?  I go to the Dubin center in NYC.  They are very supportive however it is a 2 hour commute for me to get there.  If you have an easier commute that will help.  I've just recently signed up for Blue Apron because I was finding meal planning to be a challenge. (the chemo has affected my taste buds). The more things you have in place that will help you cope, the better.  I'm retired with 2 grown children and do not have care giver responsibilities.  My husband has been helping me with my commute and some cooking at home but I do most of the home-making chores.
GrammaSue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrammaSue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2017 at 9:59pm
I'll be starting chemo for TNBC sometime toward the middle or end of this month. Has anyone undergone these who may have been 70 or around that age when they began or know of someone who did and would be willing to talk about their experience? 

I'm a caregiver for my husband who is legally blind, more than moderately deaf and disabled from long term diabetes. I pretty much have taken care of him since 2005. 

I'm so afraid that chemo might rob me of the ability to care for him. His vision is so bad even if I passed out in another part of the same room he probably wouldn't know it. I have GOT to keep on going but I'm really afraid that I won't be able to. 

Since I don't know how chemo is going to affect me, there is so much that I don't know I'm beginning to panic. 

Help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic