FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Elevated ALP enzyme level...does this mean mets?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jenifer419 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenifer419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevated ALP enzyme level...does this mean mets?
    Posted: Oct 11 2011 at 3:31pm
I just went in for my check up yesterday and my blood work came back normal other than ALP was elevated to 174.  Apparently it's been slightly elevated in the past as well.  2/11 - 116, last chemo tx - 3/11, 7/11 ALP - 142, 8/11 ALP - 150 and now 10/11 ALP - 174.  I had a clear bone scan 5/11, so my onc doesn't think it has anything to do with my bones.  He ordered more blood tests and I should get the results back later this week, but the waiting is killing me.

Has anyone had elevated ALP for any other reason other than cancer?

I appreciate any info you can provide...

Hugs to everyone...

Jen
DX IDC TNBC 9/10 age 38, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 4.8 cm, 0/4 nodes, Taxol x12, AC x4 completed 2/28/11, I-SPY2 trial, bilateral mastectomy w/ recon 3/24/11, cPR 4/6/11
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2011 at 6:32pm
Hi Jen,

Here's some info I found:

Alkaline Phosphatase

An alkaline phosphatase (ALP) test measures the amount of theenzyme ALP in the blood. ALP is made mostly in the liver camera and in bone with some made in the intestines camera and kidneys camera. It also is made by the placenta of a pregnant woman.

The liver makes more ALP than the other organs or the bones. Some conditions cause large amounts of ALP in the blood. These conditions include rapid bone growth (during puberty), bone disease (osteomalacia or Paget's disease), or a disease that affects how much calcium is in the blood (hyperparathyroidism),vitamin D deficiency, or damaged liver cells.

If the ALP level is high, more tests may be done to find the cause.

Why It Is Done

A test for alkaline phosphatase (ALP) is done to:

• Check for liver disease or damage to the liver. Symptoms of liver disease can include jaundice, belly pain, nausea, and vomiting. An ALP test may also be used to check the liver when medicines that can damage the liver are taken.
  • Check bone problems (sometimes found on X-rays), such as rickets, osteomalacia, bone tumors, Paget's disease, or too much of the hormone that controls bone growth (parathyroid hormone). The ALP level can be used to check how well treatment for Paget's disease or a vitamin D deficiency is working.

I've had similar issues with my liver enzymes in the past.  They seem to fluctuate especially after treatment or stress or surgery.  It's scary but there can be other causes than mets.   Please keep us posted and let us know what you find out.  Does your doctor do tumor marker tests?

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2011 at 7:13pm
Jen, it's not very elevated beyond normal range, and as Donna says there are lots of reasons these numbers go high.    Are you taking any supplements or other drugs?  Also, I notice that you had a pCR.  Your odds of recurring are extremely low.   

Try not to worry!  (easier said than done, of course)
love,
d
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2011 at 8:34pm
Dear Jen,

I think the short answer to your question “does this mean mets?” is "not necessarily"...

Here is some more info on ALP....please check out the symptoms listed in the link and please make sure your oncologist is aware if you exhibit any of them...

I will be hoping for a lower level next time and some clarification, of something other than cancer, as your test continue..

hugs,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Debris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2011 at 2:07am
Hi Jen,

Also check your Vit D levels - Vit D deficiency seems to be a hallmark of TNBC, so it is good to try keep that up. I think, for us, that is around the 50 - 60 mark, but I'm not sure of that.

All the best.

Deborah.
4/12 Xeloda/Tykerb
2 Carboplatin
12/11 Dx IA
9 Gemzar/Taxotere Dx IBC:FEC
5 Ixempra/Sprycel
2 25 Rad
10/10 BRCA1-/2suv
9 NED
6 Stg4 Grd3 many nodes no Sx/Rad. Taxol/Avastin
06/08 Dx DCIS 0/SN Rads/AIs
Autumn10182001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn10182001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2011 at 12:06pm
Jen,  my liver enzymes were elevated on and off, throughout the years between my first dx and 2nd.  the only thing they found on me was a fatty liver...  probably because I was 242,  now I am 193 give or take...

I think mine were the ALT and the ALS..  but it has been a while...so I am not positive..  but take a deep breath.. lots of things can raise these enzymes.   hugs..
DX2/99 Stg I,ER+PR+ Chemo lumpectomy - Neg nodes,rads, tamox,femara. DX4/09, Stg IIB /III, TNBC IDC, Grade III, 2.5CM, mastectomy. 4AC DD,12 wkly taxol,BRAC1&2Neg, Right Mast 11/25/09
winnetkatnbc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winnetkatnbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2018 at 12:21pm
I was just wondering if you were ok. I hope so. I never saw a f/up to your alp concern.
Autumn10182001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn10182001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2018 at 8:05pm
I am doing fine.. still in remission...  how are you doing? I haen't been on here in ages...
DX2/99 Stg I,ER+PR+ Chemo lumpectomy - Neg nodes,rads, tamox,femara. DX4/09, Stg IIB /III, TNBC IDC, Grade III, 2.5CM, mastectomy. 4AC DD,12 wkly taxol,BRAC1&2Neg, Right Mast 11/25/09
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic