FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Done at Last

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Done at Last
    Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 3:37pm
I just reread my first forum post and it made me cry.  Here I am a yearand a half on and I am finally done.  When I think back to all I have been through, I can't imagine how I did it!  I was so scared then and sure I would die at any moment.  Although I have not posted lately, I have been lurking.

8 rounds of A/C
12 weeks of Taxol and Carbo ever third week
Lumpectomy with PCR although there was DCIS on margins
14 lymph nodes removed 1 macro, 1 micro and the rest minimal
Right mastectomy
25 rounds of radiation'
6 cycles of Xeloda for clean up I can finally claim to be cancer free

I will now start the construction process with the removal of my left Breast and the DIEP flap reconstruction on both`.  Hope to get it done by summer but it may be fall.

My reason for posting this is for all of you who are newly diagnosed or just beginning treatment.  This whole process is very doable.  Count on your team.  I had very few bad days but when I did, i checked out and rested.  Rely on your family and friends and by all means accept help.

As I look back it seems things went super fast.  You just have to hang in there and do know you WILL make it through.  Ask questions and don't be afraid to disagree with your team and doctors.  most of all GET A SECOND OPINION FROM A LARGE CANCER CENTER.  MD ANDERSON, MAYO CLINIC, SLOAN KETTERING AND DANA FARBER ARE ALL GOOD CHOICES.  I chose Sloan Kettering and saw DR Tiffany Traina.  She made changes in my treatment plan and ran tests that my home cancer center never mentioned.  I feel I owe her the success I have found and possibly my life.

Hang in there and take one day at a time!  You will make it and be proud you did!

Ann Sovey
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 8:40pm
Ann,

Congratulations!  Thank you for sharing your experience as it will help others.  Going through this you realize you are stronger than you think.  You made it!

I always said the anticipation of everything scared me the most.  Our fears and worries can get the best of us.

May you continue with only good news and success with your final surgery/reconstruction.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 7:15pm
Congratulations! Navigating the US medical system is really hard, my wife has a great team with Dr. Mary Wilde (I actually think she saved my wife's life) at UCSanDiego/Scripps,La Jolla, California   she had a small saline implant, which is now leaking, because of subsequent radiation, my wife desn't want to do anything about it.(we are 69 yrs old) She has a-fib problem with her heart, it's hard to say if it was because of all her chemo, because her Mom had heart problems, so she is taking Eliquis blood thinner, Taxol causes heart muscle damage, and she had much, but her PET scans are negative for cancer, so we have the faith that as of today she is NED (No Evidence of Disease) We are on Medicare now, and Scripps/La Jolla has had my wife in the hands of UCSD (nearby)Dr. Kurzrock who is head of molecular cancer, my wife's oncologist (Sinclair) at Scripps/San Diego told her she had as much chemo as she could have, and he referred her to UCSD, where they did a bunch of genetic testing, of her tissue and blood, and they came up with a mutation and they have an FDA drug to combat it, if she has a recurrance.

Edited by gordon15 - Mar 17 2019 at 8:00pm
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 11:38pm
Congrats Ann!! You truly did have an extra hard road to travel. You are a warrior, and an inspiration to all of us.
Best wishes with the reconstruction. Do you already have a skin expander on the radiation side? If not, I have a suggestion for you.... I had complications from previous radiation when I attempted reconstruction. I discovered the problem could have been avoided if my plastic surgeon had made a different choice.

And congrats to you and your wife Gordon! I don't blame her for opting out of further surgery. I've made the same choice, not to mess with it anymore. I'm lucky like your wife, I too have an amazing partner that wants me healthy and happy, and supports every decision I make. Your devotion to her is an inspiring as well.

The U.S. Healthcare system is broken. Insurance executives making obscene money by denying care to The sick and injured are criminals. The For Profit medical system is evil and wrong, it's making us a less than first world country. Shameful.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic