FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BREAST FEEDING

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Did you breast feed your children?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [14.49%]
10 [14.49%]
33 [47.83%]
6 [8.70%]
10 [14.49%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BREAST FEEDING
    Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 5:54pm
Ladies,

Connie has asked me to set up a poll addressing breast feeding. Pam had posted an article on this subject just today, and it stated:

As reported in the journal Cancer , breast feeding for at least 6 months was found to reduce the risk for triple-negative disease (odds ratio {OR}=0.5 and to a lesser extent luminal breast cancer (OR=0.80) compared with breast feeding for less than 6 months.

Connie said that she would like to see if we can get more women to complete this poll, than the 78 cases of triple-negative that this study had reported. I have never set up a poll before, so Pam will have to tell me if I need to edit or change it in any way. I'm not even sure if the poll choices I selected are what we need.
Nancy

Edited by Nancy - Sep 09 2008 at 2:40pm
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2008 at 7:03am
Nancy the poll looks fine to me.  Maybe someone else might have a suggestion, thanks!
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
sanjoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanjoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2008 at 9:55am
I had always heard that breast feeding was a way to reduce your risk of breast cancer. I have 3 sons, all of whom I breast fed until they were a year old. Then, with no family history, at the age of 55 in June of 07 I have tnbc. So, obviously for me it didn't help, but I still would have breast fed anyway.
Sandy

dx 6/07   55 yrs
stage 2/ grade 3/ positive lymph node
neoadj chemo ACT 6 times
lumpectomy/13 lymph nodes taken
33 rad. treatments
judithscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judithscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2008 at 2:39pm
Hi,

you are asking about breast feeding, i personally feel that breast feeding is for to less breast cancer the  and you can also know more about breast feeding from via searching sites about breast feeding.

Edited by judithscott - Sep 22 2008 at 12:56pm
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2008 at 2:54pm
It surely didn't reduce my risk ! I breast fed 2 daughters for over a year each. 7 1/2 years later is when my tumor was found.
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
NancyJane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NancyJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2008 at 9:30am
Just a thought, however, there is no way to respond that you have never been pregnant.  I wonder if we should add that as an option because not breast feeding due to no pregnancy is biologically (hormonally) different than not breast feeding after a pregnancy.
41yr dx 7/25/08
Lumpectomy and ax node disection (38 nodes, all clean!) 8/12/08
T2 grd 3, N0, TN IDC
BRCA1+
ACx4,Tx12 10/08-3/09
prophylactic hyst, ooph,mast & one-step recon 3/30/09
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2008 at 2:38pm
Nancy Jane,

I will try to do what you have suggested, but I don't believe there is another space on the poll. I'll ask Pam.
Nancy

I DID IT NANCY JANE!!

Edited by Nancy - Sep 09 2008 at 2:41pm
Julia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2009 at 12:43pm
Well, breastfeeding led to slow diagnosis for me.  Because I was still nursing when I found a lump in my breast, my doc and I both assumed it was mastitis, and then an abscess.  Took about 3 months before I found out it was cancer.  Just bad luck, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic