Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Double mastectomy in 1 week

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
conniec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conniec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Double mastectomy in 1 week
    Posted: Oct 01 2010 at 7:56pm
Hello New Friends,
I have surgery scheduled in 1 week.  I would love to hear your thoughts on preparations.  My breast care coordinator is going to give me a belt that will hold the drain tubes and a couple small pillows that she said many women find helpful.  Any other suggestions?  
Connie
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2010 at 10:46pm
Oh my dear, Connie...I am not a mx person, yet so I can't comment from experience but the ladies that have posted have mentioned the lazy boy chair as being their best friend in the first couple of weeks due to getting up and down from the horizontal position.  Denise just had her's done so she will probably pop in soon and give you a detail of all the things she encountered.  By the way, Denise is doing her yoga and things around the house and she is only two weeks out of surgery!  She is definitely the one to talk with!

The drain tubes were bothersome for some, but with the belt it is easier!  So that is good you have the jump on that one.  The small pillows are great, they keep your upper arms away from your sides so you don't get chaffed.  Exercise is the most important!  Do the fingers walking up the wall so that you can get a good range of movement with your arms.  Don't lift over 5 pounds....That is all I can think off the top of my head... sorry.

I will continue to pray for you until you say things are going well.  We are here for you so be patient, the weekends are relatively slower than during the week. 

I am happy that you have made your decision and I am sure you will do very well too!
Hugs, Helen in NS
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
scared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 11:32pm
Hello Connie,

I am sorry that you need to have this done, and at the same time I wish you the best possible outcome.  I suggest that the surgeon should be one that specializes in only breast cancer and that is their speciality.  My wife had a mastectomy and the operation was not too bad, she had gall stones removed and said that was much worse.  Becky spent the night at the hospital, and I brought a movie I knew she would fall asleep watching and played that for her.  

Once home she took two Percocet every four hours and then was able to use Advil.  I was the one to do the drain and the nurse asked me if I wanted to watch her do it or do it myself.  I chose to do it then and there, and she said I did such a good job she asked if I wanted to do the rest of her patients, I laughed and said, "no thanks!".

The trick to it is to pinch the tube where it comes out of your body.  Once that is secure, just slide the other hand along the plastic tube and pinch it.  Then repeat until all liquid is in the bubble.  Empty and measure.  I did it wrong home at once and almost pulled the tube out of her, so please don't make that mistake!

Wishing you all the best!

Dave
Wife diagnosed 7/08 stage 2B 4.78cm with 3 nodes. 15 weeks of Adriamycin and Cytoxin, Mastectomy, 12 weeks of Taxol, and 6.5 weeks of radiation.
TracyAMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TracyAMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 2:58pm
How are you doing ConnieC?

Tracy in Toronto
TN&non-TN tumors April/10 Gr3&2;1 metaplastic
Rmast.1/9 nodes w/isolated t.cells
Taxotere&Cytoxan x6
Bone cancer 1980 age17;surgery&chemo AC+Methotrexate
BRCA-ve
On hormone therapy & Metformin Trial
zoomommy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoomommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 3:51pm
Connie C,
I only had a mastectomy on one side, but it wasn't as bad as feared.  The pain wasn't bad and was easily controlled with Percocet.  It was harder getting my stamina back.  Of course, I flew cross country 10 days later for my son's wedding.  That put my stamina to the test and I failed.  The drains are more of a hassle than the surgery.  But they don't stay in for more than a couple of weeks. I just used some roll gauze for a belt for the drains and it worked fine.  Best of luck with your surgery.  Let us know how you are doing.
Lee in Denver
dx6/09,stageII,gr3,(L)mastectomy 7/09,ACx4,Taxolx7,Avastin study,gall bladder surgery 1/10,4/11 Stage 4, mets to lung, 4/11 Started Taxotere and Xeloda, 5/11 Taxotere stopped, off Xeloda
Katastrophe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katastrophe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 8:36am

Hi Connie, I had bilateral mastectomy and I have to say I agree with Dave. My operation to have my gall bladder and stones removed was much tougher to come through. I wouldnt wish that one on anyone. I am the queen of operations (caesarean, tubal ligation, hysterectomy, oopherctomy, sphincterectomy, lumpectomy, bladder lift (twice) bowel lift (twice) mortens neuroma's on both feet, gall stones and gall bladder and bilateral mastectomy, port insertion and removal, removal of excess skin from mastectomy) to name but a few. I found the mastectomy easier than most. With the exception of the annoying drains I thought I coped with it quite well. I carried them in these cute little bags that the breast cancer nurse gave me. I just slung them over my shoulder like a couple of handbags and I was good to go. Just watch the door knobs as they are a killer if the drain tube catches it on the way through and nearly rips it out your chest. Other than that I found it bareable.

Good luck Darl ... luv Kat
Age 49. Stg2 gr3 19mm lump in L/br 1 lymph node in L/br 3/14 lymph nod under left arm full clear bil/mast 6rds Chemo 3wkly 25rds Rad 18rds of Avastin finished treatment on 19th August 10.
conniec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conniec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 9:12am
Hi Tracy,
My Mastectomy was back in Oct.  It went very well.  I'm so glad that I made that choice b/c the pathologist actually had the surgeon take an additional amount of skin during surgery due to more cancer below the skin. I don't think I expected the skin expanding process to be as painful/uncomfortable as it was.  Thankfully my fills are done b/c I was aiming for a B cup.  I just finished chemo #2 and don't have too much to complain about.  I really only feel "bad" for 1 1/2 days.  I hope that continues for the remaining treatments.
Connie
Age 40,
Felt lump 8/20/10
Lumpectomy 9/7
DX 1.5 tumor stg I 9/13 margin not clear
Double MX w/ expanders 10/8
Final tumor size 1.7, 0/3 + nodes
AC-T chemo 11/8 - 2/21
TE/implant exchange 3/29

TracyAMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TracyAMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2010 at 12:21am
Hi Connie

Glad the mast. went well and that you are tolerating the chemo fairly well.  How many treatments are you planning to have? My advice is to make sure you get enough sleep as you go through the process - it will keep you strong for future treatments. Keep us posted on how you are doing

Tracy in TorontoHug
TN&non-TN tumors April/10 Gr3&2;1 metaplastic
Rmast.1/9 nodes w/isolated t.cells
Taxotere&Cytoxan x6
Bone cancer 1980 age17;surgery&chemo AC+Methotrexate
BRCA-ve
On hormone therapy & Metformin Trial
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2010 at 6:48am
Connie,

Glad to hear that you're tolerating your chemo well.  I hope the rest of your treatments go as smoothly.  Take care and enjoy the holidays with your family.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic