FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fingernails,toenails after treatment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fingernails,toenails after treatment
    Posted: Jul 24 2017 at 10:50pm
If you can't eat it then it should not be on your body and that includes nail and toe polish. Your life has to change and that includes no sugar. Cancer LOVES sugar. It is a wake up call if you don't want the cancer to return. 
franks114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franks114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2017 at 2:36am

You can try several ways to treat toenail fungus infection. It is quite difficult to heal this issue but is not impossible. It takes some time to completely remove toenail fungus from your feet by applying some natural home remedies. Yes, with the help of some natural home remedies, you can treat toenail fungus infection with an ease. There are several causes of toenail fungus but it can be prevented if you follow some tips. You can know the causes and ways of prevention of toenail fungus at: 

http://toenailinfection.wixsite.com/curetoenailfungus ;

Alos, you can find some home remedies to treat toenail fungus at home only.

parrynd1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrynd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2017 at 1:57pm
I have continued to get my nails done throughout chemo. I do gel nails because I have read in a few seemingly credible sources and from nail technicians (although I have one lady I go to because she is fantastic) that acrylic is very bad for nail health since it essentially melts the top of the nail to bond with it...nothing serious of course but the chemical reaction to acrylic on nails vs gel seemed kind of worrisome for me. To each their own, but gel has been good to me and I did acrylic for a long time before switching and seeing the difference. One major thing though is my nail lady knows not to cut my cuticles and is always very sanitary taking no risks with equipment and station cleanliness. I also have kept the shape pretty short so I don't break one or have anything happen. I am also a bad nail biter and get crazy if there is a chip or rough edge and keeping my nails on has helped. No biting or obsessing over peeling nails or anything so in a way continuing to get my nails done has really helped with that. And I've had them long enough to where I don't need plastic tips and she can just do the gel on top of my natural nail.

Oh one thing I think I do different is she does completely remove all the gel each time so we can check my nail health and use fresh product for best results. This can be harsher since you soak off the gel each time, but I feel the benefits outweigh the potential consequences here.

I also use some oils and natural things my oncologist said is ok to keep using for nail health and prevent fungus or infections. I would talk to your doctor to see what they might recommend for you specifically since everyone's situation and treatment differ. Cancer may take hair and health but for me getting my nails done was something of a victory. I could control this. I could still do things I loved and be feminine in this way.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Edited by parrynd1 - Jun 23 2017 at 1:59pm
Dx 9/016 Age 28, 3c, Grade 3, 1/5 Nodes, BRCA -, KI-67 >90%, I-Spy 2, DD A/C, Lumpectomy w/ 3 nodes removed, TC, Rads
2/2018 recurrence + brain & lung mets, Craniotomy, SRS, IPI-549, Opdivo/Avastin
silvesta001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvesta001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2017 at 1:09am

You can try some natural remedies to treat toenail or fingernail fungus. Some remedies can be seen below:

• Baking Soda with Hydrogen Peroxide: Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide helps to make your teeth whiter and your toenails pinker. You can mix a small amount of baking soda of 1 tablespoon with 2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide. This can be done to make a baste. After this, apply this mixture directly to the toenail fungus area with complete focus on the edges and the nail bed if exposed. When you apply this paste, you will see that the paste will start to bubble. This thing is quite normal when there are fungi and bacteria being killed by this application.

• Lemon: Lemon is acidic in nature and it has an anti-pathogenic properties. Lemon can used as the best home remedy to treat ingrown toenail fungus. You just have to cut slices of lemons and then soak them in warm water and then soak your feet every day for half an hour. The acidic nature of lemon cures the infection and the warm water relieves the pain.

These remedies should be definitely tried if you want to get rid of toenail or fingernail fungus. You can also look at some other home remedies at 5 Easy ways to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus. Try these remedies and get rid of this issue forever. 

stella114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stella114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2017 at 1:03am

If you have undergone some treatment and you are now having fingernail or toenail fungus then don’t worry because you can now easily get rid of such fungus infection with an ease. You can try some natural home remedies to get rid of toenail or fingernail fungus.

Oregano Oil: Oregano oil contains so many properties where some of them are same as the tea tree oil. You can make the same paste with oregano oil or apply it to your toenail fungus affected area directly. If you want oregano oil to be effective to cure toenail fungus then you will be required to give it at least 30 minutes to work. Apply this paste for 30 minutes twice a day for some regular days to get better results.

Urea Paste: Some urea paste like Gormel Crème can help you dissolve the diseased portion of a nail while leaving the healthy part intact. Once the paste is dissolved, you can then follow with an antifungal cream like Miranel. However, it is quite vital to be sure to check with a dermatologist or podiatrist before you start this treatment.

These remedies can be applied to treat toenail or fingernail fungus. These are very effective to treat and these remedies has been seen at: Home Remedies For Toenail Fungus You can also have a look at some other home remedies for nail fungus. 

mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2014 at 11:33pm
I found this article on nail care during and after chemo. It's got some good pointers I hadn't thought of so good thing you asked!
http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/hair_skin_nails/nails

Nail care is first-line prevention for lymphedema, a condition that develops when lymph fluid accumulates in the soft tissues of the arm, causing it to swell. If you've had an underarm lymph node dissection (with mastectomy or lumpectomy), you should be particularly careful of damage to the nail, such as hangnails or cuts or burns on the hands or fingers, which could lead to infection. Read more about other ways to avoid lymphedema.

The article does also address nail polish, hope it helps!

Edited by mainsailset - Nov 15 2014 at 11:35pm
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
kmwhope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmwhope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2014 at 10:14pm
Hi all, I hope maybe some of you could give me your experience as I move forward after treatment. I went yesterday for my "survivor " instruction but of course I forgot to ask when I could safely get my nails done. I'm 10 weeks out of chemo and 4 weeks from last radiation. My nails look horrible but they are not infected mostly thin and discolured but very sore because I constantly catch them or chew on them because they are rough on the edges...I have done acrylic nails for years and would love to start that again but not sure if it's too soon..I actually think it would keep me from picking at them and they may heal better.. My toenails are not good either but I feel like it's winter and I can just cover those up but the fingers are a different story..I'm looking forward to try to get back to some kind of normal .. I won't say I don't think about all I've been thru but I want to be as positive and upbeat as I can.. Thank you ladies for your advice for those of us that are new to this battle I read the post and try to take in as much information as I can and learn all I can to stay healthy and cancer free by Gods grace..thanks Kathy
age 58 dx Feb14 stage 1A grade 3/ had lumpectomy Mar14 1.8 clear margins no nodes// involved..4 AC/12 Taxol//Brac neg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic