FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tingling Fingers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sharon E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tingling Fingers
    Posted: Feb 24 2015 at 7:41am
I am 11 treatments into my 28 that I need to do.  My skin is doing OK so far, just a little pink.  One thing I am noticing is that my fingers on the right side (where they are doing the radiation) are tingly at times. It feels similar to when I was going through Taxol treatments.  Is this related to the radiation?  It has been really cold here, but I am very careful to keep my hands and feet warm.  Radiation oncologist didn't have a response when I mentioned it.  I am noticing a little lymphedema and have been doing my self-massages.
3/12 Stg2b TNBC, IDC, Grade 3, age 49, 3 nodes, BRCA-,4/12-8/12 AC/T, 9/12 MBX no rads
10/14 Recur chest, BM, biopsy removed tumors, Gem/Carb 4,1/15, NED 1/15, Rads, 7/15 BM, Gem/Carb 4
JackiWalkr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackiWalkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2015 at 3:57pm
I just finished 33 radiation treatments and did not have any tingling in my fingers. I bet it's from chemo. I have heard of others having neuropathy coming and going the first year after chemo.
DX IDC TNBC 3/31/14 Age 46 Stage 2a, Grade 3, 2.1cm, 0 nodes, (4)Carbo(5)Taxol. AC DD 4 of 4. Lumpectomy 10/30/2014 NED. 33 Rads 2/12/15. BRCA 1/2 normal=negative
MomMom44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MomMom44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2015 at 3:59pm
I think it's entirely possible that the tingling may be neuropathy from chemo.  It's my understanding that you can experience this months post chemo.  I go to an excellent RO who never mentioned any such symptoms from rads, nor have I ever heard of this anecdoctally.  I've also heard that the neuropathy may last or it may just go away.  Best of luck to you!
DX TNBC 1/14; age 66; Stage 1; Grade 2; 1.2 cm; 0/2 nodes; lumpectomy; BRAC Neg; 4 DD AC; Completed 12 weekly Taxol July 2014; Radiation August 2014
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2015 at 10:20am
Dear Sharon E,
I agree with others that the tingling is most likely neuropathy. Also, the cold weather can make the tingling worse, even painful. I still have slight neuropathy in the tips of my fingers and soles of my feet after 8 years.
It will get better with time.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
cindy52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindy52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2015 at 4:32pm
message to MomMom - I just wanted to touch base with you , as your signature shows same Dx, stage, tumor size and close to same age as me, but I was just diagnosed this Feb. We are the lucky ones to be diagnosed at stage 1, but nothing else about this seems "lucky". So many women on this site are being diagnosed so late! anyway, I am interested in how you've done, what follow up you've had, and how you are feeling. Sounds like we've had the same treatment plan. I did not have neoadjuvant;  had LX, then chemo, which I've only had x 2 so far.
Are you feeling good after finishing treatment? does back to "normal" ever come?
I wish I could figure out private messaging on this!
Dx IDC 02/15,Stage 1b, Class 3, tumor 1.2 cm, nodes 0/1. lumpectomy 2-24-15. DDAC- 4 cycles; taxol weekly x 12. Planned radiation after chemo.
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2015 at 7:51pm
Dear cindy52,
To send a private message.... Above MomMom44's picture on the left, click on MomMom44's name; you will then see the second option is to sent private message. A screen opens up that gives you an opportunity to send her a private message.

Good Luck,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
MomMom44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MomMom44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2015 at 3:59pm
Dear Cindy,

I did see this message and I am very happy to tell you that I am doing great! I did have a scare in that a routine follow up Ultrasound done on April 17 found a tiny (3mm) cyst on the same breast as the cancer which had to be biopsied. The radiologist who did the biopsy on April 21 told me that it looked completely benign & in fact it dissipated after she took 2 core samples. I got the good news yesterday that it was Benign!! I see my breast surgeon as a follow up on April 27 and will ask her for an MRI, rather than another mammogram as she originally indicated would be the next screening in Sept. 2015. As an MRI found the stage 1 TN in January 2014, I feel like that's what I need to monitor it closely - especially in the first three years.
I am thanking God that I have done so well since my chemo ended July 2014 & rads completed Sept 2014. My hair is growing back (need my third trim soon:-) & getting compliments on my shorter "do." My big toenails that I lost to chemo have grown back & my energy level has been at its former high level for many, many months. The one persistent problem I had was excessively tearing eyes from the Taxol. It went on for nearly 8 months! I've finally found an excellent ophthalmologist (5th one) who has put me on a treatment regime that is working for my now correctly diagnosed dry eyes.
I feel extraordinarily blessed to be doing as well as I am and to have come this far in less than a year. Prayers to you and all our TN sisters who are now going through treatment. You can do it! Don't know your age, but I am 68 & still work out like crazy every day. I will try later to change my profile pic from one of me in my wig (which looked lots like my former hair) to me now.
One other thing, I did ice during Taxol infusions with Elasto Gel gloves & booties (I had two sets as one didn't last the entire hour infusion + 10 minutes before & after)to prevent neuropathy. I may have been one of the lucky ones who wouldn't have gotten neuropathy anyway, but I attribute me not having one sign of it to the icing.
Best to you, Paula
DX TNBC 1/14; age 66; Stage 1; Grade 2; 1.2 cm; 0/2 nodes; lumpectomy; BRAC Neg; 4 DD AC; Completed 12 weekly Taxol July 2014; Radiation August 2014
cindy52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindy52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2015 at 10:24pm
Thanks, I plan to do the icing when I start Taxol; I'm 62, out of work on medical leave for now. 
Why did you have to be on Taxol for so long? That sounds dreadful!
Glad to hear all your good news since finishing treatment.  Women on this site tend to be "lost in followup " to each other. good to hear happy outcomes.
Do you know of anyone with ice mitts and booties to sell?
Dx IDC 02/15,Stage 1b, Class 3, tumor 1.2 cm, nodes 0/1. lumpectomy 2-24-15. DDAC- 4 cycles; taxol weekly x 12. Planned radiation after chemo.
Sharon E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2015 at 7:21am
Congratulations, Paula, on doing so well!  Cindy, I also had 12 rounds of Taxol after my 4 AC. I think that is standard protocol.

3/12 Stg2b TNBC, IDC, Grade 3, age 49, 3 nodes, BRCA-,4/12-8/12 AC/T, 9/12 MBX no rads
10/14 Recur chest, BM, biopsy removed tumors, Gem/Carb 4,1/15, NED 1/15, Rads, 7/15 BM, Gem/Carb 4
MomMom44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MomMom44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2015 at 5:14pm
Sharon, Thank you! Congratulations on being NED!

Cindy, Sharon is correct, 4 rounds of dose dense AC, two weeks apart, followed by 12 weekly Taxol is the norm. It was all very doable.

Sadly, my 38 year old daughter in law was diagnosed with ER+, PR+, Her 2- bc in January. She is now using my Elasto Gel gloves & booties for the Taxotere, Cytoxan she is now on. She has other health issues including Crhon's disease which was diagnosed shortly before the bc. Ugh. I'm so pleased she can make good use of the gloves & booties.

FYI--Medicare is my primary, with federal Blue Cross/Blue Shield as secondary. Medicare has covered most all of my bc treatment, but they did not cover the $500 for two sets of the gloves & booties. After 10 months of my husband's persistence with BC/BS, we finally received a $500 reimbursement check. So, at least some insurance companies will cover, IF you are persistent. His next task is getting reimbursement for the $200 LE sleeve and gauntlet, which I will wear preventively when I fly. I have no signs of LE, and have continued my upper body weight training at the gym with no issues. However, I had been doing that routinely prior to the bc.

cindy52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindy52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2015 at 8:18pm
Paula, thanks for the advise; when I've pushed back on insurance, I;ve had some success if my PCP order them. I'm sorry you've gotten so much use out of those gloves and booties. Good luck to your daughter-in-law.  Stupidly, I misread your comment that "it went on for 8 months, thinking you meant your chemo; I see you meant the eye problem. Good luck to you. I'm glad you are an alumnus of this club that none of us ever wanted to join, and a successful graduate.  I always read the signatures, and my heart sinks when I see a stage 1, 1cm tumor,with negative nodes, then a metastatic or recurrent tumor a year later. I read everything I can find, keep a list, and bring it to my Dr visits.
Cindy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic