FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

chemo brain - Event Date: May 21 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: chemo brain
    Posted: May 22 2013 at 1:14am
And there are many of us that were thrown into menopause, so add hormonal changes into the mix. Depression can manifest with negativity, defensiveness and arguementativeness as well. From all studies I have read there is still not a tremendous amount known about chemo brain. It's affects definitely last longer than treatment
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
arabella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by krisa krisa wrote:

Chemo brain? post traumatic stress? We have been changed by our cancer diagnosis and treatment. We are different. Anger is certainly understandable. Hope you have someone that you can talk with..so important in recovery.
Take care.

I think krisa hit the nail on the head.  I read an article very recently in a mag and I can't recall which one (nothing new at all about my not being able to remember), but it was doctors who were reporting on a study they did and they said that "chemo brain" was real, but that it should properly be called "cancer brain" because people who have had cancer, but no chemo, suffered with the same effects.   

Dx TNBC 1/2013; age 63; 1.1 cm; Stage 1, Grade 1(?); lumpectomy clear margins; ALND -; severe SEs to first TC and treatment stopped; radsX25; BRCA -
Recur 6/2015 Mastectomy
MLindaG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLindaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 11:29pm
I don't know about chemo brain but I am so much more emotional than before.  Sad things make me ball my eyes out!!  The recent tornado's in OK..........I just cried and cried for all those families.......I wonder if I just need to get out emotions that I have kept under wraps and this gives me a reason to let out all the pent up sadness that I have..........I sort of feel like my emotions are right on the edge and at any moment I could totally lose it!!! It doesn't take much for me to have a good cry! LOL  I do blame a lot on chemo brain........sort of a nice excuse! LOL 
Dx TNBC 6/12; age 59; Stage 3, Grade 3; 3.5 cm, 3/10 nodes + chest wall nodes; A/C x4, T x 12 completed 12/12 with PCR, 2/13/13 lump; IMRT Rads x 33 completed 5/22/13 BRCA 1 negative.
hummingbird10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hummingbird10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 9:21pm
Thanks, Krisa, I know I feel different---that's for sure!  It seems, though, that I am
"snappy" at times, especially around those whom I view as saying unkind things to me.  I am lucky to have a great husband,
however, who has been with me every step of the way. 
I never thought of the connection between post traumatic stress and chemo brain.
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 9:15pm
Chemo brain? post traumatic stress? We have been changed by our cancer diagnosis and treatment. We are different. Anger is certainly understandable. Hope you have someone that you can talk with..so important in recovery.
Take care.
hummingbird10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hummingbird10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 2:35pm
As a survivor I would like to know if chemo brain continues
after all treatment has ended.  Can it cause a person to
be argumentative and wanting to be defensive about things
that didn't bother them before the cancer diagnosis.
Needing to know why I'm acting "different" these days.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Thanks,
Hummingbird10
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic