FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Hair Loss?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Laurie1067 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie1067 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Hair Loss?
    Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 8:53am
Hi All,

I started my AC chemo on May 15th.  Everyone that I have spoken to (survivors & my chemo nurse) all told me that my hair would start falling out in clumps a few days after my second treatment, so I went ahead and had all of my hair shaved off about a week before round 2.  Here I am 10 days after my second treatment, and not only has my hair not fallen out, but it is growing back.  I look like G. I. Jane with stubble all over my head.  I did lose some hair "south of the border" starting about 2 days after my treatment, but that was it.  Do some people not lose their hair? 

Thanks,
Laurie
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 11:42am
Laurie, 

Love your name...it was my maiden name. I had Taxol first and did not lose my hair at all although everyone said i would. I did start losing it sometime after my 2nd A/C. Usually, your scalp and follicles will start bothering you when it's going to start coming out but i was never totally bald. I did lose it all everywhere else. 

I'll be interested to see other people's responses. 

Blair

Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
JulieKCA2013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JulieKCA2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 12:48pm
I didn't loose all mine either.  It hurt so bad I shaved it.  I lost half on the top of my head and only some on the sides.  After I shaved it I had stubble too that grew back. I shaved it again because I looked like a balding man with the way the hair fell out.  I never truly lost it all, just enough to warrant the shave.
Dx 3-7-13 TNBC, 5cm pT2N1M0
3-19-13 ACx4, 5-14-13 Taxolx4
7-17-13 BMX ypT1N2M0(.9mm) 4/24 nodes.
10-8-13 completed Rads x 30
12-3-13 completed Eribulin Trial
10-18-13, 3-19-14 Bone/Ct Scan Clear
argynnis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote argynnis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 4:26pm
I had 3 AC treatments so far and lost about 90% after the first one - I cut it very short when that was happening. The other 10% are still hanging on. My leg and arm hair did also not fall out so far (pubic and armpit hair did).

Edited by argynnis - Jun 09 2013 at 4:28pm
TNBC, IDC 4.5cm, Grade 3, 3/27 lymph nodes - Stage 2B
Mastectomy (right)
4xDD AC + 4 T

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie1067 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 7:35pm
Thanks for the responses.  It is kind of weird waiting for my hair to start falling out.  I have 2 more AC treatments to go, then 4 Taxol after that.  I am having chemo every other week.  After that, we'll see if my larger tumor has shrunk enough for a lumpectomy or if I am going to do a lateral mastectomy.  (it was about 3.5 cm--the other tumor is about 1cm)  Then radiation after that.  I am taking it one step at a time and going on faith. Smile
annafriday View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote annafriday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 12:50am
Hi Laurie,

I had my second AC last monday and I still have more of my hair than I expected.  I have some bald spots on the sides of my head and back but have about 75% still there. I shaved it about two weeks ago just because the hair loss I was having got to be messy.  Im happy about less under arm and leg hair but hope to keep my eyebrows and eyelashes.  How are your white blood cells holding up?
DX:3/20/13 right breast multifocal stage 3a TNBC. Bilateral Mastectomy 4-18-13 largest tumor 6.2cm. 1 microscopic sentinal node positive. KI-67 77%. ACx4..doing Taxol now x12 weekly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie1067 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 5:34am
Hi Anna,

My white count was good when they checked before round 2 thanks to Neulasta, but my hemoglobin had dropped from 14 something to 11 something.  They said they will watch me carefully & that I may end up needing a transfusion before we're all done.
weekender09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote weekender09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 12:47pm
Laurie:

My Hemoglobin went as low as 9.3 and I did not need any transfusions so I wish you the best.  Eat extra iron if you can tolerate it.  Don't take iron unless they give it to you but natural sources won't hurt.  I even had to have a round 3 days early because of the memorial holiday and so I had liver and onions LOL and my counts were good.  

As for hair loss - my experience for eyebrows and eyelashes is that they continued to get thinner. I finished chemo Friday and have a few whispy eyelashes that don't seem to even come apparent with mascara.  Hoping they grow back. :)  Eyebrows have thinned considerably as well.  But I know it is all worth it to live.  

Good Luck through this 16 weeks. 
Barb
02/12/13 DX TNBC, Grade III, Stage 3, 3.3cm tumor, IMN and 1 lymph Positive, Chemo A/C T complete 6/13
BRCA1-/BRCA2+ Variance, BIL 7/13, 33 RADS complete 10/13 Remssion :)
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 7:26pm

Laurie:

I had the same treatment regimen you are getting.  I had my hair cut very, very, very short the week before my second treatment.   It was a good week after my second treatment that mine began to fall out; and like you, mine had begun to grow before it fell out.  At the end of all my treatments I had a few single strands, here and there, but even they fell out after treatment ended.  Also my eyebrows and eye lashes did not fall out totally until I had finished treatment.  It sound like there is no 'one size fits all' with the hair loss. 

Good Luck and God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
andyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2014 at 1:32am
Originally posted by cheeks cheeks wrote:

Laurie, 

Love your name...it was my maiden name. I had Taxol first and did not lose my hair at all although everyone said i would. I did start losing it sometime after my 2nd A/C. Usually, your scalp and follicles will start bothering you when it's going to start coming out but i was never totally bald. I did lose it all everywhere else. 

I'll be interested to see other people's responses. 

Blair

The concept of ACT therapy of cancer  and hair loss is define below
A= Doxorubicin Hydrochloride (Adriamycin) – It start with hair shedding and thinning but eventually complete baldness.
C= Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan) – In this not the complete baldness or hair loss just hair thinning.
T= Taxol (paclitaxel) – Our hair fall start suddenly.

Sharon E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2014 at 9:10am
Just started Carbo/Gemzar three weeks ago.  Cut my hair short as I thought I would lose it. Then docs told me I might not.  Don't know if I am being paranoid but my scalp seems to be hurting this week.  Hope I don't lose it....not because of fashion...I can get past that.  I have a younger sister with Down's who already has some anxiety issues.  I don't want to have to tell her my cancer is back.  How long after first treatment of Carbo/Gemzar will it start falling out if I am going to lose it?
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2014 at 10:39am
Sharon E,

I did not lose my hair with Carbo/Gemzar.  They told me it probably would and was prepared for it, but never did.  It did thin a little during treatment.  

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Sharon E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2014 at 10:52am
Here is hoping for the same:)
littleradish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littleradish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2014 at 1:35pm
I had cisplatin(similar to carbo)/ gemzar and I did not lose my hair. My doctor told me I would not lose it and I didn't. I was glad because it had just returned after TC.
Diagnosed March 2013, TC chemo from April-July 4 rounds. Double mastectomy Aug of 2013 clear margins and no lymph nodes involved. 4 rounds of gemzar and cisplatin September to October
Sharon E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2014 at 6:42pm
That is good news, Littleradish.  If I had my first treatment four weeks ago, are I past the time when I would lose my hair if I was going to lose it?
karishma17836 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karishma17836 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2015 at 5:02am
Hair Loss is a common problem during and after Chemo-therapy. It is used in cancer to reduce this problem but this therapy can causes skin and hair problem. So don't need to worry because it is a temporary problem . If it not happen then consult a good dermatologist as soon as possible. 
nancykind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nancykind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2015 at 8:48pm
i started losing my hair after my first a/c treatment, but kept growing a mohawk!   once i started taxol everything that was left went quickly.   my hair started to regrow about 7 or 8 weeks after chemo ended. 
Lg lump never visible on any films but found 9mm. Lump 1/25/12, DX 1/31@50yrs IIIC/TN/DCIS/INV, Margins Unclr, Ki67 40%,Gr2. MX L 2/24. 3.1cm total. 11/17nodes. AC/T 2xWk,33rads. 12/12 MX R. 9/13 NED!
lilyrose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilyrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2015 at 9:28pm
It seems that the hair loss/hair re-growth issue is a bit different for all of us. I lost about 95% of my hair two weeks after my first dose of A/C. Within weeks, I lost all of the hair on my body! I am now four months post chemo and happy to report that the hair on my head is finally coming in fairly thick. However my body hair is just starting to return, but happily no underarm hair yet! :). Eyelashes are back but eyebrows are very sparse. :(
I hope you are all doing well, lilyrose
DX 2/14, age 60, IDC TNBC BRCA- Stage 1,Grade 3, lumpectomy 3/14, 2cm, 0/4 nodes, clear margins

4/14, A/C DD 4rounds
6/14 Taxol weekly x 12
9/25 Rads 26 + 8 boosts
cindy52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindy52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2015 at 10:41pm
I had my hair cut very short just before my 2nd AC treatment. It was shedding, then a week after there seemed to be so much hair on my pillow, I couldn't stand it! so I shaved it. but it's still not completely falling out; I have this rough stubble that feels awful!  I'm going for the close shave tomorrow.
Dx IDC 02/15,Stage 1b, Class 3, tumor 1.2 cm, nodes 0/1. lumpectomy 2-24-15. DDAC- 4 cycles; taxol weekly x 12. Planned radiation after chemo.
Sharon E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2015 at 7:18am
That is what I did too.  It helps to be in control of your hair, so shaving it close will feel good.  
3/12 Stg2b TNBC, IDC, Grade 3, age 49, 3 nodes, BRCA-,4/12-8/12 AC/T, 9/12 MBX no rads
10/14 Recur chest, BM, biopsy removed tumors, Gem/Carb 4,1/15, NED 1/15, Rads, 7/15 BM, Gem/Carb 4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic