FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Basal-HER2 Pheotype

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basal-HER2 Pheotype
    Posted: May 27 2008 at 12:26pm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18045647?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=3&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

"Previous studies have shown conflicting results on prognostic significance of basal-like breast tumors, but hormone receptor is a confusing factor in most of the prognostic evaluations."
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Christie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 5:58pm
Pam,

I'm not sure I'm interpretting this article correctly.  Are they saying that if you have the BRCA 1 gene you have a poorer prognosis or if you're HER2 + you have a poorer prognosis.  It's late, I'm tired, and the article has me confused.  Usually I can make sense of these studies, but for some reason, this one has me puzzled!?!?

Christie
DX 4/05 WHILE PREGNANT AT AGE 34, 1.9 CM IDC, TN, GRADE 3, BRCA1+, 21 NEG LYMPH NODES, B/L MAST W/ RECONST., 4 CYCLES AC CHEMO, PROPHYLACTIC SALPINGOOPHRECTOMY, MARRIED 11 YRS W/ 3 BOYS, 9, 5, AND 2.
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 3:16am
Christie I wanted you to know I haven't forgotten your question.  I have printed off the article to see if I can wade thru the mud.Wink
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 4:15am
Christie I'll give it a shot, been carrying this around with me to read when I get a chance.
The best I can tell, and this is only me saying this, they categorized 713 consecutive hormone receptive-neg invasive breast cancer into 3 groups

Her2 (her2 +) , basal -like HER 2, any basal marker + any null (HER2 - all basal marker -)

"The HER2 phenotype was subdivided into pure-HER2 )HER2+, all basal markers - )and vimentin, and BRCA 1 was assessed immunohistochemistry.  Basal - like tumors showed significantly higher grade, more frequent recurrence and higher expression of vimentin and p63 than HER2 and null phenotypes.  However, unlike all the other hormone receptor phenotypes, they highly expressed BRCA1. Basal - HER2 phenotype had significantly younger mean age and expressed a higher level of p53 ane vimentin receptor - negative phenotypes, they highly expressed BRCA1. 

"No significant difference was found in 5-year overall survival among basal-like and the other hormone receptor-negative phenotypes, except for basal HER, which showed poorer 5 - year overall survival than basal-like tumors.

"Conclusion although basal-like breast tumors have distinctive clinicopathologic and immunohistochemistry features, they have similiar 5 - year survival compared with the other hormone receptor-negative tumors including HER2 and null phenotypes.  However, there exists a small group of hormone receptor-negative tumors expressing HER2 and basal markers simultaneously.  This small group of tumors show significantly poorer 5  - year overall survival than basal-like breast tumors and might require different treatment strategy."

My printed copy had such teeny print it was very hard to read but I hope I have helped you in some way.  If not please ask more questions.

-

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Christie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2008 at 5:13pm

Pam,

Thank you.

Christie
DX 4/05 WHILE PREGNANT AT AGE 34, 1.9 CM IDC, TN, GRADE 3, BRCA1+, 21 NEG LYMPH NODES, B/L MAST W/ RECONST., 4 CYCLES AC CHEMO, PROPHYLACTIC SALPINGOOPHRECTOMY, MARRIED 11 YRS W/ 3 BOYS, 9, 5, AND 2.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic