FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

late effects of radiation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: late effects of radiation
    Posted: Mar 13 2015 at 9:45pm
Something about this conversation struck a memory chord. When I was having radiation there were several articles coming out that some radiation equipment had not been calibrated properly and was causing patients to have varying degrees of problems.

So for anyone reading this that is now having radiation or will be in the future it might be worthwhile to ask the radiation oncology team when the last time the equipment was calibrated and if they've had any issues. Just sayin...
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2015 at 7:52am
Hi Sharon,

I had radiation after I had my implants.  The radiated side became harder and smaller than the other side.  It's been almost 4 years since radiation and I'm having an MRI to check the health of the implants.  I don't know about any studies or techniques to prevent it, but it's worth a try for you since you're just finishing radiation.  Hope it works!

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Sharon E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2015 at 6:54am
I am just finishing radiation and have a question about late effects of radiation on my implant.  Doc says that it could become encapsulated with scar tissue any time from now until I turn 100.  She says that some massage techniques and vitamin E may prevent this.  Is there any research on this?  Any suggestions from others that have been through radiation and have an implant?  I really don't want to have this happen!
3/12 Stg2b TNBC, IDC, Grade 3, age 49, 3 nodes, BRCA-,4/12-8/12 AC/T, 9/12 MBX no rads
10/14 Recur chest, BM, biopsy removed tumors, Gem/Carb 4,1/15, NED 1/15, Rads, 7/15 BM, Gem/Carb 4
TriplePositiveGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 12:37pm
Nonna,

I am almost  3 1/2 years from my end of my radiation treatment and I still have pain too. I have in sometimes in the sternum, ribs and breast tissue - especially where the surgery site its. My doctor never warned me that this could be the case - possibly forever - so at first I was alarmed and worried that I have bone mets or something. I have a feeling this will never completely go away. I read somewhere that Bee Propolis is good for inflammation that is caused by radiation. I just started taking these supplements, along with several others that I have been taking for a while now. It's a shame we have to deal with these on going issues, but it certainly is better than the alternative (cancer).

Have a nice Easter Weekend Ladies!
Lisa
Diagnosed Jan 2010; Stage IIa, grade 2, 3.2cm in rt. breast, no nodes and BRCA-. 4 cycles Carbo/Gemzar 3/10; Lump 6/10; 2 cycles carbo/gem after surgery 8/10; 35 Rads finished 12/1/10. NED.
MLindaG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLindaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 4:46am
Nonna, I just had frozen shoulder which they said was likely caused by radiation.......scar tissue in my upper shoulder area. Very painful but with physical therapy has totally improved. I told my dh.....the side effects of all that I've gone through just doesn't stop!!! I too had burned skin and had to stop radiation for over a week until things healed up.......thank goodness I was near the end and only had the bursts left!
Dx TNBC 6/12; age 59; Stage 3, Grade 3; 3.5 cm, 3/10 nodes + chest wall nodes; A/C x4, T x 12 completed 12/12 with PCR, 2/13/13 lump; IMRT Rads x 33 completed 5/22/13 BRCA 1 negative.
nonna1642 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nonna1642 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:30pm
Dear DebB,

Thank you for the feedback. That is what I am beginning to think that it is damage on the inside due to the radiation. since it was badly burned on the outside & I was given medicine for that to put on to heal the outside. At least we are still alive & here. I really don't think that there has been much research on the late effects of breast cancer or any cancer for that matter. I guess we live & learn. I just had my mammogram the other day & an ultrasound on the mastectomy side & as far as I know everything is fine. It does make me wonder how we are supposed to know if anything is wrong when we have the same symptoms for other problems but like I said before am glad I am still here. Take care & have a nice day.

nonna
Dx: age 70 IDC TNBC Grade 3 5/10 left mastectomy Stage IIB 5.1 cm no reconstruction followed by chemo of Taxotore & Cytoxin then radiation
debB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 9:05am
Hey Nonna,

I didn't have a mx, but had lumpectomy followed by radiation. Yes, you absolutely can have ongoing problems caused from the radiation. I just had fat grafting last week to try to alleviate some ongoing pain from radiated tissue. They took the field above my clavicle, and some days it aches so bad. One time when I asked the oncologist about it, he said, 'they fried your bones! It's gonna hurt!'

Even though my radiation field didn't go below the breast, I have an area that bothers me fairly often. It is in the lower rib/liver/gallbladder area. They have checked it and found nothing after it bothered me for months, so now they just say damage from radiation bounce since this was never a problem before, same with a cough I tend to have now. The surgeon has checked me over very thoroughly and calls my breast tissue 'reactive tissue'. When I do an exam, it is sore. If I think I feel something and keep an eye on it by checking it more, it hurts more. The more I mess, the more I hurt, so I try to keep hands off except for a monthly exam. I have a specific spot that I think is bothered by my bra that some dats just kills.

As far as I know, there are no tests to confirm any of this, just ruling out to make sure nothing else is going on. Chemo and radiation...the gifts that just keep on giving...and giving.

Deb
Dx 4/29/11, 46 yrs old, 3.9 cm tumor, Stg 2 Grade 3 chemo 4 rounds DD AC, 12 weekly taxol, finish. Lumpectomy, 2mm residual tumor. 37 rounds rads completed. Cisplatin/PARP trial
nonna1642 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nonna1642 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 11:48pm
Just wondering if anyone out there have had any late effects from radiation after a mastectomy such as pain in the bone up near the clavical & rib cage? Bone scans have not shown anything. I did have a severe radiation burn on the chest wall during my radiation. Could that have caused pain on the inside or maybe damage to the muscle or nerves? Are there any tests tat would show if there is any damage? I am almost 4 years out from my surgery, chemo & radiation. Other then this constant pain & my prostheses aggraviting it I am doing Ok. Thanks.

nonna
Dx: age 70 IDC TNBC Grade 3 5/10 left mastectomy Stage IIB 5.1 cm no reconstruction followed by chemo of Taxotore & Cytoxin then radiation
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic