FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toenail fungus after chemo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by 123Donna 123Donna wrote:

Mindy,

I tried every natural and over the counter therapy over the years after treatment ended, then finally asked my dermatologist.  She prescribed Jublia for me.  I applied it every night for about 10 months (can't remember exactly how long).  It worked great.  I still have a little raised area at the tip of my big toes, but all the dark areas are gone and the nails look pretty normal again.  It's worth a try if all the other remedies failed, which they did for me.

Donna

Oh WOW!  Thanks Donna.  I'll get in touch with my derm!

I don't know what I would've done without you when I first joined this forum, and your helpful posts continue to provide much great information and support.

Thanks beautiful lady...

Your friend
Mindy
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Grew to Stage IIa- No ev of node involve- BRCA1+ chondroid metaplasia
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2017 at 11:10pm
Mindy,

So good to see you are doing well my friend.  Hope it works for you.  You brush it on the affected nail every night.  It looks like clear nail polish.  

Hugs,
Donna  
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

stella114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stella114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2017 at 2:22am

It is quite possible that you may get toenail fungus after you go through chemotherapy. This is very strong treatment especially done to treat cancer patients. This treatment affects your body and health a lot. So, if you have gone through chemo and now suffering from toenail fungus issue then it is better if you try some natural treatments or home remedies. But, you can also try some ayurvedic treatment as well that can help you treat toenail fungus infection. You can know some ayurvedic treatments to treat toenail fungus and get rid of this issue forever. 

silvesta001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvesta001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 5:20am

It is quite possible that you may have toenail fungus after you go through chemotherapy. But, do not worry because you can easily cure toenail fungus infection with the help of some natural home remedies and non-surgical treatments. 

mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2018 at 5:22pm

Originally posted by 123Donna 123Donna wrote:

Mindy,

I tried every natural and over the counter therapy over the years after treatment ended, then finally asked my dermatologist.  She prescribed Jublia for me.  I applied it every night for about 10 months (can't remember exactly how long).  It worked great.  I still have a little raised area at the tip of my big toes, but all the dark areas are gone and the nails look pretty normal again.  It's worth a try if all the other remedies failed, which they did for me.

Donna

Donna,

Like you in the beginning, I started with a very good (well pricey) Tea Tree Oil.  I let it soak in and then sealed it with Mentholatum- Vick's.

This winter has been so cold, everything dries out and it's constant maintenance of skin, feet, hands- all nails, even hair dries out some.

Finally the upper 2/3rds of the tip of my big right toenail loosened up enough to fall off in my sock.  Yeah, I know. *gag*

Since my old derm retired, and I didn't make the effort to find a new one,  I kept trying this my way- it's only my right big toe.  My nails on my hands are nice as long as they are kept moisturized, and they never developed, or haven't developed fungus like my one big infected toe.

I think it's time to find a derm, and will ask about Jubila.  I even did several Tea Tree soaks, but this brutal winter made it hard to keep up with the dryness.  Now I have a missing toe nail- at least the 2/3rds from the tip down.  Underneath is some darkness which I'm able to scrape off - which was a relief.  It's not painful at all like it was in the beginning.

Sorry to be so long and graphic.  I'm not sure this is very helpful to anyone but me, just to unload.  LOL.

Thanks once again for the name of a topical that actually worked for you. And very glad you're on the mend.

xxx Mindy

edited to clarify the nail, not the toe fell off.  TongueWink  Something any rational, sane person would've easily caught.

Edited by mindy555 - Jan 21 2018 at 5:46pm
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
snugltz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2018 at 3:20pm
I tried Jublia. My doc said it only works for some. Its terribly expensive unless you get it at walgreens with their special if its still available. And get the 6 oz not the 3. will last longer. BUT did not work for me very well. I'm trying the vicks and toe fungus cream. See how that goes. I, too, only got it on one foot
1 cm, 0/2 neg nodes, lumpectomy 6/16/10, cytoxin/taxotere 4x every three weeks, rad start 11/8 33X
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2018 at 7:55pm
My wife had the fungus under her big toe,after chemo,   the chemo nurse recommended Vicks Vaporub, my wife put that repeatedly on the nail-base, where the nail starts, it kills the fungus as the toenail grows, just keep applying it, the new toenail will grow without the fungus.
It takes about 4-6 weeks
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2018 at 8:11pm
Thanks, Gordon!!!!

BTW, I beg to differ Mainsail.  Many people with strong immune systems have nail fungus. It is not, I repeat, is not an immune system disorder.

Talk to my doctor.  You've helped me more than you know, but I will beg to differ on this point.
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic