FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A few questions , nerve pain and medport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few questions , nerve pain and medport
    Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 1:11am
I am on my 7th chemo this week out of 8. For the past 4 days I"v had shooting pain occasionally on Taxol. Then it started with what felt like lightning bolts on my ankles walking down the steps occasionally of my th which is 4 stories. Very tiring.  They thought it might be  blood clot last time. I have my pre chemo work up tomorrow. 

Also, second part. I am so tired of this med port do they remove that at surgery? I am tummy sleeper and its always been hard for me to get to sleep and they wont get me any sleeping meds.
Diagnosed 4/29
Lymph nodes clear on MRI on 5/20
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
final mri- no lymph 4mm or less residual
Lump right side on 10/16
7 nodes taken - all clear - clean margins

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 8:45am
Tracy,

Here's a link on Taxol that lists the possible side effects.  Are you getting the Neulasta shot?  Sometimes that can cause bone pain/shooting pain like symptoms.  The good news is you're almost done with chemo!

What type of surgery are you having?  Many women have their ports removed during surgery.  Others may be told to keep them if they think they'll need further treatment after surgery.  I was a stomach sleeper and found it impossible to sleep on my stomach with tissue expanders and then my silicone implants.  When I had the port, it was very uncomfortable even when I'd roll to a certain side.  I miss sleeping on my stomach.  I'm surprised they won't give you anything to help you sleep.  Have you talked to them about a sleeping aide or something like Ativan?

Hope these last two treatments go by quickly and you can rest some before your surgery.

Donna

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:46am
I would blame the Nuelasta injection, I had horendously deep bone pain.
Although some doctors prefer to keep it in for a few to 5 years, I convinced my sugeon to take it out during my surgery.
Natalie
TNBC stage1 size 1.8, grade3 no nodes 4/11 Lumpectomy 5/11 4cycles DD A/C 4cycles DD Taxol. Double Mastectomy 12/11 BRCA all neg
Kerin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kerin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2013 at 10:04pm
My oncologist recommended I keep my port for 2 years. In her experience, TNBC tends to recur during this time period. I have a friend with same kind of cancer and she had her's removed. Having it put in was pretty painful for me. It's totally up to you about whether to get it removed after chemo. I'd talk with your oncologist. At the 2 yer mark, I'll celebrate NED and get it removed, hopefully.
Dx @48, 1.6 cm, negative nodes, lumpectomy, AC/T, radiation. BRCA neg, variant in Rad 51C gene.
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 11:26pm
My dr said I can have it removed immediately. I am a stomach sleeper and its always causing me harder to sleep.  I never anticipate of having it put back it but if ever need be I will. Thanks for advice everyone. I really appreciate it. I guess they will remove it surgery time

Edited by tracyinva - Sep 01 2013 at 11:26pm
Diagnosed 4/29
Lymph nodes clear on MRI on 5/20
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
final mri- no lymph 4mm or less residual
Lump right side on 10/16
7 nodes taken - all clear - clean margins

katiedidit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katiedidit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2013 at 4:44pm
I am scheduled for left breast mastectomy on Sept 13 and discussed getting my port removed at that time with the surgeon's nurse and my chemo oncologist.  The port will be removed with my breast. 
The day the port was installed, I asked that it be installed on my left side since that was the side to be removed, and it was already bruised and scarred from my lumpectomy anyhow.  I figured I'd prefer to leave my right side unscarred.  But no one had asked me or said where it would go.  Interestingly, they had planned to put it in on the right side since I understand that it is slightly anatomically easier, consequently easier for the med staff.  But they complied with my wishes, after checking with my onc team, and put it on the left side.  I am glad I pushed the issue.  We do have to look out for ourselves.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic