FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brenda Funk/Analemma is an angel.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CarynRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarynRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brenda Funk/Analemma is an angel.
    Posted: Apr 18 2010 at 7:43am

Brenda Roberts Funk, who joined here in 2005 and was known as analemma, passed away on Thursday.

She was an incredible person...wonderful artist, loving mom and grandmother, devoted wife and amazing child of the moon.

I don't know if anyone had posted her loss here, so I wanted to make sure all her friends at TNBC knew.

We love you, Brenda.

Orig dx 6/03 - St.2a, IDC
gr.3,0 nodes, TNBC/BRCA1+
7/07 St 4 mets to nodes/lungs. PACA/Rads NED 11/07-10/08
Lepto mets 10/08
Rads for 4 brain tumors 4/10.
Leptomets return 6/10
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2010 at 8:03am
Dear Caryn,

a thread was started on Talk by Mary in Sarasota. Glad you started one in tributes as well..

http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/the-passing-of-our-dear-brenda_topic6127.html

love,

Steve

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2010 at 11:43am
I am so sad to learn of Brenda's passing.  My condolences to her family and friends.Broken Heart
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 11:14am
I'm going to paste in the two thread we started in Talk where many posted their condolences for this incredible woman, starting first with one when she was close to leaving the earth but not yet departed.
Love,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 11:15am

MaryinSarasota View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MaryinSarasota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BrendaF
    Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 8:02am
For those of you who know Brenda Funk, Brenda's husband Greg wishes this to be posted from Facebook.

Brenda chose to have hospice care at home in early February. The Cleveland Clinic Home Hospice has provided us with all of the medications and equipment needed to support that, and a nurse that checks with us twice a week. I have provided all of the care (and have been off work since early March), with the exception of about an hour daily during which one of our sons or a friend comes over to relieve me so that I can shop and run errands. We have been given everything that we need to keep her comfortable and relatively pain free during the entire time. Up until just before Easter, although she had been getting increasingly weak and had more and more trouble communicating, I can genuinely say that we had good, close and satisfying, if not fun, times. We were able to have few more drinks on the porch, and trips outside to see the flowers when the weather was nice. We even got back out in the car once, and drove through the park. But, just before Easter, her condition took a nose dive, and at this point she's just existing, although she still has some cognizance. She essentially quit eating about 5 days ago, and yesterday, she pretty well quit taking in fluids.
She is resting comfortably at our home in her own bed; something she said that she really wanted, and I expect that she'll be here until her end which can't be too far away.
53 at diagnosis. Dx 5/08 Stage 1, grade 3, IDC 1.6 cm, 0 nodes, TNBC, lumpectomy, chemo TAC six rounds, radiation 34 treatments
Finished December 18, 2008
NED-Oct 2009
123Donna View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 8:23am
Mary,

Thanks for letting us know.  I'll be praying for her and her family.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5 nodes,BRCA-
6/09 bilat mastectomy-tissue exp,11/09 exchange surgery
Taxotere/CytoxanX4, finished 9/09, 11/09 CT Liver Scan Clear, (S0307)Clodronate
Bonnie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 8:28am

Mary:  I will be praying for Brenda and her family.  It makes me incredibly sad to hear of another one of ours succumbing to this horrible disease.

Bonnie - Daughter Ashley dx TNBC 8/20/09 @ age 22; St3, Gr3, 4/18 nodes, BRCA 1/2-; ACx4, Ixempra x4, finished 2/18/10; 3/11/10 mets to lung & nodes; g/c began 3/15/10
CarynRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CarynRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 10:30am
It breaks my heart to hear about Brenda.  I will always remember her sense of humor and pithiness as well as her stubborness for life.  She and I travelled similar paths and I consider her one of my inspirations and mentors.  I wish her peace, an easy passing, and comfort for all those who love her.

Love,
Caryn
7/07 St 4 mets to lymph node and lungs. PACA/Rads NED 11/07-10/08
Leptomeningeal mets 10/08 3/09-CSF benign
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 11:04am
Brenda  became a very good friend to me first through this site and then through facebook.    We talked a lot about living and dying, gardening and family, friendship and love.   She has the most amazing husband, Greg, and just stellar sons, daughters-in-law and grandchildren.   Her youngest son is getting married this summer in her incredible yard.  Of course, she had hoped to be there for that, and was worried that if she didn't manage to hang on until then the occasion would be brushed with sadness, which she really didn't want.  Her ripple in the pond has been big and suffused with goodness.   Truly a gem of a human being, so smart and funny and wise.   I have grown to love her and had hoped to visit her in person, but didn't act quick enough.    f**k THIS DISEASE.  f**k CANCER.  We need to banish it from the earth.

Sadly yours,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,no nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/18/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker & leg lump. NED
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 11:27am
Hey, I thought I'd post Greg's last post on Brenda's blog (early March, after she stopped being able to communicate easily but before this most recent decline).  It is just stunning, and will give those of you who haven't been fortunate to get to know her an idea of the kind of person she is, and what her family is like.   Be prepared to cry.

----------------------------
Sunday, March 7

Bunny

This is a note from Greg, Bunny's husband, and may be the last post on this site. Bunny can no longer organize her thoughts to be able to communicate the lovely, knowing insights and anecdotes that her previous postings contained due to the progression of her disease. Now, she and I take our pleasure where we can. Fried chicken for dinner. Biscuits made by her recipe. Laughter. Sushi at home. Holding hands in the bed while watching TV. Talking sweet to each other, and enjoying each other's company the best that we still can.

Life is a predetermined tragedy because it must always end in death. For some, that final act is delayed until the point that it has run out of love, or meets up with pure exhaustion. For others, it comes unwelcome in the midst of what might have been the golden years. We have been luckier than most. We have fine, strong sons who have all met and managed to make couples with wonderful women. They have become the type of men that anyone could wish for: strong, intelligent, kind, caring and proud. Not proud in a destructive, self centered sense, but the pride that comes from doing important things, raising fine children and supporting others in the best ways that they can. They love their mother, and long to find some way to help her through this condition, to somehow make everything better; and are saddened with the knowledge that, try as they might, at this point there is nothing more anyone can do. Medical science, bah! For all of the advances that we have made, all of the progress and extension of life, we still have no notion of what causes or how to cure this terrible disease. And cancer treatment is mostly voodoo. We exorcise the demon with surgery, and then try to poison the body to a level just short of killing the patient in the hope that the cancer will die first. For the lucky, sometimes it does. But in the case of the triple negative breast cancer patients, that is seldom the case.

But please don't take my rant for ingratitude. Bunny and I have been the beneficiaries of some of the best treatments and care available. The Cleveland Clinic, for all of its flaws, has provided us with world class care at every step of the process. Great doctors, caring nurses and exceptional emotional support. And the hospice care that she now has is the best, most caring and supportive that anyone could ever imagine for this type of situation. Thanks everyone, Bunny and I know that you've tried your best, and we feel lucky to have been the beneficiaries of your efforts.

I know that my writing can never match the level that Bunny has shown in the pages that she has written on this site. I went back through some of the pages rather quickly the other evening, looking for the biscuit recipe. I stopped several times along the way. Every post is beautiful and enlightening. They all capture the best essence of human emotion and insight, and I'll be sure to keep copies for her grandchildren. But it feels like someone should add the final chapter to this story, and it must fall to me.

So here is to a life greatly lived. From the drafty old farm house that we shared in the mountains of Southwest Virginia, to our current little nature preserve on the North coast of Ohio and including the many twists and turns and outright rotations in between, I have, and still do love this woman. She as been a wonderful mother, a fine and talented artist and a great partner. She is the smartest woman I ever met. She has inspired me to do many wonderful things that I know I would never have done without her. She is my muse.

She is my proton and I am her electron. The proton and the electron form the basis for all matter, and by extension, all things, living and not. The interaction between the two creates time, matter and all of the beauty around us. Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe, and it consists only of the immortal dance between the proton and the electron. Always attracted, but almost never touching, except for maybe a kiss now and then. And sometimes, in the bowels of the stars, the two become one, and it is the merging of the them that creates the unstable, yet necessary and charge balanced neutron and in the process of becoming one, engenders the energy that we call light; that elusive phenomenon that can travel the breadth of the universe, yet has no mass or true substance. It is the love of the proton for the electron, and vice-versa, that creates everything that we know and feel.

And so, this is my dedication to you, my darling. May the love that you have shown and shared stand out like the white hot light from a bright young star. Let that love be propagated in the love of your progeny, to go forth like the ripples in a pond and touch the countless others that you could never reach. Let that love help us to one day understand that we are, in fact, all interconnected and that the suffering of one is a tragedy for us all. And may you find peace, beauty and contentment.

And in keeping with the theme of this blog: Daddy's Pan Fried Chicken

As with most recipies, the trick is in the preparation, and so it is with pan fried chicken. First, put the meat in a bath of warm, salty water. This is especially good if the chicken is still a little bit frozen, because the warm water will nicely complete the thaw. You should use a lot of salt at this phase because it will not penetrate the meat too much and a high salt content will kill the bad bacterias while you brine. I like about a tablespoon or more per gallon. This process should be started at least 4 hours before you intend to fry, and 6 hours would be better.

Once you are about 1 - 2 hours preceding frying you need to add the breading. I favor a simple flour mix. Get a large plastic bag. One of the zipping type is the best, but any relatively heavy, water tight bag will do. Drain and rinse the chicken and let it stand for a few minutes. Put enough flour in the bag to cover the chicken. I know that this is a little vague, but too much just means that you have a little left to throw away and too little just means that you neeed to add more, so there's very little penalty for not judging correctly the first time.

Add seasoning and spices to taste to the flour in the bag and mix by tossing. I like to add fresh ground pepper in addition to salt, and other dried spices (11 herbs and seasonings!) would be best to add at this point too, but I generally tend to keep it simple for chicken. Put the chicken in the bag and shake until all of the chicken is well covered with flour. Shake it again in a half hour. And again, letting it stand for at least 15 minutes after the last shake.

Now is the time to heat up the oil. Put about 3/8 - 1/2 inch in the pan. While I don't believe that the type of oil makes much difference, as long as it's clean, the pan does. Cast iron is really the only choice. Since the cast iron is so heavy, it moderates the heat well, and allows you a great deal of flexibility in the heating process. Once you get the temperature up, you can cut the heat way down low once you put in the chicken and just kind of see how the boiling settles, adding in more heat as required.

Real cooks measure the temperature of the oil with these specialized tools called thermometers. I do not. I look for the oil to get kind of shimmery and to start to smell hot before I put in the chicken. My guess is that that's about 350 degrees. You want to keep the chicken frying vigorously, but not burn it or the oil. Constant attention is best. Oh, and before you start, get one of those screen things that will cover your cast iron pan. They come in both screened and woven metal strip models, but will save you an ocean's worth of cleaning supplies. The open mesh lets the steam through and not the oil that would otherwise be popping out of the pot.

I cook until the bird pieces look done enough, and have the right feel (I use tongs, not my fingers). They should look golden brown and should still feel squishy below the crunch when you pick them up with the tongs. If it's golden on the outside, the chances are, its done. It's important to leave enough room around each piece in the pan, so it will usually require more than one batch. If this is the case, then put a rack on a baking sheet in the over and set it for way low. If your oven does not havce a setting below 200 degrees, turn it off when it gets up to temperature. After drying cooked parts on a paper towel, put the chicken on the rack in the oven until serving.

The amount of flour that you were able to coat the chicken with will determine the thickness of the coating, but with this method you can get a nice crunchy piece that is tender and juicy inside and cooked to a tee. This technique works well for chicken livers and gizzards, too, but I'm not sure how many others are fond of that delicacy. Just use the same techniques, but much less oil.

I made it last night, served with skin-on mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus, and it all came out just right. My baby said that she wanted fried chicken, and she made sure that I cooked plenty.

DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,no nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/18/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker & leg lump. NED

Post Options Post Options   Quote MaryinSarasota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 11:59am
Thanks D for posting this. Makes it easier for all to get a tiny glimpse of Brenda.

It is really hard to see it come down to this.

Greg, if you read this I just wanted to say she was one of the first people I met on this site and she is one really cool chick.

♥ Mary
53 at diagnosis. Dx 5/08 Stage 1, grade 3, IDC 1.6 cm, 0 nodes, TNBC, lumpectomy, chemo TAC six rounds, radiation 34 treatments
NED-Oct 2009
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:46pm
Bless you for letting us know about Brenda's life with you and the children!
Bless you for honouring her wishes to stay at home.  Not too many men can do that!
Bless you for giving Brenda the ground to be the most wonderful person she could be!
Bless you for loving Brenda like no other on this earth has loved another!
Bless you for including Brenda's FAMILY here at TNBC Foundation!
Bless you in the next part of your journey together!
May the Lord of all Bless you in a special way when the time comes to say "See ya" never goodbye!
God bless you and your family during this heartbreaking time.
Your sister on the journey, Helen in NS  PS:  Tell her we love her!
Helen in NS
Diag 57 TNBC 04/09
SN biopsy neg
2.5 cm Stage2 gr3 quad 05/09
TCx4 07/09 Comp 10/09
Rad x 16 12/09 Comp 12/31/09
CT 03/01/10 FU 03/31/10 rad/med/onc NED
GYN 04/23/10 oophorectomy?
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 2:16pm
I have printed out all of her entries on her blog--i reread them from time to time..i love the way brenda thought about her family and the wonderful recipes she shared. i have brenda 
and her family in my prayers.
Broken Heart
NinaE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NinaE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 2:14am
The love Greg and Brenda show for each other is an inspiration. I hope they will continue to find comfort in that love these next days and weeks.
Stage IV at dx in Dec 09, at age 38. Mets to nodes and lung.
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 11:16am

Post Options Post Options   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BrendaF
    Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:45am
Dear Greg and Brenda,

I am sorry I did not know Brenda better but I certainly feel I do now...

Greg, thank you for sharing your beautiful expression of love for your dear Bunny..

I wish you both some peace as the final days approach.

If you feel it might be helpful for you and your family I would like to send you a copy of "Graceful Passages" that was recommended to me by a bereavement counselor when I lost my best friend of 45 years several years ago to lung cancer. It would be an honor for me to send you a copy..

just PM me your address or if Mary can do it, please.

your love stands as a beacon for all of us...

Steve

p.s. thank you Mary and thank you Denise and especially thank you Brenda and Greg..
I am a BRCA1(187delAG)+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter, inherited the mutation from me, and at age 36, was dx 2004 TNBC
75%invasive quandrantectomy,PBM,LAVH/BSO
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 11:18am

Post Options Post Options   Quote MaryinSarasota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The passing of our Dear Brenda
    Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 10:04am
Mary, Brenda has just died this morning. She was lying in her bed, and I was next to her, holding her hand while I was reading her a letter and the Facebook posts that you and others had sent. And then she just pretty much stopped breathing. I told her that I loved her, about all of the others that do, that she was a great partner and a wonderful best friend, that she had a great life and did many good things. I kissed her and stroked her hair. I continued to tell her as she gasped her last few dying breaths. It was just the way she said that she wanted to go. Her struggle is over; we'll all have to get by on what we've already learned from her now.

Please let her TNBC friends know that she is gone. Thanks,

Greg

Like the rest of you I am so saddened by this loss. Brenda was a very different spark of light in our little group.
♥Mary

Edited by MaryinSarasota - 15 Apr 2010 at 10:16am
NED-Oct 2009
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 10:31am
Dear Greg,

thank you for sharing the beautiful loving, story and Mary, thank you, too

you have my heartfelt condolences,

Steve
I am a BRCA1(187delAG)+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter, inherited the mutation from me, and at age 36, was dx 2004 TNBC
75%invasive quandrantectomy,PBM,LAVH/BSO
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 10:56am
Oh, man.  I knew it was coming, but it is still wrenching.  My tears are falling for a great spirit gone too soon.
Love,
Denise
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 11:09am
I am soooo sorry....my tears are falling as well....my prayers for her family and friends..
Carol-66yrs old at DX 06/08
TN IDC Nodes neg 2.0CM
Stage 11 Grade lll
Mast. 07/08 A/C x4 and Tax x4 Rads x35 7 Boost
Craniotomy 09/08 Hemangioma
Recurrence 07/09 Rads x28
NED 01/20/2010
msm082455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote msm082455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 11:20am

I'm so very sorry.  My prayers are going out to her family. 

Michele,PA,54
Dx 8-04,IDC, Gr.3,3 CM
Lumpectomy w/SNB,9-04,clear margins,Triple Negative
4A/C,4TA,Rads
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 11:21am
The Little Ship

I stood watching as the little ship sailed out to sea
The setting sun tinted her white sails with a golden light and as she disappeared from sight a voice at my side whispered, "She is gone"

But the sea was a narrow one. On the farther shore a little band of friends had gathered to watch and wait in happy expectation. Suddenly they caught sight of the very tiny sail and, at the very moment when my companion had whispered "She is gone", a glad shout went up in joyous welcome. "Here she comes"!! 
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor
3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 treatments finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT scan clear
lisab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lisab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 1:00pm
Dear Greg, I am so sorry to hear this.  You have my deepest sympathy. 

Love and hugs,

Lisa B.
Diagnosed June 2004. Lumpectomy and radiation. PBM w/DIEP Recon March 2005. Mets in chest wall June 2007. Chemo (Gemzar and Carboplatin) with radiation completed January 2008.
outnumbered View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote outnumbered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 3:12pm
MY deepest sympathies....
~Sara Age 42

DX 6/24/08 Stage 1 Grade 3 BRCA1+
Bilat-nipple-areola-sparing mastectomy 8/5/08
Revision (remove nipple and areola) w/ Lat Flap 7/6/09
Supracervical Hysterectomy BSO 9/3/09
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 5:14pm
Dear Greg,

Deepest sympathies from me and my daughter Lori.
Sincerely,
Nancy
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
peach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote peach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 5:46pm

I am so sad to hear this news she will be missed by many.

Pat

Dx 5/07 TNBC
IDC Stg.2, Gr.2,
Sentinel node 0/1 BRCA-
Lumpectomy,Chemo(AC-T DD)Rads
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 11:19am
MsBliss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MsBliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The passing of our Dear Brenda
    Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 7:14pm
Oh my goodness, Mainy, your words...are so beautiful. 

I did not get to know Brenda but from what I see here, I feel I would have been so grateful to have been her friend. 

My deepest condolences to her family and many friends.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 7:20pm
Greg,

You and your family have my deepest sympathies.  I am so sorry for your loss.

Mary,

Thanks for updating us about Brenda.  I saw her picture on Facebook and could see all the love she had surrounded by her family.

Donna

PS:  Mainy, your words were beautiful.
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5 nodes,BRCA-
6/09 bilat mastectomy-tissue exp,11/09 exchange surgery
Taxotere/CytoxanX4, finished 9/09, 11/09 CT Liver Scan Clear, (S0307)Clodronate
ryleigh0605 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ryleigh0605 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 8:03pm
I am so sorry to hear that you have lost someone dear to your heart.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Diana, mother of 2, grandmother of 3
dx 8/07
IDC with medullary features, 1.87cm grade 3, stage 1, 1 node-neg, BRCA neg, Biateral 9/07, ACx4
CarynRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CarynRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:41am
Leave it to Brenda....she's still on my Facebook -- playing Farmville!!!

G-dspeed my friend.

Love,
Caryn
7/07 St 4 mets to lymph node and lungs. PACA/Rads NED 11/07-10/08
Leptomeningeal mets 10/08 3/09-CSF benign
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:20pm
This is so very sad, Greg I am so sorry for your loss and yes what a very loving story.

My condolences to you, her friends and family.

Like Caryn she is also on my facebook page busy as a bee.Broken   Heart
Pam

Stage 2 gr 3 dx 12/02 AC&T
Stage 1 gr 3 dx 2/07 Second Primary - Taxotere
BRCA 1+
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 11:25am
This might not be cool, but I'm going to post some of the things people wrote on her FB wall too.   I just really want to honor her, and the more voices articulating how special she was, the better.     
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 11:26am
Paxdora Kosmosian Sweet Bunny, this serene music reminds me of you...

The Other Side
www.paxdoraunlimited.com
3 hours ago · Comment · Like · Share

Paxdora Kosmosian You were stardust/you are stardust...and you were always golden to everyone who met you, whether near or far away...Brenda, it was a privilege to have known you.
3 hours ago · Comment · Like

Web Writer I love you. Bunny Bren! Thank you for sharing yourself with me. I promise to do omy best to live up to the dreams you inspired and the example you set--so much richer than the track I was on! Thank you, Greg, for sharing her will all of us who needed her zest so much! (FB won't let me post the whole thing...so I will just end with attending the May1st celebration in spirit, and visiting her tree in my mind as often as possible!) ♥
10 hours ago · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Brenda Roberts Funk Webbie, I've been trying to think of the right words to say to you, but I'm going to blunder on anyway lest the impetus be lost. It really does give me comfort to read your words. To know that Bunny touched your life in this manner, to that depth and that your scan was clear are all thoughts that make me glad. May you never hear anything different.
I especially appreciate your referencing and posting the link to her blog. There is so much of her in there and, I think, many meaningful insights into living. I am glad for those writings to be shared because I think that they're wonderful. Good luck with your project.
Greg
2 hours ago
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 11:27am
onnie Rosalind Dearest Brenda ~ remarkable woman, so strong, so passionate about life and love and justice. I will think of you when the moon is full, when I see a field of brightly colored flowers, when I bake a fresh loaf of bread. My heart goes out to your family and friends, so blessed to have had you in their lives. I wish we had had the chance to meet in person, my "over the internets" friend. Goodnight, sweet Brenda. ♥
Yesterday at 7:59pm · Comment · Like

Malcolm Davis What can one say? A huge hole is left in our hearts and lives. It can never be filled, but will be cherished forever. I would dearly love to be there for Brenda's celebration. Hugs to you, Greg.
Sat at 6:24pm · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Gina Maisano To Brenda's Family, I am so very, very sorry.

To Brenda, sweet Brenda,

I'll be seeing you

In every lovely summer's day;

In every thing that's light and gay.

I'll always think of you that way.

I'll find you

In the morning sun

And when the night is new.

I'll be looking at the moon,

But I'll be seeing you.

I'll always love you,
Gina
Sat at 4:23pm · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall
3 people like this.

Emily Lacklen Foster Greg and boys,
The world is darker without Bunny's sunshine, but Heaven is so much brighter. Wishing you peace and strength.
Sat at 12:53pm · Comment · Like
2 people like this.

Joan Rizzo We are stardust. We are golden.
Fri at 10:00am · Comment · Like
Mary DeWeese Hubley and Arlene Tallbacka Lehtinen like this.

Kathy Cole ...and we've got to get back to the garden!
Fri at 2:12pm

Tristan Funk Pops was tillin' this morning
Fri at 4:28pm

Frank Thompson Funk Family, please let us know what the funeral plans are and where we can send flowers or do whatever we need to to honor Bun.
Fri at 8:45am · Comment · Like

Brenda Roberts Funk Frank, Bun never wanted a funeral or memorial service. She wanted a party, and that's what we're planning for May 1st at the house that we built. You're welcome to come. Please send any pictures that you think would be good to show, like the ones that you posted, we'll be setting up a slide show in the house with photos of her. She already planed the flowers around the house.
Greg
Fri at 9:01am

Frank Thompson That sounds like Bun. I'd sure be there if I could. I'll definitely be there in spirit. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.
Fri at 9:07am

Shirley Shepherd Hart That sounds so like Brenda....not wanting a sad traditional service, but a Party....hats off to a wonderful lady! Greg, you're in my thoughts. What an ANGEL God has now!
Fri at 9:11am

Cathy Lewis I'm so lucky to have known you, Brenda. I'm remembering your pottery class, how patient and skilled you were with me. I could have cared less about my own pieces, I mostly just liked watching you work the clay! You left the world a better place than you found it, and left a huge trail of love in your wake. The care...
See More
Fri at 8:35am · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Whitney Treloar Love, love and more love to you all. What a tremedous loss for all of us. Brenda made this world better, smarter, prettier, more civil. She made you men better men. I am grateful to have shared her world briefly. We have all been blessed. I send my heartfelt sympathy and support to you.
Fri at 5:39am · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Betty Jo Taylor Our thoughts and prayers are with you Bun and your entire family.
Fri at 2:25am · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Candace Klehr I was stroking the rim of a bowl Brenda made - it rings in a perfect middle C. Glorious, shiny brown glaze. A familiar poem, "The Dash", says it all. Condolences to her family and friends.
April 15 at 9:28pm · Comment · Like

Gina D'Innocenzio Petretta My deepest sympathy to all of Brenda's family we never met, but she was a TNBC friend and always had sweet inspirational things to say, thoughts and prayers with u all, she is now a precious angel!!!
April 15 at 7:34pm · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall
Michele Brown Marchesani likes this.

Michele Brown Marchesani Gina, do you know how many of us are actually TNBC, survivors?
April 15 at 8:12pm

Susan Rochester Haile So glad you were part of our lives, Bun.
April 15 at 7:08pm · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall
LaJuan Kerr Tallo likes this.
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 11:28am
Denise M. Wolf Fly away, spirit, be free! Soar high above the earth, rocketing through the clouds with the whole world rendered visible and comprehensible. Shed a little more of that golden light on those you've left behind in your wake, sparkly as stardust. So wrenching to say goodbye, but maybe from where you stream, aloft, the tears all fall like raindrops to land in an ocean of goodness. Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, hands held, goodbye, fingertips touching, goodbye, and you're off...
April 15 at 6:54pm · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Michele Brown Marchesani Just beautiful Denise. I wish I would have known Brenda. She was my "friend" here on Facebook, but I never knew her. From what I can tell, I missed out on a very special person.
April 15 at 7:11pm

Arlene Tallbacka Lehtinen I am so sorry to hear this news. I am holding you and your family close in my heart. I can't begin to express how you have influenced me. I will miss you deeply.
April 15 at 6:48pm · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Kathy Cole Holding you all in my heart.
April 15 at 6:02pm · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Shirley Shepherd Hart To the entire Funk family, my deepest deepest sympathy ! I am truly sorry! If I can do anything, Greg's got my number on a message I sent him. Brenda, beautiful wife, mother, grandmother, and dear friend will truly be missed. She was a SWEET sweet soul. God BLess you all. Heaven has received an Angel.
April 15 at 4:03pm · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Heather Crowe Earhart Brenda, terri told me this afternoon that you passed and I was not ready to hear that. Matt and Larisa - please let me know if there is anything you need.
April 15 at 3:25pm · Comment · Like

Frank Thompson Words can't express how sad this makes me. Good-bye, Bun. Catch you on the other side.
April 15 at 2:01pm · Comment · Like

Joan S. Fraley Brenda's brother just sent me a message and told me that we lost Brenda this morning. I am so sorry that we did not get to see each other again. See will be truly missed!! Goodnight cuz!
April 15 at 12:32pm · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Mary DeWeese Hubley Brenda, I am finding it hard to say goodbye. There never is enough time is there? I hope you are where your heart wants to be now that this life is over.
April 15 at 12:00pm · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Sarah Myers Macosko Though I don't really know you Brenda, I have been deeply touched by your wisdom, strength, sense of humor, yummy recipes, and courage through your blog. You are an amazing woman and I am grateful to you... May you feel safe and protected and surrounded by the love of your family and friends.
Namaste-Honoring the light in you...
April 15 at 10:33am · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Cheryl Robinson Henderson My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wonderful family!
April 15 at 8:52am · Comment · Like

Sandra Ortiz Thinking of you Brenda. You are never out of my thoughts for long. Your life and your wisdom has impacted even strangers as far away as me!! Your legacy is greater than you can imagine. xoxox
April 15 at 8:35am · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Whitney Treloar I'm sending love and support, prayers and wishes for comfort and peace and serenity. My heart and thoughts are with you all today. ♥ ♥
April 15 at 7:56am · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Rita Harvey Ivey Thinking of you Bun. You are one of the blessings in my life. My love and prayers are with you and your loved ones.
April 15 at 4:25am · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Shirley Shepherd Hart I wake up and go to sleep thinking of you Brenda....my love and thoughts are with you and your family.
April 15 at 3:53am · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Frank Thompson Thinking of you, Bun. How lucky I've been to know you.
April 14 at 8:13pm · Comment · Like

LaJuan Kerr Tallo God bless you, Bunny. Love to you and your family.
April 14 at 7:03pm · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 11:33am
One last thing:  her name here was 'BrendaF.'...you can do a search on here to find her posts.  (She was 'Analemma' on another site, I think NoSurrender and/or Inspire).
Love,
Denise

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaryinSarasota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 2:38pm
Since I cannot be in Cleveland on May 1, I will be talking to the stars that night and saying goodbye to Brenda.

Thank you for putting this up, though I hate it when this happens.

Mary
53 @ Dx 5/08 Stage 1, grade 3, IDC 1.6 cm, 0 nodes, TNBC, lumpectomy, chemo TAC-6, radiation-34 12/18/08
NED-10/09, PBM w/TE recon. 7/10, removal of TE/infec 8/10. CT chest. Rec fat-graft & stem cells
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic