FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone refuse radiation after lumpectomy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
MLindaG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLindaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 12:38pm
FATS So glad your Mom decided to do the RADS.  I am on my last week! 5 treatments to go!!  It has been much easier than I thought it would be........I only had to get blood work once during the 6 weeks of treatment and since I still have my port - it was no big deal.  I do see the onc every Monday and he checks my skin.  I have very fair - pinky kind of skin and I burn in the sun in 15 min.!  I was very worried about this and really have done well.  I did use the cream they gave me three times a day.  I had some red streaks after 4 weeks in my neck area (they are doing my lymph up by my neck) but it has only blistered yesterday and since I'm into the boosts the last week it is not going to stop my progression.  I know all the nurses are surprised I have not have more skin issues.  I too am fairly red underneath my bra area.  I just kept it dry with cornstarch and its done fairly well considering.  Don't get me wrong.......I am dark red just no open blistered skin! (except the one small area near my neck.)  I finished my Chemo 12/20/12, Operation was 2/13/13, Started Rads 3/25/13. Good luck to your Mom. 
Dx TNBC 6/12; age 59; Stage 3, Grade 3; 3.5 cm, 3/10 nodes + chest wall nodes; A/C x4, T x 12 completed 12/12 with PCR, 2/13/13 lump; IMRT Rads x 33 completed 5/22/13 BRCA 1 negative.
Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 3:25pm
Fats1976,

Joining those who are glad to hear your Mom will have radiation therapy.
Just a thought........do check with the radiation oncologist on the "optimal" time within which
to start radiation. Realize it took a lot for your Mom to agree to radiation.   At the same time,
in order to get the maximum benefit of the radiation, one would want to try to start within the
optimal time recommended. This optimal time within which to start can be obtained from the
radiation oncologist who knows all the particulars of your Mom's situation.
Where I had my radiation, I did not have any blood tests. (Depending on the type of cancer one is
receiving radiation for, the need for blood tests during radiation can vary. Also, different centers
may have different protocols for breast cancer radiation re: blood work.)
Prior to the actual radiation treatments, there is a planning/mapping session. Arbella described this
on the above April 26 post.

I had posted some Radiation Tips on a prior thread and will re-post them below in case there is any
thing there that might be helpful for you and your Mom.

Your Mother is very fortunate to have such a caring daughter and advocate. Please remember that
it is very important for the caregiver to take care of the caregiver.   There was a prior thread for
caregivers......you may find find something helpful on that thread:
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/support-infospouse-main-support-person_topic9558_page2.html
(See the first post and Jan 3/13 posts in particular)

Not sure if your Mom's tumor was on the right or left side.
If it was on the LEFT side, be sure to ask about the "special breathing techniques" to decrease
risk of heart/lung side effects from radiation when given on the left chest area.

With caring and positive thoughts to you and your Mom,
Grateful for today.............Judy

CJWatson,

Saw your post on May 9 on another thread and thought I would post here on the radiation related
thread you had posted on.   (It was fine that you posted where you did. Since you had also posted
on this thread, opted to reply here.)

Originally posted by CJWatson CJWatson wrote:

...........Went to see my new radiation oncologist this week and came out of our meeting very optimistic.  I have really lucked-out with this top-notch doctor.  I will be starting rads as soon as they can get rid of the seroma left over from the surgery. 

Thrilled to hear about your "optimistic" meeting and your "top-notch" doctor.
I had posted some Radiation Tips on a prior thread and will re-post them below in case there is any
thing there that might be helpful for you when you start radiation.

With caring and positive thoughts,
Grateful for today...............Judy

RADIATION TIPS.
Pick and choose what sounds helpful.   You know yourself best.
If below is different from instructions from your Radiation Center, follow your Center's/physician
instructions/tips until you can discuss with your physician.

IMPORTANT: If you are to receive radiation on the left side, before you begin the actual radiation
treatments, discuss with the radiation oncologist the "breathing techniques' to help decrease risk
of heart/lung side effects from radiation.

If you will have TATTOO MARKS::
Some center use tattoos for markings for treatments, other places use some kind of non-permanent marker.
This is what I learned from my tattoo markings.
The one that was highest on my chest turned out to be the largest and darkest one.........and can easily be seen with certain clothing. Some of the other tattoo came out smaller and lighter . Usually, none of the tattoos can be seen.
This may not be a matter of concern to you.    If not a concern, just disregard the following about tattoos.
Depending on the radiation treatment plan fields, this matter may not not even be an issue for you.
Apparently, one can have the tattoo marks removed by laser or other methods after treatment.
It seems some radiation oncologists prefer one keeps permanent markings of the radiation field.
Would suggest to anyone having permanent tattoos that include higher chest fields to:
   1. Ask that special attention be paid to the central highest tattoo that might be seen with
        certain clothing.
   2. Later, I spoke with staff and suggested they review their procedures:
            Were some staff able to do smaller tattoos than others.....if yes, what did they do differently?
            Was there more updated equipment to make smaller permanent marks?
                 ( I did not question the necessity of tattoo marks to be correctly positioned and to be seen
                   for the radiation therapy treatment ......just pay attention to size and intensity of color.)
            Did the way the tattoo marker was held effect the size?
            When more then one tattoo made with the same inking.......
                   was the 2nd or 3rd tattoo mark lighter?       

If your center uses any type of SKIN MARKERS:
Until you find out if any of the markings rub off, wear clothes (or men's undershirt under
   your clothes) that if get marked you won't be concerned about.
   If you wear your favorite tops...and get markings on it....may take some scrubbing to get off.
The markers your center uses may not come off on clothes.
Just maybe don't wear your best top 1st few times.

Skin lotions and skin pampering from Day 1.
Instructions for skin care per your radiation team.
Avoid lotions/creams with alcohol in them.
Usually told not to put ANYTHING on skin just before and few hours before treatment.
   (Follow your center's instructions)
The lotions my center recommended were:
     Lubriderm, Eucerin, Aloe Vera lotion and a few others.
     My center did not feel the "special more expensive radiation creams" were any better than
        non-alcohol skin creams.
     Mild soaps..... like Dove, Basis.
I think everyone's skin responds to different creams/soaps........if you have good gentle
     products before you start radiation.....check them out with your radiation team.
Knew someone who is blond, blue eyed who used Aloe vera gel after treatment and repeated
        it a second time daily. She did not even get pink!!!!!!
This is what I used......
     Continued Dove (non-fragrance) soap.......very little soap to radiation area.
     After radiation treatment.......applied Miaderm cream.
     Later in day:   use 1/2 lubriderm mixed with 1/2 aloe vera gel.
              (Some people can develop sensitivities to aloe vera.
               Initially tested aloe vera gel on non-radiation area.
               Decided to dilute aloe vera gel with lubriderm)
    Used the lubriderm/aloe vera gel again.
    Used miaderm at bedtime.
I had only mild pinkness at end of treatments.
Again, as usual everyone is different in their response to treatment.
Skin moisturizing of radiated areas to continue daily/always after treatment is completed.

My radiation team let me put skin cream on in the dressing room AFTER the treatment.
Somehow I liked to put the lotion/cream on right away........and repeated for 3-4 times/day.

When home, lay on the bed with chest exposed to air for about 1/2 hour........
read somewhere this helped. Listen to a guided imagery for a strong immune system or
relaxing, classical type music thinking positive thoughts like: my skin is healthy etc.
If one had a lumpectomy, think it would be even more important for air to get at skin folds.

Bathing......very lukewarm water.
Towel pat dry very gently from day 1.   Tried to never rub or even pat normal.
From Day 1.

Liked a men's cotton T shirt next to my skin. (large size, very loose fit)
On chilly days and when at home, would put a satin pajama top over the T shirt......
the satin felt good on the skin near the chest area.

Continue good Vitamin D levels important during radiation.
Activity/exercise as tolerated.
Healthy diet.
      Adequate protein for cell repair.
      Saw oncology nutritionist at center for diet review and recommendations.

Affirmations.
Positive affirmations getting into bed.    ( Was fortunate......I fall asleep quickly)

If you have any decreased range of motion of your shoulder, consider a few gentle
stretches in the changing room........I actually did a few gentle stretches/movements
in the treatment room walking to the table before I laid down.

I did not have my full range of motion back when I had radiation therapy.
I found it helpful to ask the radiation staff to tell when when the treatment was half
done (even though the total time of treatment is short).
If you can lie in the treatment position without any problem, this may not be necessary.

Needed to get a mind set for why I was doing radiation therapy.
I considered myself cured and healed after chemo and surgery.
Finally, settled on something like radiation was an insurance policy that I wanted.
   (Obviously, also recommended by my treatment team and important to TNBC)

If one is not into affirmation, skip the following on affirmations.
Consider what affirmations you might want to say as radiation therapy is being given.
I said:    Healing energy.
               My treatment plan completely cures and heals me.
After radiation, saw this this phrase which I liked:
        "See your treatment as gifts of golden light and healing energy"     
If you are into affirmations, you can think of one that would be meaningful to you.....
     and you can change if your another phrase feels better as treatment continues.
Think the time during which radiation is being given is a very powerful time for the messages
    one sends the body.

After radiation, some people noticed a decreased range of shoulder/arm motion. Sometimes
      the decreased range of motion is not noticed until several months after radiation.
      If this should occur, ask for a referral to a physical therapist who specializes in post breast
             surgery PT.   (Sometimes a "regular PT" can be too vigorous and not appreciate the
             gentle treatment that is needed post breast surgery/radiation.)

There are also Radiation Tips on the thread on TNBC News/Resources/TIps forum:
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/the-radiation-tips_topic3102.html

If any questions on the above, please post.

With caring and positive thoughts,
Grateful for today..........Judy

Edited by Grateful for today - May 18 2013 at 5:47pm
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 10:28am
Every one of us here that had chemo feel your mom's pain - and exhaustionDead  Compared to chemo radiation is a walk in the park :) the worst thing about it was the daily driving back and forth, but the radiation department at my cancer hospital was INCREDIBLE, the nicest, most efficient, knowledgeable, accommodating - I could go on and on and on raving about the care I had while receiving my radiation treatments.   You get a time of day scheduled and come each and every week day.  I and many women I know became friends with those other rads patients with daily appts. around the same time as us. All of us had some scary diagnosis or another, most of us were at the end of a lot of awful, difficult medical care.  It was a pretty joyful group, for a bunch of "sick people" Tongue Best wishes to you and your mom, she's almost finished, woohoo!!
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Fats1976 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fats1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 2:18pm
Hi All, Hope this message finds you all well, pleased to inform all
Of you that my mom starts her radiation tomorrow! She's so ready to get this going, and fortunetly really likes the radiation Oncologist, and all the staff @ the oncology centre! So here's t the next 7 weeks, may they fly by, with minimal side effects! Would like to thank all of you for the advice and replies, you all Angels! will keep you all updated as we go along, also for those that are also starting this journey of Radiation! God Bless Fats xxxxxx
Fats1976 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fats1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 1:28pm
Hi Ladies, so took my mom for her first radiation this morning @ 11:00 am South African Time. I've just chatted to her on the phone, It's now 7:25pm and she said she already has slight sunburn, and her breast is slighly swollen! Radiation Onc, told us that side effects should occur in the last weeks? We are going again tomorrow, just wanted to see if any of you had similar experience! Thanks Fats
TriplePositiveGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 4:42pm
Hi Fats!

One thing to make sure of before going to a radiation appointment - the breast area should be clean and dry - do NOT use moisturizers BEFORE the appointment, which can lead to increased burning. She can apply all the creams in the world AFTER the radiation appointment. Just wanted to make sure this was told to you and your Mom.
Best,
Lisa
Diagnosed Jan 2010; Stage IIa, grade 2, 3.2cm in rt. breast, no nodes and BRCA-. 4 cycles Carbo/Gemzar 3/10; Lump 6/10; 2 cycles carbo/gem after surgery 8/10; 35 Rads finished 12/1/10. NED.
MLindaG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLindaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 9:02pm
I just finished my Rads last Weds. I got radiation in three areas.......breast, neck and underarm area.   I have extremely sensitive skin and it is what I call pinky white skin.......I was extremely worried I was going to have BIG issues!  I did not have any issues for the first week.........at the end of the second week I had a red mark across my neck area and my breast was rather pink and under my arm area was also   pink........The nurse was surprised that I was doing so good,  Third week..........everything a bit redder......breast was still just pink..............Fourth week..........A second red mark appears on my neck.........First red mark is very very deep red but still doing OK.........breast a little bit pinker...........under arm dark red...........Fifth week..........2 areas under my breast that are dark red/very sore..........all areas are deep dark red  but I am now done with all my regular radiation.........after this all I have left are the boosts........Go in on the Monday of my boost........I realized over the weekend that I have two big blistered areas on my neck......two under the breast by the bra area.........one blister in my arm pit and another area on the side under my arm pit.........I also have one on the underside of the breast...........as they set me up for my boost and work to get everything set the Radiologist comes in and says the blister underside of my breast is open and we can't do the Radiation today......Soooooo I saw the Dr. they gave me a prescription for a med to help dry up the blisters..........well, I'm allergic to sulfa and this med has sulfa so I was unable to use it.........so I had to get a powder-mix with water and use 4 x 4 gauze soak them in the solution and put them on the blisters.......I went back in 2 days.........no could not do the Rads..........wanted me to wait until after the weekend..........no couldn't do it.........ended up having a 2 week stoppage and rest........which wasn't a bad thing all the blisters healed and I felt much better.  The one under the breast was the one in the boost area and it was the most difficult to heal.  Finally did it and got the remaining 8 boosts with no trouble.  I never noticed my breast swelling.  I did have breast pain from time to time.  Good luck to your Mom........maybe they will reduce the dose and do it longer after they see her tomorrow...........I was supposed to get 5 boosts and they changed it to 8 so they could reduce the dose.  I would go a little early and have them check it over and see if it is OK.  How many treatments was your Mom supposed to get? 
Dx TNBC 6/12; age 59; Stage 3, Grade 3; 3.5 cm, 3/10 nodes + chest wall nodes; A/C x4, T x 12 completed 12/12 with PCR, 2/13/13 lump; IMRT Rads x 33 completed 5/22/13 BRCA 1 negative.
Fats1976 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fats1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 2:34pm
To each and everyone of you , no words to say how grateful I am to all of you for replies, advice and support! Means so so much! So mom has had 3 treatments already, She'll go again on Monday, She had slight sunburn on her first one, but it seems to have settled, and not much change in with the last two! Was just so worried, But after reading your post MLinda, felt like ok this is normal! Mom will be getting 28 treatments, with 3-5 boosts @ then End Oncologist will still decide! Once again Thanks to you all, have a blessed weekend! God Bless! Fats
Linda2907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda2907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2013 at 1:56pm
I had a partial mastectomy (lumpectomy) and I refused chemo as well. I am going to have radiation, starting next week. 16 standard dose rads + 4 intense ones. I did not negotiate the term; it was the decision of the radiation oncologist after reviewing my CT scan.

Like you, the surgeon and head chemo oncologist were shocked at my no-chemo decision. The dept head seemed to take it personally, but no disrespect was intended. And, anyway, it's all about me!

I was diagnoes with TNBC, I had no margins, no nodes, Stage 1a, grade 3 (but they almost always call it that). The 1st oncologist told me that chemo was a given and that I had no choice (YES, I do!!!). 16 weeks of treatment! Then he said that chemo (for me, at least) was a coin flip. It might help, it might not, they don't really know. So I decided no.

I know my decision to refuse the "standard of care" may result in it coming back, but it's 50/50 that it will come back anyway. I'm impressed that you are 4 years well. I can't say that I really know what I'm doing, but I know what is best for my emotional well being, and for now, that's enough.

I have no issues or arguments with anyone who goes full traditional on their treatment plan, but chemo is just too aggressive for me. And, for the record, it's not about losing my hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2013 at 2:26pm
Hi Linda,

I respect your decision not to have chemo. It seems with a staging of 1a, you are well within reason to skip chemo. There is no way a doctor can tell you that chemo is going to ensure no recurrence, so if I was in your shoes, I may have chosen the same exact thing. Chemo has its own drawbacks, and certainly many women who have had chemo have had recurrences, so there is NO guarantee with any of this. I elected to have chemo (my situation is different than yours), but I have to admit that I did think about not having chemo.
Lisa
Diagnosed Jan 2010; Stage IIa, grade 2, 3.2cm in rt. breast, no nodes and BRCA-. 4 cycles Carbo/Gemzar 3/10; Lump 6/10; 2 cycles carbo/gem after surgery 8/10; 35 Rads finished 12/1/10. NED.
Linda2907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda2907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2013 at 5:55pm
Hi Lisa, LOVE your forum name! Thanks for the support. I understand your decision, too. I am in no position to know what anyone should do, so I support everyone's individual choices.

For myself, I'm a skeptic. Most test results suggest that chemo is the solution for TN, because TN responds so well to it. I wonder if it responds so well because some TN cases didn't need it. The oncologists told me that TN is always aggressive which means it must always have the most aggressive treatment - probably not true.

I found my lump before Christmas - maybe early Nov. It felt much like a cyst I had many years ago, so I never believed at all that this was going to be a problem. I told my GP at my annual physical - Jan 21 - and he thought it felt like a cyst, too. Started with mammo in early Feb - then the horse race began.

My point is that from the time I found the lump until the partial mastectomy (5-6 months), I felt no change in size. In fact, the official reports from the breast ultrasound through to the surgery (about 2 months), showed no change whatsoever. So, mine was probably not all that aggressive after all.

I hope for the best outcome. I hope I'm already cancer-free. I think cutting the cancer out and then slamming the area with radiation are the best bets. Beyond that, I'm changing my diet for the better. And, the rest is up to fate.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2013 at 6:29pm
Linda,

You are right about FATE. I have made some changes to my lifestyle habits, but I was already in decent physical shape before my diagnosis, so I am not sure what more I can do to prevent recurrence. I do take more supplements than I did prior diagnosis, especially vitamin D3. 

It certainly would be nice to know what causes this type of cancer, but I'm afraid that will never be. I am now approaching 3 years since my surgery date, and so far so good. I hate worrying about it, but the worry never truly goes away. I wish you all the best and good health and NED forever!
Lisa
Linda2907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda2907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 8:45am
Thank you so much for your good wishes.

Frankly, I'm in horrible physical shape so there's lots I can do there. If I'm being very honest with myself, I'm also in horrible mental shape. I get angry too fast and stay angry too long. I put everybody else, including my employees & employer, first. I don't do exercise, I eat what's on hand. I don't take the time to get enough sleep. I have spent too many years volunteering to stand at the back of the line. I've put myself last in my own life.

Bottom line, I did not plan for a long, healthy, successful life. I mean human success, not career success. I have career success because I put in the time and do a little on that objective every single day.

I should not have the slightest surprise that my long-ignored body failed to fight back. Why should it have? Now I have to redirect my focus to myself (in a good way) and get truly healthy - body, mind and soul.

The challenge before me is both terrifying and exhilarating. I hope I have the courage to make all those changes, and the strength to stand up to all the people who'd like things to stay just the way they have always been.
Linda2907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda2907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 9:08am
It certainly would be nice to know what causes this type of cancer, but I'm afraid that will never be.
It WILL be. The triple negative diagnoses is a temporary identification. They will learn more, it may take a while, but they'll do it. They'll chip away at it, until they know what it is. It may turn out to be 3 or 10 different cancers - each with real names and specialized treatments.

I said to the 1st chemo oncologist: imagine I've given you a paper and a pencil. Now, draw an animal. Theses are the parameters: it doesn't fly like a bird, it's not as big as an elephant, it doesn't have a bushy tail like a squirrel. Now, GO.

He laughed, then I said OK. Let's give you something we do know: it's a mammal. I asked him, will you draw a woman? a man? a chimp? could it be dolphin? He nodded and agreed that they know almost nothing about this disease except what it is not.

It won't be soon enough to do you or me any good, but they will find out what it is and not just identify it by what it is not.

I hope you are truly cured, not just 'no evidence of disease'. Which is another 'identification by what it is not'. I just know lawyers must be involved in naming these things.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 12:50pm
Hi Linda!

Your posts did make me smile. I love the lawyer comment. No Evidence of Disease does sound like a legal term rather than "hey you're cured!" would. Having cancer did cause me to re-evaluate my life. I too spent much time working, and was over stressed. I believe stress plays a big part in our overall mental and physical well-being. I definitely have made some changes in my routine, and I have tried hard not to allow stress into my life (or people who cause stress!). Of course it is impossible to completely avoid, but I have found ways to "let it go", which was hard in the past. I guess there is always something good that can come from something horrible - maybe having cancer gives us that perspective we need.
Lisa
Fats1976 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fats1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 1:33pm
So well said Lisa, as you all may or may not know, I joined this forumn because of my mothers diagnoses of idc tnbc, she was staged stage 1, everything happened so quickly, next thing all with in 1 month (Mammogram, ultrasound, biopsy, then sentinel node biopsy, lumpectomy, bone scans, heart tests, xrays to chest, ultrasound to abdominal area) she was doing chemo, she did six months cmf, which was hard, only she knows, her hair didn't fall out, but still had lots of other side effects! And is still recovering after 2 months, she's now had a 7 treatments of her 26 treatments, My mom has always been a very healthy, no sugar, no crisps, no fizzy drinks, no alchohol, she weighed 52Kg's.... No history, of breast cancer in the family! I think the only thing is no excercise??? Last year was a very stressful year for the family (one of the worst ever), and my gut tells me that her's was very much stress related! I often wonder she should she have done chemo and rads, at her stage, but everything happened so quickly and with fear of this unkown tnbs, we trusted the doctors, so if we have GOD forbid we evere have a recurrence, we'll know that it isn't because we didn't everything we could! Would just like to add t what Lisa said, Something Good does come from all this, of all the ladies that I have met and spoken to that have beaten this disease are "high" on life, appreciate everyday, stop to smell the roses and Thank GOD everyday for another beautiful day! And Don't sweat about the small stuff! God Bless you all,on this life changing Journey! Love n Light Fats

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 1:47pm
Hi Fats!

I have followed your posts about your mom's journey....she is lucky to have you by her side! Sounds like she is almost at the end of her journey, so I'm sure she is anxious to be done with treatment. I often feel like I have been "reborn" and I need to make sure to take good care of myself going forward. I so wish the best for your mom (and you!) and hope for "hey I'm cured!" for your mom soon!
xoxo
Lisa
Fats1976 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fats1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 2:09pm
Lisa, Thank you, anything for my mom, she so deserves it! She was such a great mom, and did the best she could always for the FOUR of us, and on her own, as we lost our dad in 1992, She always put us first! It's her turn now, for us to look after her! And Yes I prefer "hey I'm cured" rather than NED, does sound like a legal term, Linda made me laugh with her posts today! I'm so hooked on this forumn! It's the Best thing ever! xxxxxxxx
sarah66 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarah66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2013 at 12:59am
no, tnbc  is very aggressive.  i had  chemo  for  7 months for left breast  tnbc. then went  had  7 cm lump removed. then  had one month  later had left breast margin were lump was removed  radiation  everyday m-f. for  3 weeks. was cancer free then 6 mos. then last may had headaces and mri show cancer to the brain two small areas, now after to gamma knife tx. iam still here but its hard to tx  brain cancer, i don't have any cancer any where else. radiation is not as hard on you as chemo. at lease it wasn't for me. but tnbc is so aggressive i fought with all i could. the dr's believe my brain cancer is not related to my breast cancer. take  care sarah. hope iam helping.

Fats1976 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fats1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2013 at 2:44am
Hi Sarah, Thanks for you info, sorry about what you've been going through! But I see that you have a good fighting spirit! Keep @ it, My mom has aleady done 13 treatments of Radiation, she's doing ok so far, her breast is starting to look a little "tanned" and is just a little tired, but I've heard her tell people that it's nothing compared to chemo, here in South Africa the protocol is no bathing, just a quick wet and wipe with aqueous cream on breast receiving radiation, pat dry, no deo's @ all, she must use Maizena on Radiation site, and underarms to absorb sweat! So Glad she's gone through with it! So how and what are they doing aout your BRAIN cancer? All the best to you GOD BLESS, Fats
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic