FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taxol/Carbo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GiselaH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiselaH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taxol/Carbo
    Posted: May 23 2016 at 9:23pm
Hi beautiful warriors!

How is everyone doing?  I have not been posting much lately but I a reading people's comments and I love how encouraging and loving everyone is!
It takes a village to get through this challenging journey, but boy what a nice village we have here!

I finished AC and just had my first Taxol/Carbo.  AC was a walk in the park. Not so much with Taxol/Carbo. Nausea is constant and NOTHING helps.

Does anyone have a trick or something that has worked for them?  I am taking Zofran and compasine. Nothing seems to work.

Hope everyone has a great evening

Hugs

Gisela
AmyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2016 at 11:12pm
Hi Gisela!

So glad to hear from you...I was worried😎 I'm so sorry you're struggling with nausea. I have to say, it was the one effect that I really DIDN'T have. I struggled with appetite through AC, but not so much with Taxol. How long did you wait between the last AC and the first Taxol? I got really sick after the first Taxol and they thought I might not have completely recovered from the AC since they only waited 2 weeks. I also hate the Decadron that they give as a premed...the side effects from that are worse than the Taxol. I had them lower my dose last time, and will try to get them to lower it again this week 🤗 Are you doing 12 doses of Taxol? I know some people do dose dense Taxol, but the side effects can be much worse. Keep taking the meds and eat small frequent meals.

Hope you feel 'mo better soon!!!

Amy
Dx Dec '15, 1.1 cm, stage 1A, gr 2, TNBC, BRCA -, 1/16 lumpectomy with red/lift, 2/16 DD A/C x 4, Taxol x12, planed radiation summer '16.
Lbsaeger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lbsaeger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2016 at 8:38pm
Hi Gisela,
I'm having 12 treatments of taxol weekly. I had my first one and I got neuralgia in my feet. Did you have any problems with taxol?
Thanks Lisa
Diag on yearly;6-16-16; TNBC-Stage 1-Grade 3; BRCA 1+; Tumor size 1.1cm.; Neg lymph; Dbl mast with exp; 7-28. Hyster after 6 M chemo;
Chemo 8/26; 4 doses AC every 3 weeks then Taxol x 12 weekly;
GiselaH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiselaH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2016 at 7:32pm
Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with Taxol/Carbo.

My oncologist had me take B6, B12 and a white power but can't recall the name.  Gluco something... sorry

I strongly recommend you communicate with your oncologist and see what she recommends. My understanding is that you can take suplements to minimize the side effects.

Also, I religiously used the cold mittens in my feel AND my hands during Taxol/Carbo. 

Best luck to you!

Diagnosed March 9th 2016. Stage 2, grade 3. Tumor size 5cms. No lymph involvement. 4 AC and 12 Daily taxol & 4 Carbo. Double Mastectomy September 2016. Radiation ?
Lbsaeger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lbsaeger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2016 at 9:13pm
Hi Gisela,
I was taking b complex. I will ask tomorrow about the supplements.
Thanks so much!
Lisa🌸
Diag on yearly;6-16-16; TNBC-Stage 1-Grade 3; BRCA 1+; Tumor size 1.1cm.; Neg lymph; Dbl mast with exp; 7-28. Hyster after 6 M chemo;
Maddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2016 at 3:44pm
Heart I am not a doctor, so please keep this in mind when reading my comment.

I am so glad to be back, by the way, I have kept myself lonely by staying away!

I was diagnosed and treated for triple-negative breast cancer, stage 3a or b, invasive ductal carcinoma, this in early 2011. Still here!

Dose dense Taxol was one of the chemo drugs, along with surgeries due to a BRCA mutation, and then radiation.

I am one of the women, it is less than 50%, I am not sure of the exact number, with residual, ongoing after effects from the drug Taxol. 

The after effects I contend with are rough. However, in no way do I recommend against
using this as part of your protocol if your doctor advises. 

I strongly, I cannot stress this enough, suggest getting a second opinion if possible. If you can, consider treatment at one of the hospitals certified as a cancer hospital. I am not using the right words, think I am conveying the concept though.

If I had not been able to go to a certified cancer center for most of my treatment, for a second opinion, I would be dead. My local hospital, the local oncologist, did not see the need for genetic testing. I called Myriad and arranged for the test myself, found I do have the BRCA mutation.

The surgeries were done at the cancer certified hospital, deleterious tissue was found in my fallopian tubes. Had they not been removed, cancer would have continued to grow in that area. 

When treated by oncology groups working out of local hospitals, it is a risk. Why?
They are accountable only to themselves.  While "keeping up", going to conferences, taking the extra classes, is the moral and professional choice, it does cut into their profit per patient. 

!You may find a great group, a group that keeps up with all that is new, everything in the field.!Thumbs Up

I am grateful to have insurance. All insurance plans now are now local, I think. For treatment or follow up I, we, are confined to whatever is on offer in our region. This is
much better than not being insurable, the alternative.

I try not to take it personally, the callous oncologists. It does hurt emotionally though, my visits are less than ten minutes, no time for questions, I leave as frightened and confused as when I arrive.

Taxol related problems at present: finger nails continue to fall out, extreme pain, not constant, in legs, torso and side of breast. Cognitive function diminished, getting better.
Inability to use fingers for needlepoint, fine work, this comes and goes, sometimes can walk, very occasional need for wheelchair. Extreme isolation, husband had moved family from my home town area, got sick in a place where I had not made new friends, some acquaintances. Most days alone. Extreme fatigue, days impossible to leave bed.

Please remember the above does not happen to everyone.

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2016 at 8:39pm
Hi Maddie!  So glad to see you are a long term survivor.  I'm sorry about the residual side effects.  Glad you found out about your BRCA status and could proceed with preventive surgery.  

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Lbsaeger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lbsaeger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2016 at 9:02pm
Hi Gisela,
I had my second taxol treatment weds. I'm good but I caught my daughters cold. Do you think my WBC will be good for next Weds? I don't want to ever be cancelled for treatment. I just want to be done with this. I'm tired of dodging everyone's colds here in Pa.
Lisa
Scoobydo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scoobydo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2016 at 12:48pm
I am new to this and was just dx 9/29/16 with tnbc Medullary Carcinoma Invasive stage 2 grade 3. was not in lymph nodes. Trmt has be 4 rounds of AC and next plan was taxol for 4 rounds but last trmt of AC oncologist told me she wants to add carbo to the taxol for reason of I'm 53 have tnbc and ki-67 was 38%. This is not new information so kind of concerned why now she wants to add this. I have concerns as to the side affects she said would further compromise my immunity and it would need to be monitored. With flu and cold season here and I have to work at my job as much as possible before I have a double mastectomy scheduled for March. I am Brec neg. but do have gentic marker for RAD51C. Any thoughts on adding carbo or should I maybe stay away from it to keep damage and side affects to a mimimum. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2016 at 12:59pm
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2017 at 8:41pm
Sorry to hear about your nausea, hope it subsides. Have you tried fresh ginger ?in a tea, in dinner, lots of ways to take it.

On another subject, I finished Taxol 3 weeks ago. I suffered especially at the end with severe Body aches that were the worst in my legs. Since I stopped, leg pain has remained but I also have severe back, neck and shoulder pain. Pain in shoulders is right between the shoulder blades.   Anyone experience these type of pains? How long does it last ? It's seems very hard to nail that down. Need to get back to work, but it seems difficult feeling this way.
Thx as always for your insights, Stay Strong!    
Rocky
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic