FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toenail problems?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
myleftboob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myleftboob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toenail problems?
    Posted: Aug 23 2015 at 9:48am
I have completed Taxol (11/12) and am doing A/C (every 3 weeks) now. I've had 3 A/C and only have one more to go. During my last pedicure, my esthetician told me that I had a yellowish pus coming out from under both big toenails (big toe on each foot). The nails had been painful for some time. I went to my primary care physician, who believes i have a staph infection from ingrown toenails. I'm wondering if that is correct? I've been taking Bactrim for 10 days and the nails still are infected. I have never had ingrown toenails before. I'm concerned that there has been no improvement.

Did anyone have a similar problem with their toes during chemo? If so, what were you told about the problem and how was it treated?

Surgery is scheduled for September 22, and I would like to resolve this before that if possible.   
Dx 2-13-15, IDC 2-B, Gr 3, TNBC; Port 3-12-15; MRI 3-19-15 T 3.8 x 3.5 x 3.7 cm ALN 2.5 cm; MRI 6-17-15 T 1.2 x 1.2 x 1.4 cm ALN 1.2 cm; Chemo: 11 Taxol, 4 A/C; Lumpectomy/SLNB: 9-22-15 pCR; 19 Rads
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2015 at 1:34pm
Toenail infections and fungus are very common from chemo.  I was told not to have a manicure or pedicure while undergoing chemotherapy.  Have you talked to your onc about it?  Maybe see a podiatrist?  They may be able to suggest another course of treatment.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

MLindaG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLindaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2015 at 10:44pm
I had the same problem.......it seems like fungus infections are a normal problem.  I ended up losing most of my toenails. Onc told me to see a podiatrist.  My podiatrist  was familiar with the problem.  Just getting my nail off (took most of it) helped the pain.  I too, was told not to get a mani or pedi during chemo because you could get an infection as your immune system is lowered. 
Dx TNBC 6/12; age 59; Stage 3, Grade 3; 3.5 cm, 3/10 nodes + chest wall nodes; A/C x4, T x 12 completed 12/12 with PCR, 2/13/13 lump; IMRT Rads x 33 completed 5/22/13 BRCA 1 negative.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myleftboob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2015 at 7:04am
Originally posted by 123Donna 123Donna wrote:

Toenail infections and fungus are very common from chemo.  I was told not to have a manicure or pedicure while undergoing chemotherapy.  Have you talked to your onc about it?  Maybe see a podiatrist?  They may be able to suggest another course of treatment.

Thanks so much for the article, Donna. I was not told to avoid pedicures. I'm going to ask the oncologist what she recommends. A full course of antibiotics has not improved the condition. I have surgery scheduled and want to make sure this is cleared up before that!
Dx 2-13-15, IDC 2-B, Gr 3, TNBC; Port 3-12-15; MRI 3-19-15 T 3.8 x 3.5 x 3.7 cm ALN 2.5 cm; MRI 6-17-15 T 1.2 x 1.2 x 1.4 cm ALN 1.2 cm; Chemo: 11 Taxol, 4 A/C; Lumpectomy/SLNB: 9-22-15 pCR; 19 Rads

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myleftboob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2015 at 7:08am
Originally posted by MLindaG MLindaG wrote:

I had the same problem.......it seems like fungus infections are a normal problem.  I ended up losing most of my toenails. Onc told me to see a podiatrist.  My podiatrist  was familiar with the problem.  Just getting my nail off (took most of it) helped the pain.  I too, was told not to get a mani or pedi during chemo because you could get an infection as your immune system is lowered. 

Linda, I wish I had heard about this before starting chemo! I would have stopped getting pedicures. I have never been to a podiatrist. I'm going to email the clinical trial nurse and ask her to check with my doctor about it. Thank you!
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2015 at 10:30am
My wife was told to put Vicks Vaporub around the big toenail base, the nail will grow in without the fungus, the nail will fall off as the new one grows in, this told to her by chemo podiatrist while on TAC chemo. It worked. She said no cure for fungus that's already there. Infection is another issue, though.
franks114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franks114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2017 at 3:13am

If you are infected with toenail fungus and want to try some home remedies then above mentioned are much effective to apply. But, you can prevent toenail fungus infection issue if you try some effective ways. You can know how to prevent toenail fungus at:

http://nailfungus-treatment.weebly.com

stella114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stella114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2017 at 3:21am

If you are getting any toenail problem then it means that you are infected with toenail fungus infection which is most irritating. However, there are several ways you can apply to get rid of it. You can kill toenail fungus infection with some healthy ways, means without affecting your toenail at all. You can know the best ways at: Healthy Ways To Kill Toenail Fungal Infection. With these ways, you will be able to kill your toenail infection soon. All the best!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic