FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DENTAL THERAPY AFTER CHEMO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DENTAL THERAPY AFTER CHEMO
    Posted: Jan 13 2011 at 6:02am

Hi all...

Do you know how much time must passed after chemo to start dental therapy?
I know that it must pass some time but don't know how long...
My mum is trying to find out.....
She will start removing crowns( from porcelain to zirconium), change of black fillings to wihite, some repairs etc.Some time has to be passed after chemo and radiation and don't know how much..
Does any of you have or had this  dental repairs after chemo?

All the best to you and thank you for all your help and advice!!

krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2011 at 7:02am
Hi,
Talk with your mother's doctor when the dental work should begin. Her situation is unique as it is for all of us. I ended up having a root canal three months after finishing all of my treatments and did fine.
Take care.
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2011 at 1:32pm
Wish i had some advice but my oncologist had me get all dental treatment done prior to chemo
TripleTip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TripleTip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2011 at 7:40pm
I am a dentist.  Whenever I see a patient post cancer treatment it is always with their medical oncologist's approval.
Lump discovered May 07
Stage IIa, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, SNB, 2/5 nodes +
4 DD A/C, 10/12 Taxol
Radiation 28 with 5 boosts
BRCA2+
PBM with free TRAM, Salpingo oophorectomy Dec 08
overwhelmed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overwhelmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2011 at 7:59pm
Triple Tip,

Does that include cleanings?  I've been wondering the same thing since it's time for a cleaning. 
Lori
DX ILC TNBC 3/10 at 50, Stage IIb; Grade 3; 5.1 to 7 cm,SNB neg;TC-6 rnds, 30 rads, Avastin-18 rnds, BRAC 1&2-
TripleTip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TripleTip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2011 at 8:35pm
I see a few Stage IV patients during their chemo breaks with their oncologists' permission for their dental exams and cleanings.  Most patients who complete their cancer treatment won't even think about coming to see their dentist until they are feeling well and have some distance from their medical issues.  If your CBC is normal post-treatment and your heart function has been unaffected by chemo, then you're okay for most dental treatment.  Cleanings cause a minor transient bacteremia and if your white count isn't normal this wouldn't be a good thing to have done.  Personally, my blood count was normal before I started radiation, which was a month after my chemo was over.  Would I have had a cleaning?  Although I was feeling quite good a month after chemo, I would have waited until I was done with treatment and definitely would not have had x-rays that year unless there was a dental problem.  I never did stop flossing during chemo or brushing like a maniac.  Great oral hygiene on a daily basis is more important than making that six-month recall appointment.
Lump discovered May 07
Stage IIa, Grade 3
4 DD A/C, 10/12 Taxol
BRCA2+
TripleTip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TripleTip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2011 at 8:47pm
Tasoulla,
My advice is your mum should wait to do optional dental treatment until she's feeling well and her blood work is normal. (perhaps, after her first 3 month oncology exam and her physician tells her she's good to go)

Lump discovered May 07
Stage IIa, Grade 3
4 DD A/C, 10/12 Taxol
BRCA2+
overwhelmed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overwhelmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2011 at 9:02pm
Thanks so much Triple Tip.  I actually had an appt scheduled that got snowed out earlier this week.  Now I realize I need to get the okay from the med onc before going.  I am not sure of my blood counts, but I do tend to bleed because of the Avastin I am getting.  I am flossing and brushing like crazy too.

Lori

DX ILC TNBC 3/10 at 50, Stage IIb; Grade 3; 5.1 to 7 cm,SNB neg;TC-6 rnds, 30 rads, Avastin-18 rnds, BRAC 1&2-
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2011 at 12:32am
Thank you Triple Tip for the advice.

She has to remove 2 crowns because are not fit well and she has to choose between all ceramic, procelain and zirconium crown.Her dentist advice zirconium because doesn;'r gave metal but i'm thinking that maube has titanium in the zirconium that cause cancer. What is please your advice?
As for the black fillings, slowly - slowly she will replace them with white fillings.What is your opinion?

All the best!
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2011 at 12:36am
Hi Krisa,

What root canal do you have? Porcelain, ceramic or zirconium?
She started the therapy know but she will continue slowly, slowly.....
It is better to have good hygiene in the mouth..everything is passing form there(bacteria, etc).

denise07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denise07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2011 at 4:36pm
My onc said no to dental work during my chemo,my teeth actually started chipping during chemo and here I am 3 years later still having dental work done because of the chemo. I do not think they like you to have dental work done during chemo because of the risk of infection,but I stared my dental worh about a month after I finished my chemo.
Canova06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canova06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2018 at 6:30am
My aunt is going for her tooth extraction to dentist Redondo Beach next week and she was getting chemo for a very long time. I will confirm her about this. It is good to see her recover from cancer. I just wish that everything goes well in her life now. And I will get back to you with complete information.

Edited by Canova06 - Sep 25 2018 at 6:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic