FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vein hurts after 2nd chemo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sweetpickle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vein hurts after 2nd chemo
    Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 2:35pm
Hi Guys,

Im doing dose dense A/C followd by Taxol and Ive done two of the AC so far. I dont have a port and I had no problem getting the IV first time out, with this second AC it left a horrible bruise and my vein is tender and sore all the way up my arm past my elbow. I really dont want to get a port but is this normal? I have a call into Onc. Office now.
11/13/12 DX TNBC, BRCA 1+ Grade 3, 4.3cm tumor, susp. node under arm, 4 A/C biweekly & 4 Taxol biweekly
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 2:54pm
That's one of the big reasons for using a port...chemo is very hard on the veins.
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
debB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 3:16pm
Sweetipickle,

I had my first infusion before my port because my tumor was growing at such an alarming rate that I did not want to wait. They pushed the Adriamycin by hand at the hospital where I had it. Part way through the first tube, I started getting red at the IV site and it slowly started creeping up my arm. They finally stopped the infusion, took out the IV, and put in a pic line. It was extremely bruised and sore for months. The vein got very hard. It is no longer rock hard but you can still see the discoloration of the vein for about a three inch stretch and it has been 22 months! They were quite confident that it did not leak out into surrounding tissue, but they told me this is why they avoid joints with Adriamycin.

If you want to avoid a port, consider asking them to do a pic line. I hated it, and had my port done the next week as planned. I am too active in my job and was having to go in daily to have them change the dressing because it was bloody. They wouldn't let me do it but I work with little kids and couldn't very well have blood dripping down my arm either! It freaked me out that a medication would do that to my vein and now they were going to pump it straight into my heart, but we don't have a lot of choices here.

Best of luck,
Deb
Dx 4/29/11, 46 yrs old, 3.9 cm tumor, Stg 2 Grade 3 chemo 4 rounds DD AC, 12 weekly taxol, finish. Lumpectomy, 2mm residual tumor. 37 rounds rads completed. Cisplatin/PARP trial
Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 3:22pm
sweetpickle,

If your physician's office has not called back yet, be sure to have the following info ready for them:
        Your current temperature.
        Is there any pinkness or redness on the skin above the tender vein?
        Does the skin feel warm above the vein?    
        Measure how far above the elbow the tenderness goes?
                 (ex. 2 inches above elbow etc.)

Some times after chemo esp. adriamycin a vein will feel tender   BUT as you did....one needs to let
one's physician know and determine if local reaction or possible inflammation of the vein and
what/if any treatment is needed.    

The matter of IV vs port is a matter for your physician and you.
USUALLY for most, the adriamycin is more toxic to the veins than the cytoxan or taxane (taxol).   
If you continue with IVs, you definitely want to consider to ask/insist on the best IV starter for
any additional chemos.....remind them of the current post chemo reaction.

Hope your vein/arm feels better quickly.

With caring and positive thoughts,
Grateful for today..........Judy
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 5:02pm
thanks, they did call back and based on what I described to the nurse she doesnt feel that it is infected. She basicly said that the ac is really hard on the veins and that it should resolve itself. I get chemo three tomorrow so they will take a look at it but I plan to use my other arm.
11/13/12 DX TNBC, BRCA 1+ Grade 3, 4.3cm tumor, susp. node under arm, 4 A/C biweekly & 4 Taxol biweekly
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 7:17pm
Sweetpickle,

The first time with chemo I didn't have a port.  During the 3rd chemo tx with the premeds I felt pain and burning in my hand.  The nurse looked at it and said nothing was wrong.  The pain stopped and they proceeded with the chemo.  Aftwerwards my skin had reddish burn marks outlining my vein.  It went from my knuckles up to my wrist.  The vein looked like it had collapsed to and was no longer raised.  As a result, the could no longer use that vein.  With the recurrence I needed a port.  It made treatment so much easier.  Hope they can find a better vein tomorrow and you don't have any problems.  

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 9:02pm
Ouch Donna that sounds painful. So sorry you had to go throug that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic