FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newly diagnosed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
dawncoskren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawncoskren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newly diagnosed
    Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 11:26pm
Thank you judy. I agree. I will check. I thought I would get 4 and 4 also. I wonder if I misunderstood.

What is the secret of keeping track of what everyone is going through. You are so good at remembering where everyone is in their treatment. I. Always impressed.

Wishing you the best. Sending hugs
DX 6/14/13 TNBC-IDC
7/15 BRCA 1 Positive
7/16 double mastectomy
7/23 Post surgery Pathology- Stage1,tumor 2cm nodes clr.
8/16/13 4 A/c and 4 Taxol
1/6/14 implants
3/13/14 ovaries and tubes removed
Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 10:58pm
Dawn,

Wondering if the onc meant a total of 8 chemos ( ACx4 and then Taxol x4).
Usually there is a nurse working with each onc.
Maybe consider calling the onc or onc's nurse just to clarify the total number of chemo sessions
   versus the number each of AC and number of taxol.................
Think this question is a reasonable one to clarify now.

With caring and positive thoughts,
Grateful for today..............Judy

----------------------

Rocklady,

Think you started your TC x6 around June 27.
So thinking you have 2 TC down and 4 to go. Hoping any side effects have been manageable with
   tweaking of your post chemo meds.
Just wanted to send some caring and positive thoughts to you.

Grateful for today............Judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawncoskren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 11:35am
I was hoping someone could help me understand treatment a little more.

I saw a dr. on 7/24 they said my treatment would be 8 A/C and 4 Toxol. They made it sound very standard so I have decided to get treated closer to home . Still a Dana Farber Doc but a general oncology rather than one that deals with just breasts.

After a little research it seems it isn't as standard as I thought. Of course I will ask the doc on 8/13 which is my appt in NH. I was just wondering on the thoughts of all these wonderful and knowable people I have spoke with on this site.

Thanks for any info :)
DX 6/14/13 TNBC-IDC
7/15 BRCA 1 Positive
7/16 double mastectomy
7/23 Post surgery Pathology- Stage1,tumor 2cm nodes clr.
8/16/13 4 A/c and 4 Taxol
1/6/14 implants
3/13/14 ovaries and tubes removed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 8:14pm
Gail,

Just noticed on the Forum Home page, that today is your Birthday.

Sending the Best of Birthday Wishes for health and all good things.

Grateful for today...................Judy

---------------------------------------------

Lauralind,

Hope you are doing "OK" on the taxol.
You may have already seen the thread on Taxol treatment...if not, here's the link:
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/taxol-treatment_topic11073_page1.html

Sorry to have read your need to get a new surgeon due to the sudden and unexpected death of the
breast surgeon you had chosen. Life is precious.    Hoping with Dr. Lisa Carey as your med onc
it might make it easier to get onto another's surgeon's schedule.

With caring and postive thoughts,

Grateful for today.............Judy

---------------------------------------------------

Lisa L,

Realize you are not "newly diagnosed"............in April of this year you posted you are a 7 1/2 survivior.
which was so good to read.
Noticed on the Home Forum page that today is also your Birthday and wanted to leave some Birthday Greetings for you, also.

Wishing you the Best of BIrthday Wishes for health and all good things.
Grateful for today................Judy
GailF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GailF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2013 at 1:49pm
Hi Lauralind,

Sorry to hear you didn't feel well with the AC.  I have been very lucky with the Taxol so far.... and the tumor has shrunk!  My eighth week coming up, then two break before I start AC.

And the news of your surgeon, that is tough.  Where are you located?

One day at a time...

GailF
DX IDC TNBC 5/13 age 52, Stage II, Grade 3, 3.5cm, Taxol x4 6/3/13, A/C x4 8/26/13
Lauralind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lauralind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 3:11pm
Hi Gail, 

Sorry its taken me so long to respond. Man oh Man I was sooo sick with AC it was a very hard road for me. I just had my first dose of Taxol a week ago and while I have some not so fun issues, so far its better than AC.  

In the meantime, the breast surgeon I picked and LOVED died suddenly and unexpectantly.  Was very sad, so now Im back to figuring out who I want and how the schedule will fit etc. 

Hope you are doing well, I ll be better now about showing up here Smile
4/26/13 TNBC left breast 3.0 now 4.0 cm, positive node with multiple axillary inflamed nodes on pet scan. Stage 3 grade 3, genetic negative

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawncoskren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2013 at 10:40am
Gail
I live in NH. My surgeon is at Elliot breast health at rivers edge in manchester nh. I haven't decided on my oncologist yet. I was going to wait to see what stage I was ..

I'm sorry you have this also I know you will do grea and kick its butt.
GailF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GailF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2013 at 12:04am
Hi Laura,

Just reaching out to see how you are feeling. I was diagnosed shortly after you. My first chemo treatment is with the Taxol and was wondering how you are handling the AC.

One day at a time....

Gail
GailF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GailF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2013 at 8:13pm
Hi Dawn,

Yes, I was diagnosed with TNBC last month, stage 2.  The oncologist at The Faulkner told us about the clinical trial.  I am in the trial but I was not chosen to be have the protocol with the MM1 drug.  You can go to the Merrimack Pharmaceuticals website for information.

I just finished my first cycle, 3 weeks of Taxol and continue with three more cycles (12 weeks).  Where are you being treated?

Gail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawncoskren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2013 at 4:40pm
Hi Gail, I'm new to all of this. It sounds like you are Stage 2? I thought they didn't know that until surgery? Where did you go to get offered a trail? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawncoskren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2013 at 4:35pm
Hi Donna, How do you get into a trail like that?
GailF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GailF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 9:45pm

Good evening,

Had another good visit at The Faulkner yesterday for screening tests.  The wonderful nurses had some trouble getting blood and suggested putting in a port.  I had a CT scan, ECHO, and an EKG. 

The research nurse called today to confirm that my oncologist wants the port in so I will have that done next Friday.   My first infusion will be on Monday, 6/3.  I will have another needle core biopsy, and an ultrasound of the lymph nodes and then the first chemo.  

Donna, the research study is a Phase II clinical trial to evaluate a drug called MM-121, an anti-ErbB3 human monoclonal antibody.   The main purpose of this study is to compare the combination of MM-121 plus paclitaxel followed by doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide.  Merrimack Pharmaceuticals is supporting this research study.  

Linda, as I am armed with a definitive attack plan, I feel less anxious.  As I meet the wonderful compassionate people on my team, I feel calmer.

I know that this will be a long road but I look forward to the positive experiences with the medical staff, other patients, their families and all the blessings that come with this crazy experience.  And yes, this site is one of those blessings.

One day at a time...

Gail

MLindaG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLindaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 11:27pm
Gail,
There is something comforting about getting your info explained and talking with the oncologists and having a plan to fight this disease!!  I'm glad the appointment went well and you have a plan in place.  I tried to focus each night on positive affirmations and positive thoughts of my white cells eating up the cancer.  I remember everyone questioning why they wouldn't do surgery first and the explanation of the surgeon made so much logic and as my tumor shrunk (Didn't notice any change until around 9 weeks) and eventually was gone I realized how good it felt to know that the chemo was doing its job.  I think it would also be good to know if it wasn't working so they could pick something else to attack it.  I found the nurses at the Chemo center to be fantastic.......so caring and helpful.  For most of my infusions I had my Sister with me and would help me to keep my mind off of it all.  We always had a magazine we were looking at or a project to discuss. (When you are from a large family there is always something going on!! LOL)  We tried to keep things light.  You'll meet all types of people with all types of cancers.  One day it was a 21 year old with testicular cancer........a 65 year old who was told he has 6 months to live.......  I got advice from both the nurses as well as some of the patients. As you go through the process you start to be the one giving out advice to the newbies! LOL  I met a women who went to the same college as I did at the exact same time and was in my major........we laughed as we probably were in class together!! 40 years ago!   LOL  So many wonderful positive experiences with patients, patients families, volunteers and staff.  It was truly amazing! While I would never wish this on anyone.........there are blessings that come from it.  This site is another one of those blessings!!  Thanks to everyone who posts their experiences and helpful suggestions it is much appreciated. 
Dx TNBC 6/12; age 59; Stage 3, Grade 3; 3.5 cm, 3/10 nodes + chest wall nodes; A/C x4, T x 12 completed 12/12 with PCR, 2/13/13 lump; IMRT Rads x 33 completed 5/22/13 BRCA 1 negative.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 10:49pm
Gail,

Do you know the name of the clinical trial you are joining?  Is this the trial?

Cisplatin and Paclitaxel With or Without Everolimus in Treating Patients With Stage II or Stage III Breast Cancer

RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as cisplatin and paclitaxel, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing. Everolimus may stop the growth of tumor cells by blocking some of the enzymes needed for cell growth and by blocking blood flow to the tumor. Giving chemotherapy together with everolimus before surgery may make the tumor smaller and reduce the amount of normal tissue that needs to be removed. It is not yet known whether cisplatin and paclitaxel are more effective when given together with or without everolimus in treating patients with breast cancer.

PURPOSE: This randomized phase II trial is studying how well cisplatin and paclitaxel work when given together with or without everolimus in treating patients with stage II or stage III breast cancer.

ConditionInterventionPhase
Breast Cancer
Drug: cisplatin
Drug: everolimus
Drug: paclitaxel
Other: placebo
Phase 2
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 9:35pm
Gail,

I'm so glad you had a good visit and they spent so much time answering your questions.  Personally, I think you are doing a wise thing entering the neoadjuvant clinical trial.  With this disease, I believe you need to throw everything at it and hope it destroys the beast.  The time between diagnosis and the beginning of treatment is the worst.  Once you have a plan in place, it's easier to move forward fighting this cancer.  It's the waiting around and unknowing that's the hardest part.  Wishing you the best.  Keep us posted.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

GailF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GailF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 9:11pm
Hi all,

Thank you for your comforting words of support.

Just got back from my day in Boston at Dana Farber.  First, they had to rule out a very small cyst on the other breast with an ultrasound and it was determined to be benign Smile.  Met with the oncologist and sat and talked (with my sister taking notes) for almost two hours and she answered all our questions and gave me lots of information.  I love it when they draw diagrams because I retain information better when it is visual.  I do have a copy of my pathology report.
The oncologist and surgeon recommend the chemo prior to surgery.  It was very important for me to find out any options for clinical trials and it turns out that there is one that I would be a great candidate.  The research nurse came in and joined our group to discuss the particulars on this trial, which will involve two additional biopsies.  The biopsies are not a concern for me.  

I have the protocol information and consent forms to start the trial and will go forward and sign them. I will be scheduled this week for the screening tests this week and start the first chemo infusion next Tuesday, once a week for 12 weeks, then a different chemo for 8 weeks, once every other week.

I am just so relieved to have a plan in place for this first step.  I am very happy with my oncologist and also the wonderful research nurse.  The facility is comfortable with such lovely competent people.  I know that I am in good hands.  

Today was a good day.

One day at a time....

Gail

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 8:50pm
Hello Gail,
Just wanted to welcome you to the site.  You have received so much good information from some of the sisters, so I will not add to the list.
Just know that we are here for you and for each other.  As you said, it is great to have a Support Group who have experienced, or are experiencing what you are going through now.  WE UNDERSTAND.  I am glad to hear that you have a good support system with you in MA. 

I look forward to future posts from you and God Bless your journey.

Love,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
GailF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GailF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 8:26pm
Judy,  

Thank you for all that great information.  I have my list of questions to discuss at the appointment with the oncologist tomorrow.  I'll post my findings after my appointment.

One day at a time...

Gail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 6:55pm
Gail,

Glad you found this website. You will find many caring and knowledgeable women and men here.

You are already ahead on this challenging journey.......being able to say "Day at a time" when just
diagnosed shows your strength and ability to deal with this diagnosis.   Be assured most (if not all)
are overwhelmed and anxious when first diagnosed.

Yes, the thread on choosing your treatment team/questions to ask has lots of great information.
You will have many questions on your list to ask your physician.
You might like to consider including the following with your questions:
      - What are the pros and cons of chemo first?
      - What are the pros and cons of surgery first?
      - What are the pros and cons of each chemo option?
      - What are the pros and cons of each surgery option?
      - Confirm/request a referral to a Certified Genetics Counselor for a BRCA* test consult.
      - Confirm that a Vit D3 ** test has been done.
               (At some centers, one might be told, a VIt D3 test is not necessary.
               Consider stating that you are aware that some TNBC have low VIt D3 at diagnosis and
                   you would want a plan to increase your level if you should be low.)
      - How do I contact you for any questions after my appointments?
      - How much time do I have to make my decision?

*On BRCA testing:
   http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/very-important-news-re-tnbc-brca-testing_topic8458_page1.html?KW=BRCA
**On Vitamin D3:     See especially page 26
   http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/vitamin-d3_topic5338_page26.html

Another thread has some good videos from Sloan-Kettering on support for newly diagnosed:
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/support-for-newly-diagnosedvideos_topic9641.html

With caring and positive thoughts,
Grateful for today.............Judy
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 10:21pm
Dear Gail,

just wanted to welcome you and let you know we are here for you.

Dana Farber is an excellent place for treatment.

Dana Farber is normally very good about it but if you are < 60 please please make sure you are tested for the BRCA mutation.

good luck to you!!!

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic