FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chemosensitivity testing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gami43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gami43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemosensitivity testing
    Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 3:59pm
Question Just learned of recurrance last week.  Had bil mastctomy for TNBC w/matrix producing carcinoma. Now another tumor in same breast.  Previous surgery Nov 2010 w/chemo ending in April 2011.  Awaiting results of PET/CT scan done 2 days ago.  Prev chemo FEC & Taxotere.  I will have lumpectomy, then radiation, then more chemo.  I am interested in chemo sensitivity testing and have the name of Rational Therapeutics, Caris and Weisenthal Labs.  Does anyone know anything about these labs or have you had this done?   I've got to decide if I am going to do this soon so I can get to going w/treatment plan.  Appreciate any info or thoughts you have.  Thanks so much. 
Teresa
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 4:32pm
Dear Teresa,
I have no experience with chemo sensitivity testing, but I think it is a good thing.  Especially since you are facing treatment for a second time.   I pray that you will get the information you need soon to help with a good treatment plan. 

Good Luck & God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
majjers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majjers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 1:31pm
Hi Teresa,
Never heard of the sensitivity testing. If you are not comfortable with your treatment options, get a second opinion! I understand the need for timely treatment but you need to be knowledgeable, understand everything, and be comfortable with it yourself.

Blessings,
Traci
dx 5/25/07, Stage 2A,TNGr3
DD 4 AC,4 Taxol
32 rads
BRCA 1&2 (-)
7/11 mets to lung; Too many lines of chemo to list! The saga continues but only GOD numbers my days!
KayLu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KayLu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2013 at 12:22am
My oncologist had my tumor cells tested by Caris a few months ago because I didn't achieve a PCR. The results came back with a few leads - capecitabine (Xeloda) was apparently pretty effecitve. A second oncologist I recently saw for a consultation told me that chemosensitivity testing is a good idea. It doesn't guarantee that the chemo drug that works in the lab will work on your cancer, but theoretically it should.
Lee21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2013 at 11:20am
KayLu
Thank you for sharing the information re: Caris.  Was this covered by your insurance? Also, does your oncologist plan to act on that information (Xeloda)?
Lee
12/9/11 @59,IDC,grade3, TNBC,3cm(MRI),SLNB0,stage IIA, BRCA1 variant
1/30/12 DD AC-T, 6/7/12 Lumpectomy, ypT1b(0.8 cm), 7/9/12 Rads x 30
11/9/12, clinical trial cisplatin/rucaparib, cisplatin-only arm
KayLu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KayLu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 12:02am
Hi Lee,
I believe my insurance covered the Caris testing. As for whether my dr will use the Xeloda, I don't know yet, but I would like her to. I am currently still undergoing radiation, but she and I are both interested in more treatment to try to prevent recurrence. The Xeloda is her plan B; plan A is a clinical trial that I am not particularly eager to participate in (cisplatin with or without a PARP inhibitor - I do not have the BRCA mutation, and cisplatin was tested by Caris without very good results, so I'm not crazy about the trial). I have an appointment after my radiation ends in a few weeks.   I saw another dr last week for a second opinion, and he thougth my concerns about the cisplatin -PARP inhibitor trial was valid, and he also thought the Xeloda option was a good one. He and I discussed other, out-of-state clinical trials as well, but my preference is the Xeloda.
Kelly
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2013 at 9:11pm
Caris Life Sciences’ 5,500-Plus Breast Cancer Study Offers Biomarker Targets In Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Therapy

Caris Life Sciences presented a breast cancer study at the 2013 CTCR-AACR San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium this week in San Antonio, TX.  Caris Life Sciences is a leading biosciences company involved with personalized medicine.  Their work involves identifying potentially actionable treatment targets and clinical strategies for triple negative breast cancer (TNBC).  This is an aggressive, difficult-to-treat cancer that accounts for nearly 10-15 percent of all breast cancers in the U.S..  Their biomarker comes from the company’s tumor profiling service, Caris Molecular Intelligence.  The presentation was given by lead author Joyce O’Shaughnessy, M.D., from Baylor Sammons Cancer Center.

According to O’Shaughnessy, “While metastatic triple negative breast cancer may be responsive to chemotherapy, it is very challenging to treat, as there are very few proven targeted therapies for this cancer sub-type.  The data presented in this study contributes to the growing body of research dedicated to uncovering new or unconsidered therapeutic targets and strategies for TNBC patients.”

The title of the study was “Comparison of Mutations and Protein Expression in Potentially Actionable Targets in 5,500 Triple Negative vs. Non-Triple Negative Breast Cancers”, and it looked at a large database of breast cancer tumors to identify molecular differences between sub-types as well as to find potential druggable targets for TNBC.  Mutational analysis, protein expression and gene copy number assessment were utilized in the analysis, sequencing (next-generation sequencing and Sanger), immunohistochemistry (IHC), fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) and chromogenic in situ hybridization (CISH) were all necessary to gather results.

The researchers found that the androgen receptor (AR) was expressed in 50 percent of ER-HER2+ breast cancer patients and 18 percent of TNBC individuals studied, suggesting its potential as a target.  Most all AR+ cancers presented with a PIK3CA mutation of PTEN loss/mutation, indicating that combined AR and PIK3AC targeted treatments should be evaluated as a potential treatment strategy.  EGFR gene amplification was different between cancer types so they may need to be considered as a predictive marker in trials of EGFR inhibitor treatments.  The researchers believe that multi-platform molecular profiling is needed to identify targetable genomic and proteomic alterations in poor prognosis cancer.

http://bionews-tx.com/news/2013/12/19/caris-life-sciences-5500-plus-breast-cancer-study-offers-biomarker-targets-in-triple-negative-breast-cancer-therapy/

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic