FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So Many Questions!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So Many Questions!!
    Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 2:30pm
I just found this site and hope it can help provide the support that friends and family can't even though they try their best.  Sometimes you just need to hear it from someone who's been there.  I was diagnosed on Jan 4th, 2013 with TNBC, 3cm, stage 11a, grade 3.  I had a mastectomy on Jan 29th with a sentinel node biopsy.  The nodes were clean and all the tissue surrounding the tumor was pink and healthy (thank god!).  I'm starting chemo tomorrow and scared of all the side effects.  Luckily, I'm a stay at home mom, but I'm still so busy!  I have two boys, 13 and 7, and between the two of them we have soccer, running, jazz band, private lessons, school activities...  My husband works long hours so I've always taken care of driving the kids and attending all the meetings and events as well as volunteering at both schools, etc.  He's trying to cut back on his hours and his company has been GREAT so far, but he still needs to do his job and keep his bosses happy.  So, how bad is the chemo REALLY going to be?!  I'm doing dose dense AC every other week for 4 cycles followed by weekly Taxol for 12 weeks.  If my infusion is Thursday morning, will I be okay for physical therapy Friday at 10am?  Friday afternoon I need to go in for hydration IV and a shot of Neulasta but was told not to drive myself if I'm feeling nauseous.  Will I feel it that soon?  Do I need to find someone to drive me in?  When the fatigue hits, will I be able to drag myself out of bed to get the kids to the bus before collapsing on the couch?  I'm a planner so this complete unknown is driving me CRAZY!!  I just found out yesterday that I'd be starting chemo tomorrow so I'm running around today trying to get everything organized last minute.  :)

Thanks for any input you can give!
Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 4:53pm
HOC,

I just responded on your thread
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/topic10978_post111229.html#111229

Asking others to consider posting on
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/topic10978_post111229.html#111229
so HOC will have just one thread to check for responses on.

Grateful for today...........Judy
beck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 5:12pm
HI I DID CHEMO 5 YEARS AGO,AT AGE 58 , FOR ER POSTIVE AND 1 YEAR AGO FOR TN, WHAT YOUR GOING TO DO NOW SOUNDS LIKE WHAT I DID THE FIRST TIME, WE ARE RAISING GRANDAUGHTER SHE IS 16 NOW , BUT WAS 11 THEN, I WAS DOWN 3 DAYS AFTER TREATMENTS THEN, COULD STILL CLEAN AND DO THINGS , BUT SLOWLY AFTER THE 3 DAYS I WAS FINE DID EVERYTHING, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, THIS TIME I DID CMF CHEMO , AND MY BLOOD COUNTS STAYED LOW, SO IWAS DRAGGING, BUT THAT IS UNUSAL, IT WAS SURPOSE TO BE A MUCH MILDER CHEMO, EVERONE IS DIFFERENT , BUT IM SURE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DO MOST THINGS, I NEVER GOT WHAT I WOULD CALL SICK, NEVER HAD A STOMACH PROBLEM, LOTS OF WOMEN WORK THROUGH CHEMO, I DID DRIVE MY SELF BOTH TIME TO TRATMENTS , AND STOPPED AT THE STORE AFTER, YOU WONT FEEL ANY DIFFERENT THAT SOON, CHEMO WAS NO WHERE AS BAD AS I THOUGHT , OR I WOULD NOT OF DONE IT A SECOND TIME, LOST MY HAIR WITH THE FIRST ON , BUT JUST THINNED WITH THE SECOND, EVEN LOSING MY HAIR WASNT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT, I DID LEARN WHEN IT CAME BACK IN, THAT I LIKE IT SHORT NOW, MINE STARTED COMING IN, WHEN I WAS DOING THE TAXAL,, I PICKED GRANDDAUGHT UP FROM SCHOOL LOTS OF TIMES, YOU JUST HAVE TO PACE YOURSELF, AND TAKE BREAKS, I ONLY HAD A SORE MOUTH ONCE FOR ABOUT 2 DAYS BELIEVE ME YOU CAN DO IT , MANY ON HERE HAVE , AND WILL BE ON WITH ADVICE, I TO HAVE A CRAZY HOUSEHOLD TEENS OVER ALOT , DOGS CATS ECT. I TOOK NAUSEOUS SHOT, I DIDNT KNOW IT COULD MAKE YOU NAUSEOUS, NEVER DID ME , IT MAKES YOU SORE A COUPLE DAYS , I WAS GIVEN SOME TIPS AT THE CANCER CENTER , THEY TOLD ME 2 .. 3 DAYS BEFORE YOU GET THE SHOT START TAKING CLARITAIN ALLERY PILL ONE A DAY FOR COULPE DAYS BEFORE AND AFTER FOR A FEW DAYS, THEY DONT KNOW WHY IT WORKS BUT IT DID FOR ME , I DIDNT GET SORE YOU DONT NEED TO KNOCK YOURSELF OUT CLEANING NOW, YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO DO IT , I HELPED MY HUSBAND KNOCK OUT WALLS IN THE BATHROOM, FOR SOME REASON BOTH TIMES I DID CHEMO I WANTED TO REDO THE HOUSE ..    bECK
ER postive in 2007 10 nodes in underarm,primary unknown, right side, did chemo and rad. Dec. 2011 TN left side 1.5 CM no nodes stage 1 did cmf chemo and rads.
CindyKS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CindyKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 9:22pm
I think that it is different for everyone, but for me it was tolerable.  I usually had my AC on Fridays.  I was always able to work on Monday.   I did not always feel well on Saturday, but was still able to manage by just taking it easy.  My taxol was also every two weeks.  I was really tired on Tuesday or so, but still able to work.  Taxol was much easier for me.  I am not going to lie and say it was a walk in the park, but still manageable (especially with a supportive family and co-workers.)

Wishing you good luck!  

Cindy
Age 42; Dx 4/10; IDC; 2.1cm; lumpectomy; ACx4-taxolx4 every 2 wks; Radx37, BRCA 1/2 neg
dldlogan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dldlogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 9:59pm
Dear HOC,
I have my final of 12 Taxol tomorrow.  I had 4 AC every 3 weeks followed by 12 weekly Taxol.  I did infusion on Thursday and managed to work on Friday.  I also worked Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, all 10 hour days.  I would lay low on the weekend just to rest up and save my strength.  I drive myself to work and back, (45 minutes one way) but my sister insisted she would drive me home from Chemo except one time when she was out of town.  I drove myself to and from with no problems.  The trip was about 30 minutes one way.

I had problems with constipation and diarrhea; it was a real balancing act.  The premeds they gave me must have worked because I didn't have any nausea really, just a little queasy a couple of times.  That was solved with crackers even though I had anti nausea meds. 

My blood counts have been dropping and I'm really feeling quite tired this last week.  I was dragging Monday and Tuesday all day even though I was still able to work.

I didn't get the neuropathy that others have reported, but I attribute it to the vitamin D I take and the other vitamins and minerals that have been part of my diet for a couple years now.

I was quite surprised I didn't have more side effects.  The biggest problem was my sister had to put up with my moodiness and sudden outbursts.  It was hard to keep my emotions in check with all that was going on.

I know you can make it; just try to stay positive about this.  Chemo isn't a forever thing; it is a stepping stone to being NED (No Evidence of Disease).  Thumbs Up

Wishing you all the best,  Smile
Diana
Diagnosis 6/25/12
Biopsy 7/20/12
Mastectomy 8/15/12
IDC 1.9 cm TN Gr 3 Stage I
Chemo Start 9/27/12 ACT
Done 3/7/13
BRCA Neg
Reoccurence-Lung 12/3/13-Biopsy 12/16/13 Brain MRI 2/20/14 Stage IV
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2013 at 2:16am
I only had 4 tx of AC. They were not dose dense either. I was a single parent of daughters ages 9 and 13. I would have chemo Monday mornings , then lay low, conserving energy to be able to work, Wednesday thru Saturday. The week of chemo was hardest. More fatigue. The energy would just go...and I'd need to regroup in a quiet, darkened place. If home I would just go to my room and lay down. I was able to drive my kids to school, activities and work. My friend did drive me to chemo each time. I did not have nuelasta. She would drive me to chemo, then the bank, then acupuncture and home where I would have to rest. I credit the acupuncture with maintaining my energy level. I didnt start it immediately after the first tx so felt a remarkable difference with the 2nd tx.

Don't hesitate to take people up on their offers to help. Make a list of things that can be done by others when offers come in.
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic