FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings everyone! I have a question...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
RyB1984 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyB1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2016 at 7:03pm
Hello everyone! I hope everyone is doing okay. I did try to come to the forum for a few days straight and I thought the site was closed down. I guess it went down or something....

Not really a concern, but I just noticed that my mom's eyebrows are getting thinner and I brought that to her attention. She agreed and said her eye lashes are going away as well. She still looks absolutely beautiful and i make sure to tell her that and she knows....its all gonna come back.

Anybody on this board experience this AFTER chemo is done completely?

Hmmm...
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2016 at 9:52am
I had the same thing happen after finishing chemo.  My eyebrows had thinned during treatment, but I still had my eye lashes.  A couple of weeks after finishing, the lashes started falling out until they were all gone.  Almost immediately new ones started growing back.  It was a big shock as I wasn't expecting to lose them after treatment was over.  It's usually just temporary.  I know some women whose lashes didn't come back as thick as before that tried Latisse eyelash treatment.  

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Jacklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2016 at 6:34pm
My eyelashes and eyebrows all fell out after chemo was finished, and, like Donna, it was a huge shock to me. I figured that since they hadn't fallen out, it wasn't going to happen to me. Not so. Mine also grew back very quickly although my eyelashes are not as thick as they were before but it doesn't bother me. I'm alive and that's what's important to me and my family. 
Jacklin
Dx: Nov. 27/15, TNBC, left breast & lymph, BRCA -; Chemo: Dec 4/15 - Mar 4/16; 4 DD A/C, 3 DD Taxol; BMX/ALND: April 26/16; Stage 3C; Radiation: June 10-July 15/16; 1 cycle Xeloda: Aug 15 - 28/16
snugltz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2016 at 9:54pm
My eyelashes on top came back but they are much thinner.  The bottom ones are so sparse I cant even get them to show with mascara.  But as Jacklin said,we are alive. 
1 cm, 0/2 neg nodes, lumpectomy 6/16/10, cytoxin/taxotere 4x every three weeks, rad start 11/8 33X
luzmia View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luzmia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2016 at 3:55pm
Good day,
My sister's eyelashes as well as eyebrows started falling out around the 3rd round of chemo. She had TC X4.  It's been 1 year and so far her lashes grow out but seem to fall out soon after, the eyebrows are not growing back at all but this problem can be easily fix with a eyebrow corrector pencil and eye lash extensions.  She is not to happy about this side effect but it could bee a lot worse.  Her hair has grown back and may i say I love it, its curly and heavy. So far she has had 3 hair cuts all ready. 
I always read all the post and pray for all to have a quick recovery.  My prayers to all you strong ladies.
Love.....
Luzmia 

Rsprite3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rsprite3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 5:34pm
Hi. I have a question. How long does the fatigue last? Im so tired all the time. I get up eat breakfast fall asleep again. I make myself do some chores like feed my chickens which is easy. Then Im tired again. Cant walk very long without having to sit down. Finished radiation june 2.
Anyone else have this problem?
Cavitybug101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cavitybug101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 5:54pm
How long are you off work after a mastectomy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cavitybug101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 6:00pm
Rsprit3 I have only had Chemo and now surgery. What I have been told radiation can make you fatigue. But not sure how long is normal I would call your doctor and make sure your fatigue is normal. My radiation is after I heal from surgery. Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cavitybug101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 6:02pm
I have surgery next week and the surgeon office is on vacation and was just wondering work was asking if I had any idea when I would be back
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 7:17pm
I was off 4 weeks following my mastectomy.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cavitybug101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2016 at 12:32pm
Thanks You so much 123Donna
snugltz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2016 at 1:04pm
I had radiation every weekday for two months.  I drove myself many times and it is a 45 minute trip each way.  Never was particularly tired.  I think everyone has different reactions.  To me it was a walk in the park next to chemo.  Didn't even get red until the last week.  Get yourself an aloe plant.  Not the gel you buy in the store.  It kept my extremely sensitive, very pale skin from burning.  I still have my plant and give leaves to those undergoing radiation.  It has helped them all. 
1 cm, 0/2 neg nodes, lumpectomy 6/16/10, cytoxin/taxotere 4x every three weeks, rad start 11/8 33X
Jacklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2016 at 2:39pm
I'm going to second the aloe plant concept. I'm blue eyed and blond and the radiation oncologist said I would probably burn badly. I didn't and she was surprised. I used saline soaks, aloe and then flammazine when prescribed.  I also went shirtless at home, I feel that the lack of friction was a major piece in my healing.  I also found radiation easier for me than chemo, it was just the daily drive (an hour each way) that was tiring for me. I typically took a short nap each afternoon, but that could also have been from the heat of summer.

Dx: Nov. 27/15, TNBC, left breast & lymph, BRCA -; Chemo: Dec 4/15 - Mar 4/16; 4 DD A/C, 3 DD Taxol; BMX/ALND: April 26/16; Stage 3C; Radiation: June 10-July 15/16; 1 cycle Xeloda: Aug 15 - 28/16
Rsprite3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rsprite3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2016 at 6:51pm
Luzmia thank you for your prayers. We all kind of have to know ourselves agai after treatment. "The new you" . I look so different now its quite a change. Thank you for the reminder it could be so much worse.  Quite true. I look at everything different now too. Just enjoying the little things like watching the hummingbirds out my window. Vollunteering with relay for life helpin other cancer warriors to know
That they are survivors even while in treatment.
Thankful for all of you here and all the people Ive met.
Tbis new life isnt good or bad its just new and different😋😃
RyB1984 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyB1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2016 at 8:54pm
Just got another update.....

Got the BRCA gene test back today and I believe they did test on all 16 different types of test/genes....whomever explained it to my mom....but all came back negative....which the oncologist and surgeon figured.

Next up......SURGERY! 08/30/16!!!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2016 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Cavitybug101 Cavitybug101 wrote:

I have surgery next week and the surgeon office is on vacation and was just wondering work was asking if I had any idea when I would be back

There have been some previous threads about mastectomy surgery and tips offered by members.  I'll post the threads and you can read through them and click on any links that might be helpful.  Wishing you the best!

[QUOTE=Grateful for today]
Think the great thread you may be referring to is: 
   http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/bmx-in-7-days-and-scared-to-death_topic10301.html 
There are lots and lots of good ideas and suggestions on above link. 

See the TNBC thread: 
             http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/the-after-surgery-tips_topic3104.html 

If others remember/find other good mastectomy related threads, please post.

I had posted some thoughts and suggestions on another thread awhile ago. 
Some thoughts on mastectomy surgery............... 
Pick and choose what seems helpful. Disregard the rest. 
    Call your surgeon's office about how to get a both arm measurement before surgery. 
        Some places use a tape measure. Some use a perometer. Some physical therapy departments 
        and some vascular departments do the arm measurements. 
        Maybe...hopefully your surgeon's office already has a plan for this. 
        Reason for pre-surgery arm measurements: 
                   Baseline to have in case there is a question of swelling or lymphedema in the future. 
                         (most women will not get lymphedema, but good to have as a baseline) 
                   Risks for lymphedema: ALND/sentinel node biopsy (less risk than ALND) /mastectomy/ 
                             had surgery in the armpit before now/radiation to the lymph node areas 
                             after lymph node surgery       
        Many do not have this done.......so if not possible to do, don't worry.....but worth asking 
               about. 
        If above not done, with body facing the wall, mark on a wall or closet door etc 
               how high both arms can reach above straight up........this way you know what you 
               could do before surgery......not everyone   can reach straight up to a full 180 degrees 
               (flexion) before surgery. 
    Think about your "healing cave".   When you get home, where will you spend time? 
        Do you have a recliner?    If not, is it possible you can borrow one? 
        Some people have suggested that a "recliner" is almost a must for s/p double mastectomy.....
              and helpful for unilateral mastectomy 
        If not a recliner, can you adapt a chair with pillows etc for easing getting into and out of? 
        Plan on what to have nearby in advance.....helpful things as well as "healing" things. 
    Accept ALL help offered esp. the first week. One may be able to manage by oneself if that 
       is the only option. Any help makes the recovery so much easier. 
       Also you can always cancel any planned help...........you are in charge of your recovery plan.      
    Make list of what you will bring to hospital on surgery day.   Pack bag before last minute. 
                 Pack chap stick for dry lips, a small notebook, pen. 
    Get Bath wipes (optional but a big help) from drug store. 
               (Not baby or hand wipes....personal bath wipes) 
               May be helpful the first few days instead of washcloth/towel/soap. 
    Go thru your clothes and find a few really easy to get into tops for the first week or so. 
               Depending on weather, zippered light fleece tops might be good. 
               Anything zippered or

Edited by 123Donna - Aug 17 2016 at 9:40pm

gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2016 at 7:31pm
Ry------thanks for update, keep in touch..

Edited by gordon15 - Aug 19 2016 at 7:32pm
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
Jacklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2016 at 3:26pm
All the best Ry with your upcoming surgery. Let us know how you're doing, ok? Know that I'll be praying for you.
RyB1984 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RyB1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2016 at 4:54pm
thank you both Jacklin and Gordon!

I will keep you all updated and will continue prayers to you all as well!!!
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2016 at 11:52pm
Rsprite,

Be sure and have your thyroid checked. That could be making you tired. There are some really old threads about that. It seems fairly "coincidental" that many of us have had some issues with low thyroid after treatment.

Kirby
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic