FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BRCA 1/2 Tests in Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BRCA 1/2 Tests in Canada
    Posted: May 27 2008 at 4:04am
http://womenaff.blogspot.com/2008/05/ashkenazic-women-in-canada-offered-free.html

"Jewish women in Canada to be offered the chance to alter their genetic destiny by taking a test – at no cost to them – that will determine whether they are at high risk of developing breast and ovarian cancers"

I know this is only a blog but this may be good information for women in Canada.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
CarynRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarynRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 6:01am
There are women in the US who are salivating right now!  FREE genetic testing!  WOW!

Dr. Narod is the foremost expert on this topic and it's teriffic that this opportunity is there.

Cheers,
Caryn
Orig dx 6/03 - St.2a, IDC
gr.3,0 nodes, TNBC/BRCA1+
7/07 St 4 mets to nodes/lungs. PACA/Rads NED 11/07-10/08
Lepto mets 10/08
Rads for 4 brain tumors 4/10.
Leptomets return 6/10
lavender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lavender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 7:39am
Genetic testing is free here in Canada but you do have to qualify.I think if you are under 35 or have two close relatives ect.

It is free but it takes 6-7 months just to get the genetic counseling before you can have the blood test which also take a while.

I am just on the waiting list as of a couple of weeks ago. There are also some studies that happen. I am waiting to see if I qualify for one when it open up.

From what I have heard is that some women will pay for the test and have it done from the states as they will send the kits to canada.
Lavender

DX Sept 07
Oct 07 Partial mastectomy 0/18 nodes
T2a N0 grade 3 TN
Mar 08 completed 4AC& 4T
Apr 08 mastectomy with expander

CarynRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarynRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 8:01am
Lavender,

If you are Jewish or of Jewish ancestry, your study just opened.  Dr. Narod is phenomenal.

Caryn
Orig dx 6/03 - St.2a, IDC
gr.3,0 nodes, TNBC/BRCA1+
7/07 St 4 mets to nodes/lungs. PACA/Rads NED 11/07-10/08
Lepto mets 10/08
Rads for 4 brain tumors 4/10.
Leptomets return 6/10
lavender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lavender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 5:24pm
Caryn,
I am not of Jewish ancenstry, I am waiting for another study for TN that don't normally qualify for the testing. I think it is for 36-46 yrs and no family hx but from what I have heard is that is waiting for the ethics board to approve. It may be something they are doing here in BC.   I just have to wait and see.
Thanks though.

Lavender

DX Sept 07
Oct 07 Partial mastectomy 0/18 nodes
T2a N0 grade 3 TN
Mar 08 completed 4AC& 4T
Apr 08 mastectomy with expander

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic