FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Loss and Weird Rash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
puakai View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puakai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Loss and Weird Rash
    Posted: Jun 18 2013 at 8:39pm
Hello!  I am exactly 2 weeks out from my first treatment and I started losing my hair 2 days ago.  It's coming out in droves!  My hair is everywhere!  I have really thick hair so it is not so obvious yet.  I'm wondering, how long do I have left before I have to shave my head.  I have 2 job interviews this week, and really don't want to buy wig, because I know I'll never wear it. Just too hot and itchy.  Just hoping I can keep my hair for my interviews.  How long was everyone able to keep their hair?

Also, I have really sensitive skin, and my arms are starting to look sunburned and I am getting rash like red spots everywhere on my forearms.  They kinds look like red/pink skin after a scab falls off.  Anyone ever had this happen?  Should I be worried?
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2013 at 8:49pm
Puakai, 

It's really up to you with the hair. I didn't lose mine at all on Taxol but i did on A/C. When you are ready maybe just do it really short so it's not annoying getting hair everywhere...you don't have to shave it off. I could tell mine was really going to come out when my scalp started itching, and hurting. 

I would check with your doctor about the rash on your arms. Are you wearing sunscreen? I was told to be careful out in the sun while on chemo. 

Best of luck to you, 

Blair
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
puakai View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puakai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2013 at 9:17pm
Already going through itch scalp now.  It's driving me nuts.  Haven't been out in the sun, so rash cant be from sun exposure. . .
Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2013 at 9:21pm
Puakai,
As cheeks said I would suggest you give the doc a call about the rash. I did not have that. I had the burning sensitive skin in may palms and the bottoms of my feet. 

My hair before chemo was thin & fine, I lost all of my hair just about by the 3rd treatment. I opted for the short short cut at first but then one day while in the shower I felt the wet hair in my hand as I shampood. I just took the buzzer & went to #1 myself. I was ready, I felt it hurst & saddened me more to see it all over my pillow and my hands. 
I didn't go for a wig either, I opted for bandanas. My sister made it her goal to get me every print & color she found. It was really quite sweet. I saw women in the treatment room that had a wig & sometimes they were not straight. At times I felt like saying "here let me fix this for you", sometimes I did & other times I didn't. At the times I did, I have to say it was bitter sweet. One lady in particular just grabbed my hand and looked up and said thank you with obvious tears in her eyes. This stuff just kind of strips you of all of the trappings of vanity.
I personally found it liberating. I got to the point that i even walked around my yard bald. I just felt this is my home & yard. In my space if I was comfortable then all was good.
Keep those interview appointments no matter what. Whether you ultimately choose a wig or go with scarves & bandanas all will be fine. If your prospective employers realize anything at all about what is going on then they will have no choice but to admire the warrior looking at them. If not, well then that is not your loss it is theres.
Sorry long winded here. Good luck on the interviews.
Natalie
TNBC stage1 size 1.8, grade3 no nodes 4/11 Lumpectomy 5/11 4cycles DD A/C 4cycles DD Taxol. Double Mastectomy 12/11 BRCA all neg
puakai View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puakai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 12:05pm
Thanks guys!  I did shave my head yesterday.  Not as bad as I thought.  I just couldn't stand my hair being everywhere anymore.  I'm still a little self conscious going out in public but I'm sure I'll get used to it.  What choice do I have?  Going to call my doctor today, now I am having some eye irritations as well.  

Not looking forward to my 2nd chemo treatment next week.  Heard side effects can get cumulatively worse. . .We will get through this, right?
Allison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 2:19pm
Puakai,

You will get through this! It's not a walk in the park - but we all know where you are coming from. Just remember to take one day at a time and focus on what your body needs. Remember, we are all here all the time to listen, help, support, cry, laugh, whatever you need. I always feel that whatever i'm going through big or small even today I know that I can always come here and get the support that I need.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you begin this journey.

Allison

PS - On an inspirational note - still NED for 5 years now!!!
9/07 IDC, trip neg, BRAC-, Lumpectomy with SNB (all clear) 10/07, FEC & Taxatere 11/07 - 2/08, 32 rads, 3/08 - 5/08.
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 8:23pm
Puakai,

Could the eye irritation be that you're getting ready to lose your lashes? Glad the haircut went okay...I was in south Florida during chemo and just went without anything due to the heat...it does take some adjustment.
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2013 at 9:40pm
I just got done my second chemo. I am 2 days out and my scalp feels like it bruised and I am now noticing some strands falling out. My face was flushed all day yesterday. Im a bit better now. Every other part of my body is slowly coming out.  My lashes are thin already.
Diagnosed 4/29
Lymph nodes clear on MRI on 5/20
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
final mri- no lymph 4mm or less residual
Lump right side on 10/16
7 nodes taken - all clear - clean margins

karishma17836 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karishma17836 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2015 at 2:54am
Hair loss is a common problem nowadays. As hair is regarded as an asset that enhances one's physical appearance, balding or thinning hair is a problem that many want to correct as soon as possible. Some of the common factors contributing to thinning hair are excessive physical or emotional stress,hormonal imbalances , nutritional deficiencies, pollution, allergies , use of wrong hair care products, poor hair care routine and heredity. If you have Hair Loss problem , there you have need to spend money on expensive treatments and products. Many other natural remedies can also helps you  get thicker hairs and solve itchy scalp problem. Like have lots of proteins and vitamins, Eggs, olive oil, Avocado, Fenugreek seeds, Indian Gooseberry and Castor oil.

Edited by karishma17836 - Jan 22 2015 at 2:55am
Meadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2017 at 9:26pm
I gave up on my wife after 5 minutes; it was so itchy and stifling. Instead I wore scarves and buff headwear. I recommend wearing a quilted or terrycloth "scarf pad" underneath your head covering. Scarf pads add height and volume for a more proportional/natural look. You can buy scarf pads on Amazon.com and buffs at buffwear.com. There are some great scarf-tying tutorials on youtube.com.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic