FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ketogenic diet???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arabella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ketogenic diet???
    Posted: Sep 23 2013 at 4:52pm
I did a search to see if I could find a discussion on this site and couldn't come up with anything.  I was wondering if any of you have been on this diet for any length of time....or if you have any thoughts about it you'd care to share???  I see on internet where on line Dr. Mercola supports it and he was the doctor who was supporting more Vit. D when other doctors didn't have a clue or were completely not interested in what he had to say.   
Thanks for any insight as I very much value  the opinions of my fellow posters here.
Kaye
Dx TNBC 1/2013; age 63; 1.1 cm; Stage 1, Grade 1(?); lumpectomy clear margins; ALND -; severe SEs to first TC and treatment stopped; radsX25; BRCA -
Recur 6/2015 Mastectomy
Lee21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 6:56pm
Hi Kaye,

I don't know a whole lot about ketogenic diets -- it does seem to have some scientific rationale since many tumors have altered metabolism and rely heavily on glycolysis rather than oxidative phosphorylation for generating energy, a phenomenon known for a long time as the "Warburg effect".  The PET scan that we are all familiar with monitors glucose uptake by the tumors.  Having said that, the high fat, reduced protein, no carb diet seems at odds with epidemiology studies (the WINS study) showing that a very low fat diet (33g of fat daily) protects against recurrence.  Perhaps the key is that in the absence of detectable disease, a low fat diet is protective but once a tumor(s) has become established, starving the tumor of glucose could be of help.  No scientific basis for that, just conjecture on my part.

Lee
12/9/11 @59,IDC,grade3, TNBC,3cm(MRI),SLNB0,stage IIA, BRCA1 variant
1/30/12 DD AC-T, 6/7/12 Lumpectomy, ypT1b(0.8 cm), 7/9/12 Rads x 30
11/9/12, clinical trial cisplatin/rucaparib, cisplatin-only arm
arabella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 12:06pm
Thanks so much for responding, Lee.  I did order Dr. Seyfried's book on the diet.  After reading your post, I come back to my usual thoughts which have to do with balance.  A good healthy balance of nutrition for me personally is probably what I should adhere to.

Another poster, Kizzie, mentioned that she is following this diet and she is at MDA now and I asked her what those doctors had to say about this way of eating.  Hopefully she will comment.

Your thoughts always make good sense to me.  Thanks again!

Kaye

Dx TNBC 1/2013; age 63; 1.1 cm; Stage 1, Grade 1(?); lumpectomy clear margins; ALND -; severe SEs to first TC and treatment stopped; radsX25; BRCA -
Recur 6/2015 Mastectomy
arabella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 12:23pm
I wanted to add to above post that I have a sweet tooth and maybe I should eat a ketogenic diet in order to "get off" sugar....then switch over to lower fat (making sure to eat the good fats) and get my sugar from fruit which for me would just be eating in a more well balanced nutritionally sound way.  That way I would be incorporating both "schools of thought" sort of....  :)

Kaye

Recur 6/2015 Mastectomy
JulieKCA2013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulieKCA2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 2:24am
Funny  because I was just handed something from my mother about this diet.  I did not feel an ease with this diet like Lee because of the high fat regimen.  Kaye I too have a sweet tooth so I am in your boat trying to eat healthy naturally.  When I was researching the Ketogenic diet I found this:  http://www.beyonddiet.com/l/ketogenic-bv?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=sch_eng2-us&food=blueberry&gclid=CKWMz6nC5rkCFSlo7AodU0IA0g

I haven't had time to research it but what she says makes sense.  Wish you well on your journey Kaye.

-Julie

Dx 3-7-13 TNBC, 5cm pT2N1M0
3-19-13 ACx4, 5-14-13 Taxolx4
7-17-13 BMX ypT1N2M0(.9mm) 4/24 nodes.
10-8-13 completed Rads x 30
12-3-13 completed Eribulin Trial
10-18-13, 3-19-14 Bone/Ct Scan Clear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic