Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carboplatin in Canada?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jilldv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jilldv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carboplatin in Canada?
    Posted: Oct 28 2017 at 11:19pm
Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone in Canada has been given carbo with their taxable chemo (Docetaxel/taxol)?

I asked my onc about it and she's given me a hard 'no' twice, stating there isn't enough evidence to support it. I've read the prelim studies and I would prefer to try it if I can!

Thansk!
I see a lot of women in the US receive it, along with some in Aus.

rosewater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosewater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2017 at 2:15am
Hi Jill,
I'm in Vancouver and was given 2 x carboplatin along with my final taxols. This was in the summer of 2014. I had been waiting all summer to find out whether or not I was BRCA+. My oncologist told me that if I was BRCA +, she would consider adding it to my taxol treatments. Around my 9th taxol, we finally got the results back that I was BRCA2+, so she added carboplatin to my 9th and 12th treatments. I would've possibly had a third one added if we had found out my results earlier.

It wasn't easy for me to get the carboplatin added. I pretty much begged my oncologist to add it. She had to write to a committee at the hospital and was denied. I begged her to ask again, which she did, and the second time they agreed to her request. So, it wasn't easy.

Are you BRCA+
DX IDC TNBC 03/14 age 40, Stage 1, Grade 3, 2cm, 0/4Nodes, lumpectomy 04/14, DD A/C x4, Taxol x12, Carboplatin x2, BMX 10/14, rads x28 Finished Jan 14/15, Oopherectomy Jan 29/15 BRCA 2+
Jilldv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jilldv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2017 at 2:48am
That's very interesting, thanks for sharing. See, I was wondering is there were some protocol restrictions etc. I'm in Alberta, but I wonder if it's the same.

I haven't received my genetic testing results yet - but I doubt that I will be BRCA +. But who knows anymore! I also didn't think I had cancer for the longest time.

I think I'll ask again before my second docetaxel. I'm sure it will drive her crazy, but it's my life we're dealing with here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic