Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Don't Delay Chemo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2018 at 9:52am
Originally posted by 123Donna 123Donna wrote:

Hi Wildburg,

I'm posting the link to the NCCN Guidelines for TNBC.  The recommendation is chemo for any tumor larger than 1.0 cm.  Unfortunately surgery, chemo and radiation are the only options for triple negative breast cancer.  We don't have targeted therapy yet and we only get one shot of trying to stop this beast the first time.  TNBC is more likely to spread through the lymphatic and blood than other types of breast cancer.  Chemo is used to hopefully mop up any stray cells that might have escaped.  

Donna, thank you for the link.  Brilliant and takes away a lot of the anxiety about opting for chemo.  These are very clear guidelines.

I have found the forum rather late as I have just passed my first anniversary.  But it's confirmed to me that my treatment plan was absolutely spot-on and could not have been bettered.

I hope your link helps lots and lots of people who are confused and frightened about chemo.
Lucky22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2018 at 9:52am
Yes, you want to get chemo as soon as you can, but women who have chemo delayed for true reasons, like I had a severe infection, should not live in fear. I had my chemo 57 days after my first surgery, less after my re excision. I wanted to hurry it up, but it is much worse to dtart chemo with an infection than to delay.
Also, using my stats as an example, with chemo my chance of death in five years is 8%. If my delay truly did screw things up as much as possible per this article, my mortality rate would go to a little over 12%. I Judy think we need to be careful of scaring people unnecessarily, because sometimes delays are unavoidable.
Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2018 at 10:52am
Lucky22, I do completely take on board your point of view.  But I don't agree about "scaring people unnecesarily".  Just having our diagnosis is in itself completely frightening.  I think people, like cancers, come in all shapes and sizes.  Some like to know the worst case scenarios, all the facts however dreadful, whilst others prefer to look on the bright side and hope for the best.

If the facts and stats are out there, then that is the "truth" as far as our present knowledge allows.  BTW, I would not find a 50% increase in mortality rate, as described by you, is a small matter.

Having said that, I am truly happy that you are getting on OK.  You are right of course that some delays are unavoidable.  Doesn't make the delays acceptable or easily ignored.  Me, I am a bit of a precision fiend:  I'd have all the bad news, whatever it is, and live (or die) with ALL of the facts....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic