9 [33.33%]
2 [7.41%]
5 [18.52%]
7 [25.93%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exercise and Relaxation
    Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 7:21am
I am getting ready to try tai chi.

I wondered how many of you exercise and what you might do for relaxation.

Thanks for answering the poll
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 8:47am
Pam

Went to vote for Lori. You can only check one thing? She does many?
Nancy
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 10:12am
Well shoot I clicked the box for multiple boxes, I'm sorry.

Did you try checking another item?

Edited by trip2 - Jul 22 2008 at 10:13am
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 1:04pm
When you check one and then try to check another, the first one disappears.
Nancy
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2008 at 5:24am
Well I'm sure sorry Nancy, I set it up for multiple votes.

You could always vote for one and mention the other in a post in this section.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2008 at 5:39am
Hey there Pam,
I just voted and then went back 2 more times for Lori. SORRYEmbarrassed I didn't think it would allow me to go and vote again. Lori also walks (really fast).
Nancy
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2008 at 6:18am
Oh so then it works!  Great.  I'm like you and thought you could mark several at one time, didn't know you would have to go back but it would accept another vote.  I appreciate that tid bit of information.Thumbs%20Up

Best wishes for a nice day and thanks for voting!
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Joan2844 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joan2844 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2008 at 6:36am
Before  my recurrence, I was walking on my treadmill 4-5 days, for 30 minutes. I would put on my Ipod and just jam!

Since my recurrence, I have not been able to get back into a routine. Depression and shock (which thankfully seem to be passing) combined with the fatigue of surgery and then chemo have made me second guess my strength.

The chemo has really zapped my immune system -- I seem to get virus/fevers so much easier (I'm no a Taxol/Gemzar regime), so I'm not keen on going to the gym for classes.

Plus, I hate exercise, so I do make excuses to avoid it. I'm curious to know how many women who currently are exercising are doing it while in chemo or radiation?

I have made myself out to be a victim again, I recognize that....
9/06 Stage2B. Pos Nodes; Neg BRAC; TAC/Lumpectomy/Rads/Xeloda.
4/08 Local Recurrence; Mast w/ Latissimus Flap;Taxol/Gemzar/Carbo. Zometa.

NED since May 2008 :-)
www.wow-matt14.blogspot.com
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2008 at 6:57am
Joan, I have never been an exerciser. After my first diagnosis 4 1/2 yrs ago I still didn't do anything for exercise.

Like you c came back but on the other side as a new primary last year.
Of course I am older now, the kids are grown but hearing that you have it again was such a punch in the stomach that it seems this second journey has been really hard on me, had/have other health issues and still would not even physically be able to do any of those exercises where you run or ride but I came across Tai Chi and ordered a book for seniors. Smile

That's me and because I am 61 and not healthy I thought this book might help me with more of a gentle exercise.  I am also dealing with depression and anxiety over my last diagnosis and all that happened that year plus my daughter being diagnosed.  Also hope this might help distract me from c and give me something else to think about.

My chemo last year made me too sick to exercise.  I could barely get out of bed.

Edited by trip2 - Jul 23 2008 at 7:00am
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2008 at 7:11am
Joan,

I really wish that Lori would get on the site. She has been exercising for over 25 years now, and on a daily basis. She did as much as she could tolerate during chemo, and then went full steam ahead after. She walks, runs, and bikes daily. One day she called me from her cell phone and she had just walked miles, and was then going biking. She had chained her bike on the Rails to Trails, came back and got on it.

So...why did she get bc??? It has to go back to genetics. The p53 gene (guardian angel gene), is a big factor with tnbc, and alot of cancers.

Me...exercise....2 times a week for water aerobics, and up and down the steps in the house many many times a day. (probably because I remebered something that I forgot earlier)LOLLOLLOL

Hugs,
Nancy
sparrow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2008 at 1:03pm
Nancy,

Sounds like Lori is too busy exercising to have time for the internet....good for her!  Just hearing about all she does is such an inspiration.  About how much time does she spend each day in exercise?  Bet she has a good SLOW resting pulse rate!  Lack of exercise surely cannot be her cause of breast cancer! I pray one day we'll have the answer to this question.

I run 2-3 times per week, either on the treadmill at the gym or at the track.  I go to the gym 5 days a week and do my workout in about one and a half hours.   I'm doing an hour of cardio...jog at 5MPH and spend the other half hour on other machines or lifting weights.  Plan to get back to a spinning class 2 days a week in the fall.  I try to change programs at least every 2-3 months so as not to get bored.  The more stressed I feel, the faster I run!

I know our Wellness Center offers Yoga, but don't think they offer Tai Chi.  I'll have to ask about that and read up on it.

60 yowf, 1/4/08 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, Stage 1, (8mm) grade 3, Sentinal Node biopsy 2nodes removed, both negative. Triple negative, Bilateral mastectomy 1/22/08, no reconstruction, no chemo
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2008 at 1:21pm
Sparrow,

I will have to ask her as to the time each day. Funny you should ask about the pulse rate. When she had surgery last month, and they took her blood pressure and rate, they asked her if she was a runner as her resting pulse rate was very low. She is trying to get it lower. From what she told me, Lance Armstrong's rate is always very low. She did the triathlon 3 years ago.

You are doing great!!! I never did Tai Chi, but have done/do Yoga. Not as I should, but when you reach 67, anything you can do to stretch the muscles is good for you. What is a spinning class? I believe it is the same for Lori..the more stressed she is, the faster she runs. If exercise was a cure or preventative to cancer, Lori would not have been dx.

Hugs,
Nancy
sparrow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2008 at 2:24pm
Nancy,

Hey!  Do let us know how long Lori exercises each day.  My resting pulse is 44, and I have a low BP also.  I usually try to warn the nurses before they start  checking my pulse.  After my surgery, when I was awake in the recovery room and talking to the nurse, the monitor showed 36 pulse rate.  I'm almost afraid to know what it was under anesthesia!  I will say, I believe all the exercise was quite helpful for my speedy recovery. 

It is amazing that Lori did the triathlon 3 years ago!  She really is quite the athlete!

Spinning class is really just a biking class on stationary bikes.  They usually play loud, upbeat music, and the instructor hollers out directions such as: "Uphill for 5 minutes!"....you then adjust your bike so it is harder to pedal and stand up while you pedal.  When the Tour de France was going on, our instructor passed out yellow hats to everyone and showed us the map the bikers were on.  Each day we felt like we were right on the tour with them!  One day it was up the mountain the whole day....that one hour spin class left me exhausted!!!! 

God Bless,
Sparrow
60 yowf, 1/4/08 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, Stage 1, (8mm) grade 3, Sentinal Node biopsy 2nodes removed, both negative. Triple negative, Bilateral mastectomy 1/22/08, no reconstruction, no chemo
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2008 at 4:05pm
Sparrow,

Ok. Lori just called me about an hour ago. She had her appt. with her med onc today. She had called her hubby, and said she was not going to fix supper, not doing anything! She was taking her bike and going for her ride. She was so stressed out just even thinking about the appt. with the onc, that she had to ride!!!   

I forgot to ask her as to the time she spent each day, so I just called and left  message.

That spinning class sounds like it is a workout!! I'll have to ask Lori if they have anything like that at her gym. She would be one to put her all into that. Lori won for her age group in the triathlon. The YMCA  sponsored it. DH bought her a wetsuit, and went out in a canoe or kyack to help her train for the swimmimg. The triathlon took place at Canoe Creek State Park.

More than any thing, she thoroughly enjoys the outdoors. Lori has this really fancy treadmill, and she only uses that when she can't get outside.

She and her hubby want to walk the Appalachian Trail. I am reading a book that she gave me the other day by Bill Bryson, titled "A Walk in the Woods". (True story and absolutely hilarious!!)

Not sure that DH is ready for that, as he ruptured his Achilles tendon, on the day that they were to fly to Maui, July3rd. That was a trip that was planned before Lori was dx last year. Needless to say...they didn't go. If the Achilles tendon is not repaired right away, it can become a dissability That trip meant the world to her. That is what got her through chemo. Visualizing the beaches, the sand, the warm ocean water, the blue sky. She has always given 100% to everyone else, and this one thing was going to be for her, a kind of healing for all she had been through for a year. They have rescheduled and hopefully will be able to go.

Lori's onc was so impressed as to how well she has done. He asked when the fatigue left after chemo. She had completed the last chemo day after Thanksgiving, and then rads until the end of January. She told him that the fatigue went away the first part of April. He thought that was great. Says it usually lasts much longer from the chemo. He is an athlete, and runs every day. Guess he would need that to keep him sane after all that he deals with every day. 

Lori's BP is low also. Mine is too. When my Mom ,(she was a RN), would take my BP she would ask me jokingly if I was among the living! It is usaully 100/60, and Lori's is about the same. NO Sparrow, I am not an athleteLOL

Did you know that people who perform yoga faithfully can almost stop their heart? They say that we only have so many heartbeats in our lifetime.

When she calls me back I will let you know what her exercise routine is.

Hugs,
Nancy
Barbara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2008 at 7:05am
Hi
I currently am in chemo treatments and I continue to exercise by walking outdoors.  In the past I was a runner but am unable to do that.  By walking outside I enjoy the natural sites and avoid the germs of the gym or the isolation of using a treadmill in my home.  Today I walked 4 miles!  I still try to work, some days I leave early to save my strength.  The walking always makes me feel better.
Barbara
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2008 at 11:00am
Hi Barbara,

Welcome to the siteClap
I am Nancy and my daughter Lori was dx tnbc June 13, 2007.

i applaud you for walking and enjoying the outdoors, even while in chemo treatments. That's wonderful. You and Lori have much in common. I know that many of the gals are unable to enjoy this form of exercise. You will get back to running. Lori did, however, that can really sap your strength at this time, and you want to take care of yourself. Just listen to your body, as you are already doing. 

We are certainly glad that you found us. Please post and let us know your progress, and you may want to give some advice to the new gals.

Hugs,
Nancy

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 4:59am
Good morning Barbara,

That is so good that you are able to walk during your treatments.  If nothing else it gets you up and out of the house for a fresh view.
Not everyone is able to do that during treatments.

How far along are you in your treatments?  Are you  doing pretty good?

Best wishes and keep up the good work,

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
NancyJane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NancyJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2008 at 9:52am
I like to swim in addition to walking and running.  In my 20's and 30's I was very attentive to my health and ran numerous races including the NY City marathon.  For the last 5 years, however, I have let my health slide. I currently am overweight and think this contributed to my propensity for BC.  I have tried to pick up my activity level since diagnosis.  I hope I am well enough during chemo to keep it upThumbs%20Up Hope springs eternal!
41yr dx 7/25/08
Lumpectomy and ax node disection (38 nodes, all clean!) 8/12/08
T2 grd 3, N0, TN IDC
BRCA1+
ACx4,Tx12 10/08-3/09
prophylactic hyst, ooph,mast & one-step recon 3/30/09
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic