Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Catscan with barium & IV contrast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PAGIRL65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAGIRL65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catscan with barium & IV contrast
    Posted: May 14 2018 at 6:07pm
rHi all, 
I recently had a follow-up visit in April with my oncologist. Everything is fine and I've finally moved on to yearly visits with her now. Next April 2019, prior to the visit, she scheduled me for a chest/abdominal catscan with Barium & Contrast.  She told me she does this with all her patients who have gone through surgery, chemo & radiation. Is this unusual? Even my breast surgeon (who I had an appt. with a week later) was surprised when I mentioned it to her. Anyone else ever had to do this?
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 10:11am
After both of my diagnoses this was one of the tests I did. Along with a bone scan,and this last time a PET scan. It's a good way to get a look at everything in your torso - all your organs including reproductive and digestive systems. Remember that with all scans like this they usually find _something_ that warrants further testing, and the vast majority of the time it's nothing. You've lived in that body, and it leaves marks! The first go round I was sent for further testing on my ovary (ultrasound showed a normal fluid filled cyst), a spot on my lung and a spot on a back rib (xray showed they were scars, from a respiratory virus and a healed crack on my rib, probably from a car wreck 10 years prior). This time it was my thyroid and a sinus cavity. Ultrasound and blood work showed normal thyroid inflammation (done again 6 months later it was gone) and an unpleasant lil scope up my nose showed scar from sinus polyps. My point is - don't freak out when Things show up, lol. All that followup is why doctors (and insurance companies) are reluctant to do regular scans.
If you've not had this test before I'd be surprised, but that would explain why they ordered it.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/17 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
PAGIRL65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAGIRL65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 2:55pm
Kellyless,
Thanks for the info. My sister-in-law, a 11 years BC survivor, had told me I would be going to doctors and and having tests for the rest of my life. No surprise there, I guess. I am thankful every day for seeing another sunrise and sunset. I have my husband, children, grandkids and friends for support. Everyday is a blessing!Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic