FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Got my hair Cut!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got my hair Cut!!
    Posted: Jul 15 2008 at 6:06am
Heather I have some links for you to look at for headcover ideas,

Look good feel better is a neat thing.  They usually have LGFB classes for chemo patients to show you how to work with your face, make-up, headwear etc.,  They will post upcoming classes you can sign up for in your area.  They also give you loads of very nice make-up from some great companies.

This also is a good place to look.  They have a good website with lots of help and a free catalog!

Best Wishes

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
myjourney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myjourney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2008 at 5:43am
Thanks Girls! Itchy, sweaty heads sound horribly uncomfortable! So, silk doesn't work so good, uh? I can't wait to go through this. This site and you girls sure do make it easier. Something to look forward to throughout the day, a good read!
33 year old
1.8 cm tumor/Node Neg
Lumpectomy 7/1/08
BRCA 1 & 2 Negative
AC DONE!! 9/17/08 Four of 'em
Taxotere done! 11 of 12 ~1/31/08
33 radiation
My blog:
heathersjourneytohealth.blogspot.
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2008 at 4:46am
Hi Kathy,

I bought a very pretty wig first time I was diagnosed and wore it once!
Too scratchy and uncomfortable.
My daughter got one last year that was amazing, it looked just like real hair.  The part was actually her scalp.  They can come up with some pretty ones but even the second time I was diagnosed I opted out of wigs.  I had given mine away.Smile

I think what you are doing is a great idea, a little goal and then back to resting.  So many times I didn't want to go somewhere or even get up but just taking a shower or doing the dishes, something little makes you feel better like you are still participating in life.

Congrats on having one more chemo to go and hope the rads go as well as possible,

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
CarynRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarynRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2008 at 4:45pm
I too was not in love with wigs.  I started losing my hair during chemo last August.  By the time I shaved it in October, it was chilly up there, but wigs made my head sweat and for some reason, the wig wouldn't stay in one place on my head.  When I turned my head quickly, my bangs would end up over my ear. 

I couldn't get the hang of scarves, so I used these really cute berets that would keep my head warm and make me look oh, so cute.... LOL

You will do fine and this will be just a speed bump in your life.

Cheers,
Caryn
Orig dx 6/03 - St.2a, IDC
gr.3,0 nodes, TNBC/BRCA1+
7/07 St 4 mets to nodes/lungs. PACA/Rads NED 11/07-10/08
Lepto mets 10/08
Rads for 4 brain tumors 4/10.
Leptomets return 6/10
JulieG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2008 at 4:25pm

MyJourney,

You new "do" looks great!  I remember when I shaved my head, my sister was shaving it and about half way thru  I got quiet and she got nervous.  She told me if I cried she was going to stop shaving.  It cracked me up because I could just see me walking around with half my head shaved!  Needless to say we finished.  I've now been bald since February 2007 and when I look at myself in pictures with hair it looks so wierd.  I too have not worn wigs and if I didn't have such a big bowling ball head would not wear a scarf either.  I did try a wig but it is just so uncomfortable, especially after chemo.  I wear a lot of bandanas, I fold them 3/4 of the way that way they fit better.  Also I have found some beautiful scarfs on headcovers.com they are cotton and tend to stay in place better than silk or nylon.  And they are very affordable. 

I like your attitude, Stay proud!

Hugs and prayers,
JulieG

Edited by JulieG - Jul 14 2008 at 4:27pm
Dx 2/07 TN
Mastec Lft Brst, 11 lym node
Cytoxin/Taxotere 6mth biwkly
Mets to lung, liver and lymph nodes 12/07
Ixempra/Avastin/Xeloda 6mths
Rad x14
Avastin/Abraxene every 21 days
kmartin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2008 at 3:05pm
I am so with you about the wig....I wear it for every one else...they say it looks "so good" but I feel like I have WIG spelled out across my forehead : )

I would be comfortable with being bald if I felt that I wouldn't be stared at, or frighten young children...mostly I wear simple scarves (Wal-Mart).

I am with you on so much being taken away all at once...being a very task oriented person. What I found helps me is setting small goals each day, even if it is as simple as showering and dressing by a certain time of day. Sitting up instead of laying down for a measured amount of time...these small goals (and sometimes small is all you can do) give me some measure of control in a situation where there is little.

Today I went to work for 4 hours and though I am exhausted, it felt great to be with everyone. (4 hours was my goal).

I am done with 5/6 rounds of CT...one to go...then RT for 33 visits.

Hang in there,

Kathy

Stage II IDC, 4 pos. nodes 2/08
TAC x 6 started 4/3/08

Beth Anne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2008 at 8:03am
Heather,'
Great photo... Your so correct about the wigs being for others! I only put one on once to have a photo taken for my US Passport that expired in the middle of my A/C chemo treatment... They won't let you where hat's of scarfs and I just wasn't sure I wanted to look at a bald photo for the next ten yearsLOL
I also had my hair cut short when first diag... when I got out of the hospital from my second A/C treatment, I had my sister in law shave my head as my hair was coating the house everywhere...
I found lots of fun scarfs at Nordstrom's another place to check out is Mary Cathrines off broadway next to Swedish they have a good hat selection most of the time...

Enjoy the sunshineBig%20smile,

Beth Anne
Dx 5/07 DCIS Stage3 gr9 A/C x 6, Abrax x 16 Bi-Mass 2/08
Navelbine x 12, finished radiation end of July 08. DX Brain Met's 2/09StageIV
CK3/09.Brain resection4/09 WBR
Dreaming of dancing with Ned!
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2008 at 6:36am
Morning Heather,

Lori hated the wigs. They gave her a headache, especially the days after chemo. Then she wore scarfs to school. The little girls in the school thought it was a new fashion trend, and started wearing them to school alsoWink She is a second grade teacher, and that is the only reason she wore the wigs, as she thought it would be too traumatic for the children. When she was home, off came the wig. When Lori walked, ran or biked...only a doo rag or a scarf. She said she found it exhilirating to ride with the wind on her scalpLOL

You are so right sweetie, you and every woman who is dx has had so much taken away from them. Not to take away the devastation for any woman at any age, but at your age, this must be even more traumatic.

We're pulling for you and will be here for you throughout your journey.
Hugs,
Nancy

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2008 at 4:46am
Heather your hair is cute as can be!

Mine is growing out, chemo ended last October and it is about your length but not quite.

I'm so glad you are giving us updates, you are precious and we will be here for you,

-

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
myjourney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myjourney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2008 at 8:04pm
Sadie,

I decided to forgo the wig. My insurance would pay for it, but the wig is for everyone else. The fact is is that I have Breast Cancer. I am not going to hide what I have to go through. I will have a hard time with it for a few days, but I will be okay. The hard part isn't the hair. It is having so much taken from me at once. That is the sadness and the pain. Not the hair. I am going to Rock the scarff's!
33 year old
1.8 cm tumor/Node Neg
Lumpectomy 7/1/08
BRCA 1 & 2 Negative
33 radiation
My blog:
Sadie Rose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sadie Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2008 at 7:51pm
Hi Myjourney

What a beautiful photo.  I love the hair cut.  I don't know if you are going to purchase a wig, but you can find one very close to you current style.  Your friends won't even know.

I do think it helped me take charge and cut my hair.  I had thick shoulder length hair that was curly.  I got my hair cut by a friend into a pixie cut.  Then a day later I shaved my head.  I don't know why, but I wanted to do it, rather than just wait for it to happen.

How many chemotherapy treatments do you have to have?  I can tell by your spirit, you are going to do fine.  You can get through this and being node negative is great news!

Hope you plan fun activities for tomorrow.

Warmly,
Sadie
dx@62in05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dx@62in05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2008 at 7:46pm
As if science had any clue about the wonderful women souls that we are.  Shaved my head while in chemo.  Have some wonderful photos. The whole experience is a blank now.  You will be fine, sweet pea.
Lynn
myjourney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myjourney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2008 at 6:20pm
Okay, I had to take control of what I can. So, My long long hair two weeks ago got cut to shoulder length. And on 7/11/08, I got the Pixie Cut Rockin' now!! Chemo starts sometime in the week of the 21st. Harvest the eggs first, sometime next week![

33 year old
1.8 cm tumor/Node Neg
Lumpectomy 7/1/08
BRCA 1 & 2 Negative
33 radiation
My blog:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic