Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best shoes for neuropathy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
txhart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best shoes for neuropathy?
    Posted: Sep 26 2008 at 8:04am
Hi there gals,

I'm here to ask the experts!! What are the best shoes for neuropathy? My feet are driving me crazy with tingling and numbness.
Thanks in advance!!

Linda
Linda
age 48
Triple Negative Stage 2B
IDC 2.7
Diagnosed 7/24/08
12 rounds Paclitaxel
4 rounds FEC, surgery Feb 3, 6 wks of rad

esmense View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esmense Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2008 at 9:08am

Just stick with what is normally comfortable. I haven't found that any shoe makes a difference. I have been affected in both feet and hands, but the worst was a feeling that the circulation was being cut off in both arms and hands. It was a terrible feeling and kept me awake at night. I talked to my onc and he prescribed Gabapentin for the neuropathy -- you take one at night initially and if you don't get enough relief from that you can up the dosage to a second dose during the day. I'm just taking the medication at night (it causes drowsiness) -- still have a some  tingling in my hands (feet are pretty much back to normal) but the most bothersome symptom for me (feeling that I had no circulation in my hands and arms) was gone within 2 days of starting the drug.  

bcslayer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2008 at 9:34am
I heard somThumbs%20Upewhere that crocs make one called crocs rx and they are for people who are diabetic.  I was thinking of checking them out, I suffer also and my feet all day long.  I know you cant wear crocs everywhere but for kicking around they are comfy.  You can see them on their website crocs dx
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2008 at 10:29am
i bought a pair of croc sandals and loved them!  i also wear birkenstocks sandals and clod hoppers with inserts-no more sex and the city shoes for me.Cry
but the crocs have been great to wear this summer-my feet actually felt normal while wearing them.
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2008 at 11:22am
I found out by not wearing my ever loved flip flops and putting on a good sandal it has helped alot.  I don't like shoes, should go to Costa Rico with Donna and live on the beach but that's another lifetime I guess.

I did have a pair of crocs a couple of years ago and loved them.
It is dirt and rocky around our house so still wear them outside to help
keep my balance. 

Recently I was in a shoe store and I saw a croc like shoe, forget the brand but the inside of it was smooth.  They looked comfortable.

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
billie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2008 at 6:48pm
Hi Linda,
  This is your fellow houstonian,still with no power except a generator.It is getting rather expensive over here.The crew was here today and there was something broken on the tranformer .This was about 2:30pm and so they left and said that they would be back tomorrow morning at 8:30. am.Upset is not the best word to describe how we felt.
   Anyway,Linda ,about the tingling in the feet and hands.Get a perscription for Neurontin or .Lyrica, or the generic (the word starts with a g.)My sister started neurontin about 2 weeks prior to starting chemo and she was never bothered with this.In several of my postings I have mentioned taking this perscription for the neurapathy.(tingling in the hands and feet)
      How have you been doing?I sincerly hope that everything has gone ok for you.My sister was able to complete her radiation with out any interferrence with Ike. thankgoodness.Her last treatment was this past Tuesday.I have not heard from Kymmie lately.Do you still keep in touch with her?I sure hope that she is doing ok.If you do still stay in touch and she is also having the tingling in the hands and feet make sure that you tell her also about the neurontin.
        So u take care and here is lots and lots of huggggssss.     Billie
Billie posting for sis Betty/67/caucasion female/diagnosed 2-27-08/gradeIII/7mm/invasive ductal carcinoma/T N /clear margins/node neg/4 X's taxotere-cytoxan/36 rads/7-08 PET/CT double image/no cancer
txhart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2008 at 3:57am
Hi Billie,
I'm so sorry about the power outage. That is so frustrating. I was very blessed to get mine back on because I was feeling pretty scrawny after my last chemo and the heat just intensifies it.
Thanks for the info on the meds. Of course you've probably mentioned it several times, but I wasn't paying attention until I was affected and knew what neuropathy was.
Yes, I keep in touch with Kymmie. Last time I saw her was week before last. We happened to have treatment on the same day, which was nice. We sat out on the balcony/deck with her mom and my daughter and talked for a while before treatment. I so glad we met and keep in touch. She only has one more treatment! YAY for her.
Thanks again for the information. That's why I come here first!!
Thankful as always,
Linda
Linda
age 48
Triple Negative Stage 2B
IDC 2.7
Diagnosed 7/24/08
12 rounds Paclitaxel
4 rounds FEC, surgery Feb 3, 6 wks of rad

Lisa L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 7:09am

Linda,

I am 3 years out from DX and still suffer with neuropathy in my feet.  I take B-6 and L-glutamine daily, and can tell the difference if I stop one or the other. You need to take it for a couple of weeks at least before you can feel the difference,  I tried neurontin, but didnt like the side effects.  As for shoes.  I keep socks on almost 24/7, which seems to help.  I also need to wear wide width shoes now, which I didnt before.  During treatment and about 6 weeks after was the worst part.  Birkenstocks and Crocs were the only thing I could wear.  Good luck!

Dx 8/05 age 43
mast & lat flap 10/05
Triple neg
BRCA neg
IDC 4.5cm rt br
0/1 sen node
6 A/C 5 Taxol, 25 rads 11/05-6/06
Central Illinois
Currently NED
Nancy Bell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2008 at 6:31am

Linda,

My onc gave me a prescription called Folbec.  It is a combination B12, B6 & folic acid.  It has helped alot. It is getting better all the time.

They originally gave me Gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) but one of the side effects is edema.  Of course, I got it. I was so swollen that it intensified the neuropathy big time.  So I told him I refuse to take it!  I was already up to 3 pills per day because it wasn't doing anything.

I feel much better about taking vitamins to heal it anyway!
Nancy

dx 8/17/2007 IDC Grade 3 Stage2
lumpectomy 9/19/2007
1.2cm w/extension into multiple intramammary lymph nodes
SNL 0/1
Ki-67 81%
Dose Dense AC/T completed 2/21/08
37 rads completed 5/02/08
Galina2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galina2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2008 at 4:26pm

I had very bad neuropathy: all skin off, nails off, tingling and sharp pain. I could not step on my feet for several months. No medication was offered. I finally discovered feet REFLEXOLOGY. I have borowed a book from the bookstore, read it and started massaging some spots. Took a while to even touch it! I have spend at least 20-30 min. 3x/day massaging! After about 3-4 month tingling is managable, sharp pain only sometimes and I get get out of bed in 10 min.! You can try it, doesn't cost anything! Thumbs%20Up

Anybody has one or both hand/arms "sleepy" or "no feeling"? Especially at night? Feels more like a neck spine problem than neuropathy.(?)

Believing is 50%!Dx 7/10/07, Lumpectomy 8/24/07, double mast/no recont. 10/01/07, IDC, 3 cm, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, Stage IIA, ER-/PR- HER2- Age 48, chemo 11/23/07 lung spots 3/08
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic