FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Protecting breast during radiation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Renate View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2017 at 11:34am
I am reading all the post here because I am starting radiation next week on the 9th. I am way behind with everything due to complications along the way. My double mastectomy was in March followed by A/C which I completed. Then I moved across country and started Taxol late and only finished 7 out of 12 due to complications. Now I am finally getting to the radiation. I have very fair skin and never had a sun tan in my life. I burn very quickly and normally protect my skin from the sun with clothing and sun screen. When I went to the mapping appointment they gave me some Aquaphor samples and told me that is all I can use. I am being treated at the Cancer Treatment & Research Center in San Antonio TX which is part of MD Anderson in Houston. My radiation oncologist is very well known and respected so I am thinking I should listen to him. I am just wondering why there are so many people using other things and would greatly appreciate any recommendations. 
Dx: 2/12/16, TNBC, left breast&lymph, age 68, Chemo: 5/23 - 7/6/15 4 A/C, 9/26/16 Taxol 7 out of 12 only; Radiation starting 1/9/17 BMX: 3/4/16; Lymph node removal 4/7/16 Staging: Stage 3A, Grade 3;
Powder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2017 at 1:22pm
Hi, Renate,
I chose to use the Egyptian Magic for the simple fact that I didn't like the feel of Aquaphor along with the fact that it was petroleum based, but I must stress that I did consult my radiation oncologist before using and he did give me the ok after reading the ingredients.  I would have an upfront conversation with your doctor and ask why he feels that Aquaphor is the only option (or the best, for that matter).  I can only speak for myself when I say that in my mind, I needed to be heard by my doctor in this matter and felt that this was a matter of choice.  It went extremely well for me, but I can't say how it would work for others as everyone responds differently.  Open up a conversation, but I agree that faith in your doctor is very important.  If using Aquaphor is not an issue with you for some reason, then I would follow his direction.

Dx 9/2013, TNBC Stage 3B, Grade 3, and DCIS Stage 0, Bilateral Mastectomy, 4 rounds DD A/C, 2 rounds DD Taxol, 2 rounds DD Abraxane, 33x radiation.
Renate View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2017 at 8:10pm
Thank you Powder for taking the time to respond. I already have Egyptian Magic in my cabinet so I will take it with me my first day and have somebody tell me if it is OK. I did purchase some Aquaphor but don't like it much. 

Take care

Renate
Dx: 2/12/16, TNBC, left breast&lymph, age 68, Chemo: 5/23 - 7/6/15 4 A/C, 9/26/16 Taxol 7 out of 12 only; Radiation starting 1/9/17 BMX: 3/4/16; Lymph node removal 4/7/16 Staging: Stage 3A, Grade 3;
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic