FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lymph Node Recurrence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Candyqueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candyqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lymph Node Recurrence
    Posted: Jul 22 2013 at 9:17pm
Hi to all!  New to this site.  I was originally dx as stage III in  June of 2012.  Had a very large tumor with lymph node involvement.  Did a clinical trial for six months (rocked it and did not get sick at all!) had Bilateral Double mastectomy with no reconstruction followed by 30 rounds of radiation.  Just had  PET scan 3monts after and only one node lit up.  Had a biopsy and found it to have cancer cells.  It is between the pectoralis major and minor muscles.  Dr doesnt think a recurrence but feels the node was resistent t the chemo and rads.  Has anyone else had this happen and what were your tx options.  Very scared and I thought I had this beat and I have two precious little girls adopted from China!  Need to hear from others who have been through this.  Thanks!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2013 at 11:06pm
Candyqueen,

So sorry to hear about the recurrence.  I had a recurrence to an internal mammary node about 13 months after finishing chemo.  My onc felt that those cells were probably there at diagnosis but undetectable by the MRI before my bi-mx.  The chemo didn't work on those cells and they continued to grow.  My only option was to try a different chemo (clinical trial) and radiation.  After 2 rounds of chemo, the IM node showed no evidence of disease.  We continued with 2 more cycles then radiation.  
Are they recommending more chemo?  Ask if there are any clinical trials that might be an option for you?  

Donna

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candyqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 11:27am
Thanks so much for that encouraging news!  My doctor is presenting my case today at the tumor board meeting and I will know more tx options then.  Good news is that blood tests were normal and PET scan showed no activity anywhere else in body.  Will post when I get the information back from doctor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candyqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 6:45pm
My doctor just called me....what a God moment! At the tumor board, a thoracic surgeon happened to join in and when the breast surgeons said there was no way to remove the lymph node, the thoracic surgeon spoke up and said he could do it easily!!!!  So will meet with him Friday.  Also to have more chemo....these drugs are Carboplatin and Gemcitavine.   any suggestions for when I take these?  Very hopeful now.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 6:55pm
That's great news that the surgeon can remove the node.  My internal mammary node could not easily be removed without serious surgery and no one recommended the procedure.

I had Carboplatin/Gemcitabine (Gemzar) and a clinical drug called Iniparib.  The dosing may be different for you, but due to the clinical trial I had it 2 weeks on, 1 week off.  It was very tolerable and I didn't lose my hair.  The biggest complaint was fatigue, lower blood counts and increased liver enzymes.  I was able to work through treatment.

So glad you got good news today.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candyqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 7:20pm
Thanks Donna!  Fatigue will be ok to handle since I always have it with my two active 8 and 6 yr old girls! LOl .  I am glad you had such good results with those drugs.  Not so scared now.  I just want to be an inspiration to others just as you are!
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 9:08pm
Dear Candyqueen,

I am so glad you are getting reassuring reports from the surgeon and the oncologist.  Night is turning into Day!   You will be an inspiration to Many, here on this site.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic