FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gemcitabine solo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bashamk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bashamk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gemcitabine solo?
    Posted: Jan 20 2017 at 8:00am
Hi All!
Looking for some input. I've been on Gem/Carbo for 7 months, because it has worked so well getting rid of mets. I am now down to 2 small nodes, but unfortunately my blood counts tanked big time and I ended up getting a blood transfusion this past weekend. Doing better, but Onc says she's taking me off Carbo and we're flying Gemcitabine solo for awhile to see how that does.
Anyone had any experience with this chemo drug alone?
Thanks so much for your help!!
Kay
dx 6/25/09 age 45, IDC TNBC,
stage 1, grade 3, 1.5 cm
Lumpectomy, T/C x 4, 33 rads
Dx Dec 2015 Stage 4 metaplastic
Cell growth on nerves in shoulder to rt arm; mediastinal nodes; Bone; skin mets
thginknodnarb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thginknodnarb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2017 at 10:56am
Hey Kay,

My wife went on Carbo/Gem for 3 month, after Xeloda did nothing, to get her skin/chest wall mets under control. Her counts tanked and needed a transfusion. They moved her to just Gem for the next 2 months and it continued to work on her mets. To the point that she went off chemo for 3 months.

Her skin mets started to return last week and they are going to put her just on the Gem to see if it will work on its own. Because the Carbo worked so well they want to save it til my wife really needs it, she's only 34, and the are worried about her bone marrow keeping up long term.

Hope that helps.
Brandon.
bashamk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bashamk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2017 at 1:24pm
I does help, Brandon. Thank you. Gives me hope that it will work awhile for me, too. I wish you and your wife the best while dealing with this crazy rollercoaster.
Kay
dx 6/25/09 age 45, IDC TNBC,
stage 1, grade 3, 1.5 cm
Lumpectomy, T/C x 4, 33 rads
Dx Dec 2015 Stage 4 metaplastic
Cell growth on nerves in shoulder to rt arm; mediastinal nodes; Bone; skin mets
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic