FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone refuse radiation after lumpectomy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
parrynd1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrynd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone refuse radiation after lumpectomy
    Posted: Dec 07 2018 at 9:17pm
You could do the radiation and just see how it goes. If it’s not working with your other health things going on then stop and say you did what you felt like you could do safely.

For me radiation wasn’t anywhere near as bad as chemo.

Good luck and I hope it goes well w/e you choose.
Dx 9/016 Age 28, 3c, Grade 3, 1/5 Nodes, BRCA -, KI-67 >90%, I-Spy 2, DD A/C, Lumpectomy w/ 3 nodes removed, TC, Rads
2/2018 recurrence + brain & lung mets, Craniotomy, SRS, IPI-549, Opdivo/Avastin
Sunny70s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunny70s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2018 at 8:44pm
I did three a/c and quit cause of heart issues.  Then got talked into 2 sessions of paclixatel and the neuropathy was just too overwhelming, including eye and ear issues. (Have 3 viral issues with neuropathy tendencies that made it worse.) So quit before last two. 

Now I'm facing radiation which I know won't be as bad. But at 70 I really want to do 3 weeks, 5 days instead of 5 or 6 weeks, which some radiation oncologists will do for older women. 

If they KNOW there still is cancer there, it's more understandable. But if it's "just in case" and the side effects (especially bad lymphedema and who knows what else) set in, I'll probably go running for the hills again.

The viral issues convince me it's coming back no matter what I do, so warnings it MIGHT come back don't get me too excited.  Just trying to keep my mind and body functioning enough to get certain things done before transition to the other side. And if I keep to good diet/supplements/positive thoughts I might get lucky and live a lot longer. 

So anyway, up in the air on radiation but have another month to decide.
DX/7/11/18 IDC, Right, 3.3 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 18 nodes, Er-/PR-/HER2- Had surgery; Five of 8 chemo sessions done then quit. Probably will do radiation.
parrynd1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrynd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2018 at 5:15pm
To give a little more insight. I did neoadjuvant chemo, had a lumpectomy with clean margins, 1 node removed that looked clean. Further pathology showed it did have some cancer cells present so I went on to do more chemo, finishing with 30 rounds of radiation. I had a local recurrence near the end of radiation and went from NED to stage 4 in a few months. I live with what I chose treatment wise knowing I did what I felt was best for me at the time. You can throw everything at this disease and get nothing back or you can do the minimum and be clear the rest of your life. There are no guarantees. Do what you feel is best for you, but I will warn that if a recurrence happens do you want to look back and know you could have done more the first time?

Looking back I wish I would have done a double mastectomy, but I did what I thought was right for me with the information I had at the time. It’s too easy to look back and play the woulda shoulda coulda game and to some degree I think we all do no matter the future outcome. Whatever you choose please don’t underestimate this disease.
Dx 9/016 Age 28, 3c, Grade 3, 1/5 Nodes, BRCA -, KI-67 >90%, I-Spy 2, DD A/C, Lumpectomy w/ 3 nodes removed, TC, Rads
2/2018 recurrence + brain & lung mets, Craniotomy, SRS, IPI-549, Opdivo/Avastin
MsBliss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2018 at 3:57am
I was diagnosed in 2009.  I was stage 1, had a 1.4 primary, with .7 high grade DCIS.  I had two lumpectomies, the second one for a dirty margin.  I consulted with many different oncologists and they all recommended Taxotere/Cytoxan.  In the end I did not do chemo or rads.  But it was a very difficult decision.  I had secondary health issues which I had to factor in, however, into my decision to skip chemo. 

I am reluctant to broadcast that I skipped chemo and rads because it is a very dangerous road to take.  I would never have skipped any of these options had I been stage 2 or higher and if I did not have the secondary health issues, I would have probably done at least chemo. 

Also, it's not that I did nothing at all.  I went on an integrative protocol and made lifestyle changes.  It was mostly for my mental health because it was all very scary to be skipping chemo and other interventions.  I had to feel as though I was doing something, but the truth is that no alternative medical protocol is strong enough when it comes to this.

I did however have extremely aggressive pathology--so aggressive that the pathologist called the diagnosing surgeon late at night to discuss her findings.  I rolled the dice, to plainly say it, and I would not encourage anyone else to do this.  TNBC is simply too aggressive to risk it.

Edited by MsBliss - Nov 12 2018 at 12:49am
Dx 3/09 stg1 BRCA neg, 1.4cm IDC + 7mm DCIS, ki67 70 -90%, lump w/re-ex for margin, no chemo/no rads due to delays from secondary health issues; SonoCine every 6 months plus CAM interventions
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2018 at 7:20pm
The question to ask is " what percentage improvement is there in the "five year survival without recurrence" - by having chemotherapy. Then, compare that to side affects/physical dangers in your age group.

Edited by gordon15 - Nov 10 2018 at 7:46pm
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
Linda2907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda2907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2018 at 6:37pm
It's coming back to me. That survey also asked about my relationships with friends, family, significant other. Was I married? Happily? Did I have children and satisfactory, supportive relationships them and with friends. They even asked if I was satisfied with my sex life. Jeez! I wonder what help, if any, would have been offered if I had said no? Most questions had a sliding scale from 1-5 or 1-6.

I'm guessing I would have had to fill in that same survey at various points along my treatments and for, possibly, 5 years after. I suppose a medical school - or some group - was conducting a longitudinal study on the effects and emotional impacts of cancer treatments and, perhaps, of having cancer itself. There was never any disclosure that I was being asked to participate in a study group.
Linda2907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda2907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2018 at 6:06pm
No one will hate you here. Your choices are yours and all choices are legitimate.

I'm truly glad it worked out for you. I don't remember whether I was ever told what stage I was at. I don't remember asking, either. I really don't care at this point, and I don't remember caring much about scores then.

I do remember being told that TNBC was always very invasive and aggressive. I remember asking whether the cancer centre would test to determine which of the usual chemo treatments would be best against my tumour for efficacy, as was the usual practice in many European countries. I was told that "no, we don't do that here". I asked if there were any harmonized treatments like nutrition or immunotherapy. Nope.

I did ask to have a full mastectomy on the infected breast, but once again I was told 'they don't do that'. They only do partial with chemo & rads, which he assured me was just as good. I had no choice regarding which surgery or which surgeon. I told the surgeon that I would not be having chemo and he just smirked at me. He did do a good job at removing all the tumour, though.

For the record, being difficult just meant that I asked a lot of questions and did not follow, to the letter, the only treatment(s) they did offer. I was never rude, impolite, or raised my voice at any time. I always behaved well and was treated in the same way by everyone I met in every clinical setting.

My first time at the cancer centre I was given a questionnaire of about 20 pages. Why? I had already filled out a number of them. But this one didn't just include medical history - it was kind of out there. A lot of questions about feelings and stress levels, exercise, work and sleep habits. How did I feel about the cancer? Well, on the whole, I guess was against the idea. It wasn't the usual medical questionnaire, it was a survey.

In that survey they mentioned that the treatments could possibly be part of a clinical trial. The survey subtly asked for a signature of approval. I did tell the intake resident that I would absolutely refuse to join any clinical trials. They didn't like that one bit. Too bad, so sad.

Those of you in the States who want 'free' gov't-pay health care - be careful what you wish for.

Meadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2018 at 12:48am
Lillie said just about everything I wanted to say. But I want to add that my cousin had Stage I TNBC with a 1 cm tumor, nothing in lymph nodes, clean pathology report. And sadly, there was metastasis three years later and she passed away soon after. Likely it spread through her vascular system, as Lillie discussed. I hope people don't hate me for posting this. I agree everyone controls their body and needs to make the decision that feels right to them. But I think it's important to understand how aggressive TNBC can be. As Lillie says, it is different from other types of breast cancer, a totally different disease.
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2018 at 2:35pm
Dear Monica 5124 and Linda2907,
What was the stage of your breast cancer.  I assume it was maybe stage 1?  I also assume it was TNBC?  I am a 12 year survivor of TNBC.  I had a mastectomy and 8 chemo treatments.  I was in a clinical trial which added one drug to the three which were considered the standard of care in 2006.  Mine was stage IIb with involvement in one lymph node.  I was not a difficult patient.  I wanted to have some assurance that I was going to live more than 3,4,5 years after treatment. 
The thing about TNBC is that the cancer cells travel through the vascular system.  If only 1 cell escapes and hides in the body, it can cause a recurrence later in life.  That is why  I wanted chemo in hopes that if 1 cell did escape, it would be wiped out by the chemo. 
I wish the best for all of you ladies with the decisions you are making.  I have studied also, and know that TNBC cannot be included in the same category of other breast cancers.  ER, PR, and HER2 are breast cancers that have target drugs to ward off recurrence for years.  TNBC has no target drug YET. 
Love,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
Linda2907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda2907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2018 at 12:14pm
I wish you all the best in your recovery.
FYI: after the partial mastectomy my margins were clear and my nodes were clear. I found the lump 6 years ago. I am now 61.

I would readily take chemo for certain types of cancers such as leukemia or lymphoma, or other systemic cancers; but, for a single lump that was successfully removed, I had serious misgivings. I do not regret my decision, and would not even if I had a recurrence.

I am also a difficult patient, but a studious one who did a lot of research before making my decision about my body.

Monica5124 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monica5124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2018 at 9:41am
I am a 77 year old women recently dx with TNBC. I had a lumpectomy and have been going to medical oncologist for second opinions.  I am (according to my medically oriented family) a difficult pt.  I had my original evaluation for chemo by a doctor who did not instill confidence in me.  I then decided to go for a second opinion at a University hospital.  I left there saying YES, chemo does not sound that bad. Being 77 they would not use the full army of drugs.  Having friends who are in the research field, they insisted that I go to MD Anderson for a yet another 2nd opinion.  Treatment plan was the same but she encouraged me to make up my own mind.  I researched the issue to the ninth degree.  I worried about the fact that if it came back I would be upset that I had not taken the chemo.  We live in Florida and havingbeen staying with my son during this whole ordeal.  My husband is anxious to go back to Florida.  After all of this I made up my mind on a dime and decided to fore go chemo and do just radiation.  Your post has made me feel better about this decision and I thank you for posting it.  I am off now for my first appointment with the radiologist.  Being 77 I am blessed that all of my children are raised.

Linda2907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda2907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2018 at 7:55pm
Hi - It's been 5½ years since my last post. I'm still alive even though I refused chemo, and was pressured by the powers that be at the cancer centre to just do it as it was 'standard of care'.

Thing that bugged me was a news report I heard last spring that revealed a study strongly suggesting that chemo is unnecessary for earlier, smaller TN cancers. I KNEW IT!

I knew it in my heart in 2013. I'm so glad I listened to myself. I would not have done well with chemo; in fact, I refused the chemo because I truly believed 1) it was unnecessary for my specific cancer and surrounding details and 2) it would kill me. I was so tired and run down.

I don't know if radiation was a contributing reason why I haven't had a relapse, but I still have side effects from it. My left breast is still very tender to touch. The incision site in my breast is also tender if pressed upon.

Once again, I just want to say that people should do whatever they want - it's their life and their body and I don't judge. I'm just glad that I did what I knew was best for me.

Linda
TriplePositiveGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2017 at 12:46pm
Hi nrice1 -

I can totally understand opting out of chemo - I would too in your situation, but radiation does ensure that all cancer cells at the tumor site are killed, which is why radiation is used. What did the doctors say? You were VERY fortunate to catch this at such an early stage! 
Diagnosed Jan 2010; Stage IIa, grade 2, 3.2cm in rt. breast, no nodes and BRCA-. 4 cycles Carbo/Gemzar 3/10; Lump 6/10; 2 cycles carbo/gem after surgery 8/10; 35 Rads finished 12/1/10. NED.
nrice1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrice1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2017 at 12:33pm
I hope you are doing well as this post is older. Could you please share with me who to contact or wh what to look up? Iam opting out of chemo and rads. 1mm tumor 0/4 nodes clear. Obviosly tnbc idc grade 3.
Tennislas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennislas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 6:42pm
I didn't have any overt effects that I "feel" from either the radiation or the chemo that I had, but now looking back, I'd like to say that I would have had the courage to refuse them.  There hasn't been enough research since triple negative was identified to say that whether either was needed or not.  I think the docs just wanted to "Throw the Kitchen Sink" at it because they didn't know exactly what to do.  

The reason why I say overt effects is this:  One of my doctors told me after I had had a scan that one of my kidneys was not working, and that I had some liver damage.  Now, I wonder what caused that?

Do any of you have any auto immune issues?  I have had several things pop up lately.  Did I always have a suppressed immune system or is that the effects of my treatments?
Linda2907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda2907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 11:48am
Well, I think I'll leave the scratching in public to my dogs! Actually, I wouldn't dare scratch, I'm too afraid of damaging my breast with my finger nails.

I also noticed that the radiation side was hotter to the touch. Especially right after treatment.

And, yup, Rudolph is on his own. The nipple is no longer bright red, but reddish brown. It's no longer 3x the size of the unaffected breast, but down to 2x.

Tennislaw: I am also wondering (understatement) about why I needed radiation. No margins, no nodes, WTH? I'm sorry I had it because I am not at all convinced that it was necessary or will make any difference in my outcome.

As far as blisters that peel, well, that sounds nice. I seem to have gooey pus pods that leak. For some reason the only place I had an ugly skin reaction was on the lymph node incision. Where there were no bad nodes! Did they target my radiation properly? I don't know. The lumpectomy incision turned a spectacular bright red immediately, but just stayed that way. That incision is a very nice, straight, thin, white line. The area around the incision is still very red, but no skin problems at all.

To my breast cancer sisters who went back for boosts after skin eruptions: I salute you. I wouldn't go back for a million dollars! OK, maybe a million, but I'd need it in cash.

The overall breast pain is now less than 25% of what it was, and even then just on the outside breast below where the lymph node incision was made. I am also starting to feel better, my energy level is improving. I feel like moving around and doing some housework. I just have to watch reaching or stretching a little too far.

ctlindah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctlindah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 3:26pm
Hi Linda,

I finished my radiation the end of May and it sounds like you have many of the same symptoms I did.  Sometimes it was really hard not to give a good scratch in public!  Bet you won't be able to help Rudolph this year Smile   I did notice that the radiated side was much warmer for a good 3 weeks or so after treatment ended.  I also went to Walmart and got a few Ahh Bras in a larger size when this whole journey started.  Worked great after surgery and again during radiation.    

Linda

DX IDC TNBC 10/12 age 48, Stage 1, Grade 3, 1.5cm
Lumpectomy DD AC & Taxol BRCA- rads X30 finished 5/13
TriplePositiveGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 11:52am
Congrats to your Mom Fats!

I remember the last day of radiation very well. Feels like such a weight is lifted off your shoulders. I hope she never has to travel this road again!

Just remember, the road to recovery takes time; she will be healing for the next several months and may experience fantom pains, etc, which can make the mind think bad things...lol. This is normal.

I wish the best for her and you for a cancer free future...

Lisa
Diagnosed Jan 2010; Stage IIa, grade 2, 3.2cm in rt. breast, no nodes and BRCA-. 4 cycles Carbo/Gemzar 3/10; Lump 6/10; 2 cycles carbo/gem after surgery 8/10; 35 Rads finished 12/1/10. NED.
Fats1976 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fats1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 10:47am
Hi Ladies, hope you are all well, so I originally started this thread, just want to thank all of you for the effort to adding to my question, you all gave such good advice, that I was able to pass onto mom, today she completed her 28th treatment, and from tomorrow starts her boosts! She'll do 7, so next Wednesday, We'll be DONE!!! She Can't wait! She's slightly red, peeling under her arm, has quite a bit of stabbing pains and feels like her breast is roasting! But she's managing, I've been told the boosts are targeted @ tumour site only! So the worst is over???? do you all agree? @ Tennislas don't know when you were diagnosed, but things have definetly changed! They always changing! My best friend was diagnosed 10 years ago, and she said Chemo felt like she was so close to "death" She lived in her bathroom! And she lost so much weight! My mom now 10 years later, vomited once during her six months of chemo, and Gained 12 pounds during treatment! this all because of medication that is now given to you, with Chemo... my mom also had only one node removed because of the "sentinel node biopsy" which they remove first node closest to tumour, if that comes back negative, they don't remove any more, my best friend 10 years ago had most of her lymph nodes removed, they all came back negative, but left her with Lymphodema, as I understand My mom even though she was only stage 1, and got clear margins, had to do chemo because of it being tnbc, oncologist said all it takes is one little cell, that wasn't visible even under pathologists microscope, to have a recurrence, the radiation was for same reason, and because she opted for a lumpectomy!  It was our "insurance" policy to try and prevent any local recurrences! Thanks once again to all of you, our jouney is hopefully, God willing coming to an end, this sight has been my best friend my bible! Couldn't have done this with all the advice, that always gave us peace of mind! God Bless you all! Love Fats
Mom Dx 9/12
Stage 1c No Nodes involved.
Lump clear margins 10/12. Started 6 months of cmf chemo 11/12. Ended 4/13. RADS 28 tx 7 boosts ended 7/13. 02/14 Scans NED. 10/14 Scans NED. 6/15 Scans NED.

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 9:56am
Dear Tennislas,
I did not have radiation.
I had a left mastectomy and 1 lymph node had miniscule involvement. 
I did a clinical trial Dose Dense A/C times 4 and Dose Dense Taxol/Gemzar times 4.
The protocol did not call for radiation since I had a mastectomy.

It is the call of the oncologist some times as whether radiation is used. 

I am a 7 year survivor, so all I can say is I believe 'no radiation' made no difference in my survival.  I'm sure this is not true in so many situations; so I'm just sharing my experience.

Love and God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic