Go To Main TNBC Website


  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Breast Abscess
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breast Abscess

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sunshine13 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: Jun 18 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Status: Offline
Points: 24
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshine13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breast Abscess
    Posted: Oct 24 2010 at 11:43pm
I was wondering if anyone has gotten an abscess in their breast during chemotherapy?
I am starting my 6th and  last cycle of gemzar/carboplaitin/BSI and this past weekend felt a large lump in my other breast.  It was hot and pink indicating infection.  They did a fine needle biopsy and aspirated the abscess,  but the cytology came back  inconclusive.  Surgeon is hoping it is infection and not a new cancer. They say it's pretty unusual to get an abscess unless you're breast feeding which I am not.  This week they may do a core biopsy to be sure it isn't cancer.  Has anyone experienced this?  It's almost something with this cancer, isn't it????Ouch
DX 6/8/10. Age 52 IDC-triple negative. Stage 3, Grade 3 - 6 cm. BRAC1+
Started neoadjuvant chemo 7/9/10 Gemzar/Carbo/BIS201 (parp drug-Stanford trial)
Back to Top
dmwolf View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 22 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 3619
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2010 at 12:27am
I haven't heard of this, but chemo does a lot of strange things so I wouldn't be that surprised if it turned out to be an infection.  Your immune system is depleted by the carbo and gemzar.   I'll be hoping and praying with you that it's not cancer.  I really don't think it is.
Hang in there!
Love,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
Back to Top
trip2 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 03 2007
Location: Under Palm Tree
Status: Offline
Points: 8549
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2010 at 6:56pm
Sunshine, be sure and let us know what you find out....hope it is only an infection.
I understand this must be a very stressful time for you, my best wishes, remember we
are here for you..
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Back to Top
Sunshine13 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: Jun 18 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Status: Offline
Points: 24
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshine13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2010 at 9:12pm
HI Guys,
Thanks so much for the support.  Went back to surgeon today for a checkup.  Since the abscess seems to be responding to antibiotics, they want to give it another week before ordering a core biopsy.  Right now there are a few spots that look like cysts,  so surgeon didn't know what she would biopsy.  But doc seemed to feel it was more infection looking than new cancer.  Now I'm in the process of deciding which way to go for surgery.  Lumpectomy, Mastectomy or bi-lateral.  I saw three different docs and get three different opinions.  Talk about confusing!



DX 6/8/10. Age 52 IDC-triple negative. Stage 3, Grade 3 - 6 cm. BRAC1+
Started neoadjuvant chemo 7/9/10 Gemzar/Carbo/BIS201 (parp drug-Stanford trial)
Back to Top
123Donna View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 24 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Status: Offline
Points: 12867
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2010 at 9:33pm
Sunshine,

Hoping the infection clears up and it's nothing more serious.  Isn't it confusing trying to decide what type of surgery when you get 3 different recommendations?  I'm sure you'll decide what is best for you.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Back to Top
Sunshine13 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: Jun 18 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Status: Offline
Points: 24
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshine13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2010 at 9:48pm
Thanks Donna,
Yes it's very confusing.  May I ask why you decided on  bi-lateral surgery?

DX 6/8/10. Age 52 IDC-triple negative. Stage 3, Grade 3 - 6 cm. BRAC1+
Started neoadjuvant chemo 7/9/10 Gemzar/Carbo/BIS201 (parp drug-Stanford trial)
Back to Top
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 26 2009
Location: NS Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 2028
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2010 at 10:17pm
Hi Sunshine:
I had quadrectomy in May 09 and began chemo in July 09 but ended up with an abscess inside the tumor space and had to have another surgery in Aug 09.  I was packed with 2.5 yards of packing and each day was the VON measured, bathed and repacked the breast over the next 3.5 months until it finally closed.  In hindsight, I wish they had done the mastectomy, I would not have had as many problems and holdups with the chemo, low WBC's and having to take Neupogen injections, etc.  It was just a really bad time...I finished the Taxotere and Cyclophosphomide and then 5 weeks of radiation... In Aug 2010, I found another lump in the same breast but the last ultrasound did not reveal it so I am on holding pattern for three to six months....Not good...
Hope my info helps you to make the right decision...
Welcome and Hugs, Helen in NS
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
Back to Top
123Donna View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 24 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Status: Offline
Points: 12867
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2010 at 10:31pm
Sunshine,

The surgery decisions can be very confusing.  This is my personal story and may not match anyone else.  I was Stage 1 and if I had clear nodes, wanted to avoid radiation.  With a lumpectomy, I'd need radiation.  I also wanted to avoid chemo, but with tnbc, that wasn't an option.  However, at surgery time, I didn't know anything about tnbc so it really didn't play into my decision.  I had fibrocystic breasts and I always worried that it could recur and be difficult to catch early.  For me, I did not want to go through the agony of being diagnosed again with local or contralateral bc.  I agonized over the decision and after sleeping on it, it became clear to me what I should do.  I never looked back or regretted my decision.  After my bi-mx, my path report showed precancerous areas in both breasts. 
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.05
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd.